600E Processor compability problem

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

Sharedoc wrote:So you let the last smoke out of the PIII-500. Good that the motherboard wasnot toasted.

You want't to try again 100MHzbus with the next processor?

Did you ever consider buying a MMC2-Celeron? They come with 66MHz bus, so I have understood. I have seen MMC2-Celerons up to 700MHz in eBay.

I am not totally sure if over 466MHz Celerons are with 66MHz bus, but 466 and lower are for sure with 66MHz bus.

8) THE 600E WORKS PERFECT WITH A MMC2 CELERON 433/66,@466/72FSB)
*THE 450 MMC2 +UP CELERONS ARE LATEST MODEL COPPERMINE SPEC WITH ENHANCED MULTIMEDIA INSTRUCTIONS +100FSB NATIVE FSB
WITH THE FSB MOD IT RAN APPROX 490/108MGHZ +DESPITE ITS 128 CACHE ,EASILY OUTPERFORMED A DESKTOP P2 EVEN WITH 512L2 CACHE ONBOARD,THAT CPU WAS THE COOLEST RUNNING CPU I OBSERVED ON THE THINKPADS +I HONESTLY DIDN'T NOTICE ANY DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE TO THE 650 (256) CPU I TRIED
OF ALL CPUS THAT 450@490 REALLY SURPRISED ME OVERALL.
I RECKON THOSE CPUS WOULD OVERCLOCK EXTREMELY WELL.

8O HE HE ,I MODDED THE TUALATIN CPU +IT BOOTS AUTOMATICALLY @ 1.6 GHZ ON MY DUAL TYAN MOBO + RUNS A TREAT.
:cry: BUT NO SMP AS YET,GOT SOME 1466/256/133 ,P111 SPEC READY
+1600/256/133 ,NOW WORKING ON 1733 MGZ VERSION BUT VERY HARD TO FIND THE RIGHT CPU TO MOD.ALL THESE LEFT THE SINGLE 1.4 S FOR DEAD SO MUCH SO THAT I SOLD MY 1.4S +BOUGHT A FEW MORE CPUS TO MOD.PLENTY OF LIFE IN THE P111 INDEED :D
wmarcusm
BIOS Newbie

Sharedoc wrote:You need to disassemble the laptop and take off the motherboard. At the lower side there is clock generator (IMISG577). Equivalent spec can be downloaded

http://www.standardics.philips.com/prod ... ck2000.pdf

Please check pin#25 (sel100/66) when power is on: 0V=L=66MHz, 3,3V=H=100Mhz. If it keeps low (0V), you can cut the folio and tie it to 3,3V with a 1kohm resistor. That shoud force 100MHz.

For pictures, take a look http://mav.nifty.com/ahp/textview.cgi?b ... +28067+106
FYI. I have a TP 2645-55U. I noticed after a PIII-650 (MMC2) upgrade that the fsb was running at 66mhz. I cut pin 25 on the sg577 clock
generator which is tied low on this motherboard and then tied pin
25 to vddref - pin 48 with a 1k resistor (I could not locate the pull-down resistor after searching for an hour with a VOM - but it is there :-).

TP now boots at 100mhz fsb - runs great.

Thanks for sharing all the great H/W information.
wmarcusm
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Kippis - Cheers - Prosit
chantage
New visitors - please read the rules.

wmarcusm wrote: FYI. I have a TP 2645-55U. I noticed after a PIII-650 (MMC2) upgrade that the fsb was running at 66mhz. I cut pin 25 on the sg577 clock
generator which is tied low on this motherboard and then tied pin
25 to vddref - pin 48 with a 1k resistor (I could not locate the pull-down resistor after searching for an hour with a VOM - but it is there :-).

TP now boots at 100mhz fsb - runs great.

Thanks for sharing all the great H/W information.
I also have a TP600E that runs at 66MHz FSB with a 600MHz P-III. Because of Speedstep, the clock multiplier is set to 5x, making the CPU run at 333MHz, just like Raistlin's.

I think there are several different versions of the 600E system board. I have seen three or four different part numbers for the system board, and I actually have two different ones. The old version has fixes (jump wires) around the eeprom, and the layout is significantly different. For example, the new version has the eeprom on the top side, but the old version has it on the bottom side.

My TP600E originally had a later system board, but I replaced it with an older one because it was password locked. I have a hunch that the old version is hardwired to 66MHz FSB.

I will try rewireing the clock generator chip tonight.

BTW, will the eeproms on two different versions of system board be exchangeable?
Chantage
Raistlin
BIOS Newbie

I believe that if all the pins have the same function, there would be no problem.. What do you think sharedoc? BTW I got another mobo for my 600E, and true enaugh, it was a later version than the one I modded, the P3 600mhz got in right away.. But a problem with the cache memory of course.. But that was an easy fix :) Thks again sharedoc heheh
Women, can do without 'em, can't do without 'em
chantage

Raistlin wrote:I believe that if all the pins have the same function, there would be no problem.. What do you think sharedoc? BTW I got another mobo for my 600E, and true enaugh, it was a later version than the one I modded, the P3 600mhz got in right away.. But a problem with the cache memory of course.. But that was an easy fix :) Thks again sharedoc heheh
they are identical chips but I am worried about the content. If you install a blank chip the TP won't boot. BTW, Raistlin, congrats on your "new" TP600E!

chantage
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

To my understanding there are at least two newest but different bios versions out for different serial numbers, so I don't think there is full interchangeability of bios-EEPROMs.

My 600E 2645-4A0 has bios-EEPROM on the lower side of the motherboard and it has bios version INET36.
Raistlin
BIOS Newbie

True now that you way that.. my 600E 2645-4BU is using INET36WW just like your 4A0, but my 600E 2645-55U was using IHET47WW .. And if I remember right, my "old" 55U was on the front side, and my "new" 4BU is on the lower side. But anyhow, both motherboards are alike, but still a difference in circuitry.. Thanks chantage, and my advise would almost be to get 2 old motherboard and do a test before attempting a such on your motherboard.. My guts tells me that it could work, although my common sence tells me to shut up and smart the **** up. LOL

*CHEERS*
Women, can do without 'em, can't do without 'em
chantage

Now my TP is running at 500MHz!

I lifted the pin 25 off the PCB and attached an 1K SMD register
I got from an old broken sound card. I connected the other end
of the register to the pin 48 using a short wire.

I bypassed error 127 and tried to boot the system only to see the
BSOD. It went away after disabling the onboard ram.

I am happy with the power consumption level at 500 MHz so not
planning on the speedstep mod.

-chantage
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Kippis - Cheers - Prosit
chantage

Sharedoc wrote:To my understanding there are at least two newest but different bios versions out for different serial numbers, so I don't think there is full interchangeability of bios-EEPROMs.

My 600E 2645-4A0 has bios-EEPROM on the lower side of the motherboard and it has bios version INET36.
I see a Intel flash chip on board near the so-dimm sockets. I thought that is for storing the BIOS.

-chantage
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

It could be bios-EEPROM. If you peel white IBM sticker off, it should be of type 28F004.