Acer 1360 bios beeps!!!!!! Help

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
nyqa
New visitors - please read the rules.

I just found this thread after my Acer Aspire 1360 stop booting after a BIOS upgrade to 1.15

Is there anyway to restore the bios without an usb-floppydrive? Maybe with a bootable CD-ROM instead?

If this is possible I would really appriciate if someone could tell me what settings I should use for the cd-rom.

I hade downloaded the crisis.exe and created an boot-image with the filtype .IMZ
Can this be used as image source for a bootable CD-rom? If it can, wich files should I also include on the CD?
ErikVelthuis

Sorry nyqa, only USB-floppy will work. I bought a second hand one online for 10 euros, which I think was worth the investment!
nickj633

Last night i tried the flash as mentioned previously.

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!! I now have a working, if slightly out of date laptop again :D .... now its time to look for upgrades... anyone know what decewnt upgrades can be done to a 1360?

Nick
bios_grabber

andrejusj wrote:
gearloose wrote:I have the same problem, flash the bios with version 1.15.
But fixing the problem hasn't worked yet.

-I grabbed the rar file you mentioned and created the bootdisk, and
placed the .exe and .wph on it.
-Removed power and battery
-Switched both switches on.
-Connected USB floppy drive with bootflop
-Switched the notebook on, with fn+esc pressed

after that nothing happens.....

Well, I have the same problem and i find solution. Try to remove one SoDIMM RAM module. My Aspire 1363LMi originally come with 512MB of RAM (2x256MB SoDIMMs). After upgrade i have 1,2 GB on board (1GB and 256MB SoDIMMs) ant doing above steps nothing happened. I spend a lot of time trying different key combinations and similar solutions like this one: forums. mydigitallife. info/showthread.php?t=2105. Finally i just removed non-original 1GB module, leaving one 256MB and voila - FDD start to read crisis disk and i repaired my Acer. Good luck.
Thanks, andrejusj, you saved my notebook :)

I had the same problem: After switching number 2 to "on", the PC didn't even try to access the floppy drive anymore.

I also upgraded my RAM, from originally 2x256MB to 2x512MB.
After changing the RAM back to original state, it suddenly worked.

BTW: I found the BIOS 1.14 here:
http://www.driversdown.com/drivers/ACER ... 8752.shtml
cyberwiz

The solution tony gave worked for me after removing the 1GB RAM I had installed myself. So I kep only the 256MB of original RAM.

Also, if you have troubles finding a bios or crisis disk, you can find that here :

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/showpo ... tcount=600

That one is a modded version of the latest working bios 1.14

Hope this may help someone who still needs it :p
rolalber

tonybod & Co a BIG BIG THANK!
I'm Pc-Doctor in Italy and upgrade a stupid 1360 Aspire... flash bios to 1.15 and... you know what happend!
Incredible Acer support! Incredible. version 1.15 always on supportsite for download :-(((
Another BIG BIG THANK to tonybod!
Greetings .......... rolalber
Possession

Hi guys...

For some reason this method does not work for me, even though my ram is at its original configuration and I have followed all the steps carefully.
When I switch on the computer with fn + esc held down, and the to top-most switches set to on, the light on the usb stiffy drive comes on for 2 seconds and then goes off.
Surely if there was a problem with my disk it would have tried reading for a bit longer? In my case it doesn't seem to read at all.

What options do I have left? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
DCC

Hi, I have an Acer that was wrecked by that 1.15 windows based bios update.

I have tried all the steps many times over using a brand new IBM floppy drive and brand new Maxell floppy disks, nothing generally happens, but one time the laptop started making one long and two short ear splitting beeps followed by a tiny glimmer of light on the floppy drive, (which sounded to me like it was misreading), this process repeated for about 25 minutes until I decided it was not working. Should I have waited longer?

What sort of activity should the floppy drive be making? Surely it should be chugging and not just making a tiny spinning noise every two secs?

Are the beeps normal?

I can't even get it to repeat this process now!

It's so frustrating, this computer belongs to a customer and I desperately need it working.

Thanks in advance for any help!
DCC

I ended up changing the motherboard.

Why the hell do Acer have a bios for download that wrecks their own computers?

It's STILL there! :x
Joe
Chip off the ol' block

Just curious, how much did the replacement board cost?
Joe K
AQSTECH.com
Embedded / Surface Mount BIOS Repair Services
http://www.aqstech.com
Notebook / Laptop BIOS Repair
williams8899

The first link returned is hopefully titled "Removing Bios Hardware Password and Boot Block on Acer Aspire 1360". Click this, one of the replies contains the link for version 1.14 of the bios (search the page for acerpanam). The file you need is called ERB8114W.zip.

-------------------------------------------------
[admin] Adding a signature is not allowed for new users. Circumventing this rule by adding signature links in the message itself is also not allowed.
DCC

I got it free because luckily I know people with spares. There was one on Ebay last time I looked for £80 though! They're actually easy to replace.
peis

tonybod wrote:I had the same problem with my Acer Aspire 1360 (updated bios, and machine would not boot afterwards). I spent ages trying to work out what to do, and finally managed it using the process below.

I cannot post links (you need 10 posts to be able to do this). So instructions below could be clearer.

The main help came from another thread on this forum (search for posts by overklox, the thread is "Acer Aspire 5050 BIOS recovery from a bad flash--Blind flash").

(url: http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/topic10069.html)

Follow the initial post, step 1 contains the link to the crisis disk. Download it.

http://rapidshare.com/files/119994408/a ... k.zip.html

Unzip this, put a floppy disk in the drive and run crisis.exe (make sure "Writing on Floppy" is selected and click OK). This creates a disk with two files on it, delete the one called BIOS.WPH

Now use Google and search for "acer aspire 1360 bios 1.14 acerpanam" (without the quotes). The first link returned is hopefully titled "Removing Bios Hardware Password and Boot Block on Acer Aspire 1360". Click this, one of the replies contains the link for version 1.14 of the bios (search the page for acerpanam). The file you need is called ERB8114W.zip.

http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/data/7 ... B8114W.zip

Unzip this, and find the file called EXTV114.WPH (look in the DOS\Discrete sub directory). Copy this file to the floppy disk and rename it to BIOS.WPH

Unplug the power lead and take out battery from laptop.

Switch both switches (1 and 2) underneath the keyboard on.

Attach USB floppy drive to the laptop, press and Hold “Fn” and “Esc” buttons together, then while holding down the buttons, plug in AC and turn on computer. You should still be holding “Fn” and “Esc”

The USB floppy drive indicator light should be lit up and assessing the crisis disk (can hear it working).

Don’t turn off the computer. This will go on for 3-5 minutes, so let it be until it stops. I left the machine alone for 10 mins. The machine should keep beeping throughout the process.

Switch the two switches under the keyboard back to off.

Reconnect battery and turn machine on.

Hope this helps.

Tony.
Dude i'm doing the whole stuff here... i upgraded to 1.15, failed, and than followed your awesom steps...
but after the machine stops beeping, it remains turned on, do i have to wait that it turns off on it's own or do i have to turn it off manually?
I have no more beeps, and the usb floppy drive light is OFF now.
Possession

DCC wrote:I ended up changing the motherboard.

Why the hell do Acer have a bios for download that wrecks their own computers?

It's STILL there! :x
@DCC, Can you maybe take a picture of the BIOS chip from the old board? I want to order a replacement bios chip but have no idea what kind of one to get.
PM me if you can't post it here.

If someone has a bios version 1.14 for AMD machine with geforce graphics, please mail that to me too. Thanks

Thanks in advance.

Edit - Removed the OP's e-mail address. KW
Jens_Olsen

Thx TonyBod.

The old 1360 did get back to life, but i turned it of after 15 min.
And just followed your steps and i runs again.

Big Thx to you Tony.