Acer Aspire 5050 BIOS recovery from a bad flash--Blind flash

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
overklox
New visitors - please read the rules.

WARNING: Use this at your own discretion. I will not be responsible for your system

Symptoms: Your system powers on fine, but the BIOS doesn't post nor does the LCD power on

Fix:
Phoenix Crisis Disk & Original BIOS for Acer Aspire 5050

Note* You will need a USB floppy disk drive to do this
(instructions modified from here)

1. Download the crisis disk and the bios from here

2. Unzip them

3. Run Crisis.exe which starts the winimage self extractor. Be sure "Writing on Floppy" is selected. Click OK. This will create the crisis disk for you.

4. Delete the bios.wph file on the floppy disk. Copy the bios.wph file from the zip I provided to the floppy.

5. Unplug AC, take out battery from laptop

6. Attach USB floppy drive to laptop

7. Press and Hold “Fn” and “Esc” buttons together, then while holding down said buttons, plug in AC and turn on computer.
--->A. You should still be holding “Fn” and “Esc”

8. The power indicator light should stay lit up

9. The USB floppy drive’s indicator light should be lit up and assessing the Crisis Disk (can hear it working)

10. Don’t turn off the computer. This will go on for 3-5 minutes, so let it be until it stops. The system will restart on its own.

I successfully recovered my piece of crap Acer Aspire 5050-5554 using the above...funny thing I had sent it out for repair and the company said it was toast LOL
Last edited by overklox on Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
elbubi

Hi Overklox =)

Thank so much for your post and your help.

I have an Aspire 7720G and I wonder how did you get your "bios.wph" file. I´ve downloaded my bios file from Acer´s site but it´s an ".fd" file. Should it work only by renaming it to "bios.wph" ???

Once again, thank you very much.

Kind Regards.
overklox

elbubi wrote:Hi Overklox =)

I have an Aspire 7720G and I wonder how did you get your "bios.wph" file. I´ve downloaded my bios file from Acer´s site but it´s an ".fd" file. Should it work only by renaming it to "bios.wph" ???

Kind Regards.
This post is only for owners of an Acer Aspire 5050. I would recommend doing a search in these forums for any BIOS concerns on the 7720G. If you are experiencing sound issues with an Acer laptop, most of them use realtek audio chipsets. You can always get the latest drivers from here.
elbubi

overklox wrote:

Kind Regards.
This post is only for owners of an Acer Aspire 5050. I would recommend doing a search in these forums for any BIOS concerns on the 7720G. If you are experiencing sound issues with an Acer laptop, most of them use realtek audio chipsets. You can always get the latest drivers from here.
Thanks for answering.

As you say, I do have sound issues with me laptop, and I´ve downloaded and updated BIOS several times. I just wanted to know how or where did you get de "wph" file. I will use this procedure at my own risk of course, I just wanted to have it ready for using it if one of my regular BIOS updates goes wrong...

PD: I do have latest Realtek drivers installed, although they don´t fix the problem. Thank you anyway =).

Kind Regards =)
overklox

elbubi wrote:
overklox wrote:

Kind Regards.
Thanks for answering.

As you say, I do have sound issues with me laptop, and I´ve downloaded and updated BIOS several times. I just wanted to know how or where did you get de "wph" file. I will use this procedure at my own risk of course, I just wanted to have it ready for using it if one of my regular BIOS updates goes wrong...

PD: I do have latest Realtek drivers installed, although they don´t fix the problem. Thank you anyway =).

Kind Regards =)
The .wph file is the file extension on the Aspire 5050 BIOS. I would ask around the forums to see what flashing method you would use for the 7720G.
elbubi

overklox wrote:
elbubi wrote:
overklox wrote: This post is only for owners of an Acer Aspire 5050. I would recommend doing a search in these forums for any BIOS concerns on the 7720G. If you are experiencing sound issues with an Acer laptop, most of them use realtek audio chipsets. You can always get the latest drivers from here.
Thanks for answering.

Kind Regards =)
The .wph file is the file extension on the Aspire 5050 BIOS. I would ask around the forums to see what flashing method you would use for the 7720G.
Hi and once again thanks for your kindness :wink:

I´ll wait to see if you find some answers to that issue. I just want to have a "backup" system to restore my BIOS in case regular updates goes wrong and I need to bring my lap to "life" again instead of throwing it to garbage can :?

Kind Regards :D
nashjc

I've a 5050-5554. Got "Internal server error" on trying to get the crisis file, even after waiting for the counter.

In truth, I've not had much trouble at all with my Acer, even though I've messed with it a bit to put in dual boot with Ubuntu. I was looking for BIOS update as possible solution to "blank screen" for about 10 seconds before GRUB comes up. However, may be better to let sleeping dogs lie.

WIll note that in Ubuntu I cannot (yet?) run webcam nor the SD card reader. Pity. Also have had big problems killing pagefile.sys, which uses a goodly chunk of my reduced WinXP region.

For info, apart from the cam and SD card stuff, the 5050 runs Ubuntu very nicely. You need to use Alsamixer to get control of the separated audio channels, but it's kind of neat to have both internal and external speakers at same time.

If there's need for a place for files to be placed for download, I've a couple of servers, and can set up an Acer 5050 wiki if there's demand.

JN
elbubi

nashjc wrote:I've a 5050-5554. Got "Internal server error" on trying to get the crisis file, even after waiting for the counter.

In truth, I've not had much trouble at all with my Acer, even though I've messed with it a bit to put in dual boot with Ubuntu. I was looking for BIOS update as possible solution to "blank screen" for about 10 seconds before GRUB comes up. However, may be better to let sleeping dogs lie.

WIll note that in Ubuntu I cannot (yet?) run webcam nor the SD card reader. Pity. Also have had big problems killing pagefile.sys, which uses a goodly chunk of my reduced WinXP region.

For info, apart from the cam and SD card stuff, the 5050 runs Ubuntu very nicely. You need to use Alsamixer to get control of the separated audio channels, but it's kind of neat to have both internal and external speakers at same time.

If there's need for a place for files to be placed for download, I've a couple of servers, and can set up an Acer 5050 wiki if there's demand.

JN
Thanks for your kindness dude :D
overklox

nashjc wrote:I've a 5050-5554. Got "Internal server error" on trying to get the crisis file, even after waiting for the counter.

JN
I've updated the link to the crisis disk.
fillospike

I have a Acer Aspire 5570z (5570 -2052 553 Mhz windows Vista) and in the manual tells me that i can upgrade pu to 4 gb ram so i did. But bios just recognice 2 GB, SO I check in some forums and probably the best solution that i have was to upgrade bios ( I already paid 120 Dollars for the two 2 gb ram), and so i did. or at least I try. I used flash bios from acer for my specific laptop and OS, but it give a fail, when i tried it again it didnt find the files. I dont weant to give u a long history but my computer is useless now, when i try to turned on, it gives me a black screen and no beeps at all, it use bios phoenix by the way, and I had try to follow the previous post but nothing happens, can anybody help me to fix it?? My tesis is on it, and i cant have my degree until i get it fixed, thanks for all

fillo

by the way, does anyboday have the service manual for this notebook?? I am begining to hate acer enterprice...
Artificiallife

Would this guide possibly work with a USB to IDE adapter and a hard disk?
dominion_vortar

I've followed the instructions to the letter, and it accesses the floppy for a while, and then nothing happens.. Any help please???
cbbella

is it possible to run this from a usb flash drive or must it be a usb floppy drive
Kay

guys, can flashing bios fixed my laptop?
it clock is stopped even replaced the coin bios battery.
its cousing hard to boot up and scroll down action is to slow...
tx for ur help in advance
pepe123

This method doesn't work all the time!!!

I had a similar problem almost a year ago. and did just that:
floppy with phoenix crisis and .wph file. This was caused by a bad bios build from PBE. Now I now that I shouldn't use PBE for this laptop.

On startup the pc found the floppy, it spinned up for 20 sec and then nothing. I even tried it with a usb stick. It was found, maybe even read but nothing. I tried this several times, also with different keys (Fn+b, win+b, fn+esc). At the end I had to send it for repair.

The guys just replaced the mobo and now I have a pc with product name YYpire 3050!!!

This comes down to question how bad the problem is. I'm glad it worked for someone but my experience showed me something else. Now it's fine with my dual boot: fedora and win7.