Acer aspire 5742g bios dead

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
rasasp
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello there, i have a aspire 5742g that after change the monitor as gone away, i tried to restore it by esc - FN and pute the file name PEW71x64.fd but nothing happens , ´can anybody help is very urgent.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

after change what?
what has gone away?

If you are trying to recover, put the file on a fat16/fat32 formatted usb drive or CD/DVD. Not NTFS.

2. Keep the battery plugged in.
3. While holding Fn+Esc, plug in the AC adapter. You should see the ring around the power button light up for a moment. If it doesn't light up, you probably have a hardware issue.
4. Release Fn+Esc.
5. Press the Power button. Fan should spin up.
6. Insert the disc into the DVD drive and wait. Machine shall power off eventually.
7. Turn the machine back on, and reconfigure the BIOS.

If you get stuck anywhere in this process, then remove the battery and the main bottom cover, short the internal battery for 10 seconds (to clear the CMOS), re-assemble the laptop, and start over from step 2.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
nycu

I have tried this procedure on Aspire 5742 but nothing happens, the machine does not stop.
The usb drive has to be formatted with a special software or the bios file has to be put on the usb drive in a certain way?
Help please help.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

the USB drive needs to be visible in plain old DOS or windows 95, that is what the recovery mechanism is using. In windows you can format your USB stick in the same way you would do with a floppy. Make sure the format is FAT16 or FAT32. After you have done that, copy the bios file to the stick. Make sure the stick and file are read-write.

Follow the procedure steps, no need to put in de disc in the DVD ofcourse, you are using the USB stick. If it is not showing the ring around the power button in step 3, even after repating all from step 2, the laptop is dead.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

BlackHooDroidz

Sir Edwin I have same problem with this and I try right now is this normal that there is no screen while running the bios recovery? and how many minutes it takes? thanks to your instruction..
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

it is normal to have no screen during recovery and the procedure should only take a few minutes (from what i see reported, usually less than 5 minutes) and the machine should power off by itself after completing the recovery.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

coqui3L

Hi Edwin. It's been awhile since your last post on this topic. I'm writing because I've encountered the same problem in this topic and I've tried everything I can think of relating to your suggestion but I've had no luck. I've formatted 2 usb mem sticks to fat32 and copied over both the full bios update and just the *.fd file. I've also tried a cdr and a cdrw. I've always pulled out the battery, unplugged the power, depressed the power button for at least 10 secs to suck out any remaining juice, taken out the cmos battery, shorted the pins for at least 10 secs, reinserted the cmos battery, laptop battery, inserted the media either into the cdrom or the usb port on the right furthest from the screen, pressed and held fn+esc before inserting the ac adapter cable, released after a sec or two followed by pressing the power button which results in the blue led turning and staying on, the cpu fan blowing steady, the hdd led flickering for about a min. along w/ either the cdrom led or the usb mem stick led flickering for about 15 secs and then a big nothing. The laptop and the cpu fan just stay on w/ no apparent activity from the media or harddrive. I feel oh so close to the solution but I'm not there yet. Please help if you're still around and willing. Thanks.

coqui
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

power off, unplug the harddisk and DVD drive, try again. I have seen cases where they are preventing the machine from recovering properly because they were the problem in the first place.

And IIRC this model line has an issue with the video chip not being soldered properly, fixing that requires stripping the mainboard to its bare minimum and baking it in an oven for 5-7 minutes on 200 degrees celcius (no kidding).
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything