Asus EEE PC 1201N Bios Updated, now laptop won't start

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
kiwidan
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have an Asus EEE PC 1201N.
Today I decided to update the BIOS to the latest version (0325) to try to correct a problem with a bluetooth keyboard not being able to wake the laptop from sleep.
I performed the BIOS update through the "ASUS update utility" http://support.asus.com/technicaldocume ... spx?no=714 using the "update BIOS from the internet" method. I may have made a mistake, as I had not read the "Rules for Safe BIOS update" on the ASUS page. I did not do the following:

3. Load "Setup Default" in BIOS menu before BIOS Update.
6. Disable any existing Anti-Virus applications in the system.
8. Switch on the PC and load "Setup Default" in BIOS again.

When I restarted the computer I noticed that it was behaving strangely. I had it plugged into a plasma TV and the display kept disappearing. Also, I noticed that the power status in the task bar showed it did not think a battery was inserted in the laptop even though it was.

I tried restarting and got the following message:

PLEASE ENTER SETUP TO RECOVER BIOS SETTING
PRESS F1 TO RUN SETUP
PRESS F2 TO LOAD DEFAULT VALUES AND CONTINUE

When I press F2 the computer just goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor at the top left.
If I press F1 I can't see any settings that would solve the problem (as far as I know)

I tried using EZ Flash to go back to the previous BIOS version (maybe this is impossible?) and then I tried using EZ Flash to reload the most recent BIOS version again and the pc reported it was successful.

Now when I turn on the notebook it gets up to "checking NVRAM" and then just goes to the blinking cursor.

Is there something wrong with the motherboard, or has the BIOS update caused some problem, or is it something else?

Is there anything I can do to fix this myself, or will it need to be repaired by a service center?

Thanks
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Are you still able to enter the Bios via F1 key ? If yes enter Bios and load setup defaults.
If not try to clear CMOS.
kiwidan

Denniss wrote:Are you still able to enter the Bios via F1 key ? If yes enter Bios and load setup defaults.
If not try to clear CMOS.
Hi Deniss, Thanks very much for your reply.
I am able to enter the BIOS menu using the F2 key. Loading setup defaults doesn't seem to help unfortunately.

Here are the screens I can see:

Pressing F9 doesn't load System Recovery, it still just goes through to the blinking underscore character.

I have tried draining the battery by removing the battery and power and pressing the power button for 1 minute but that had no effect. I have opened up the laptop to try the other methods for clearing the CMOS, but I've noticed there is a "warranty void if seal broken or removed" sticker on one of the screws. There are some gaps in the cover which reveal the board but it doesn't look like I'll be able to clear the CMOS without removing the sticker :(

Maybe my only option is to send the laptop back to Asus? I'm not sure if problems caused by BIOS updates are covered by warranty though.

Thanks
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

In the onboard devices settings, do you have an option to set USB to non-bootable devices only?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
ragtap

I have exactly the same problem, did you found any solution?

Thanx alot in advance!
ChristyB

Try changing the IDE mode to enhanced - sata as IDE- and the primary IDE Master as auto. After working on one of these for a few hours, my son grabbed it from me and just changed it and it enabled windows to boot again. The default settings for bios were not working at all.