Bios / Cmos optimal defaults strange issue [AMI]

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
SystemLord
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi,

I have encountered a stange issue which i can't resolve.
We use a lot of VIA EPIA LT10000 motherboards were a lot them have a difference in performance.

After a long search i can solve this by loading the optimal defaults. But still have no reason what exactly the problem was and how to indentify this.

I compared the bios settings bewteen a good working and a bad working board, from the bios gui i can't find any difference.
Even with amisce from the ami toolkit it seems both are having the same settings.

So is it possible that loading optimal defaults can do settings that are not visable.
If so, is there any way to detemine this by for example dumping the bios/cmos to a file and where to look.

Other things i noticed:

- Tried to flash bios remotely (afuwin) with the l2 switch but in the end optimal setting were not loaded until enter the bios without changing anything, did a save and exit, tried it remote again and it worked.

I hope someone can help me clear this up, because even the vendor is not able to help me further at the moment. :cry:
cp
BIOS Guru

So is it possible that loading optimal defaults can do settings that are not visable.
If so, is there any way to detemine this by for example dumping the bios/cmos to a file and where to look.
both yes. there are ususally hidden bios options that have a default value and a value that is loaded on optimized defaults.
you can determine the difference in the bios settings by dumping the cmos contents or take a look at the hidden options with a (AMI) bios editor.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
SystemLord
New visitors - please read the rules.

SystemLord wrote:both yes. there are ususally hidden bios options that have a default value and a value that is loaded on optimized defaults.
you can determine the difference in the bios settings by dumping the cmos contents or take a look at the hidden options with a (AMI) bios editor.
Thanks, since i am a noob at bios: when dumping the contents (which i can compare at file level) there are differences, to see what it is i am missing some knowlegde, are there any layouts of the registers to match what is what.... :oops:

The ami bios editor you mention is that amibcp or mmtool?