Bios & Memory Expansion Issue - Help please

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Does the manual mention specific compatible Memory Modules (or something like that)?
marky
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi KachiWachi,
The upgrade part of the manual states it can use 60 or 70ns memory however it does not specify if you can mix and match. Nor does it mention suitable makes.
This biggest issue seems to be the limitations within the bios itself. I've never seen such a basic layout on any PC. I'm used to the all singing all dancing bios that allows you to change everthing. Pitty I can't seem to find a suitable upgrade revision.

Thanks
cp
BIOS Guru

the performance drop when using both modules is rather strange. do memory errors show up in memtest86+ with both 2-module combinations?

notebook bios usually have no options besides some real basic stuff as they use a fixed hardware setup that doesn't need any user intervention.
marky

The Memtest program I originally used does report some errors occasionally.
I ran 3 full tests with Memtest86 and it reported no errors.

I've just got a weird notebook... :x
KachiWachi
The New Guy

60-70nS *usually* refers to DRAM...not SDRAM.

I'm not sure how this would tie in but... :roll:
cp
BIOS Guru

60-70nS *usually* refers to DRAM...not SDRAM.
60-70ns referes to tRAC (RAS to active/command time) and says how much time it takes to see some data at the pins if you issue a memory access. Even in SDRAM there's such a time. However, SDRAM is marked by the clock cycle time that it can take. If you have a SDRAM module marked 6ns the maximum FSB it is supposed to run at is 1/6ns ~ 166MHz.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

@cp -

That's what I was refering to.

I guess it depends on the exact wording in the manual.
marky

Well guys sorry to revive this old topic but I've still got problems.
As you recall I had mismatched memory modules that were causing the BSOD.

Kingston Tech kindly offered to replace the older memory module for a one produced the same time as my newer one. Everything appeared matched and they were date stamped the same however the memory chips were again of a different make... 8O

Now the blues are back saying DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL & Check for low disc space and video adapters, which of coarse is shared memory from the modules.

Here is the data sheet for the new memory

http://www.elpida.com/pdfs/E0984E10.pdf

and the supposedly matched existing memory

http://www.promos.com.tw/website/html/e ... 6164VD.pdf

I'm still thinking the modules are not matched in timing hence the problem. The promoss memory appears to self adjust its timing up to 166mhz according to what it receives. My system memory should run at 133mhz. Reversing the modules made no difference. Memtest 86 reported no errors after several sweeps but Memtest which runs under windows did! Again as before the system memory speed was reduced by 10% the when two modules were added. 221mbs down to 199mbs.

Any comments gratefully received.

Thanks guys....Mark