bios newbie question on a Gateway notebook

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
wimsbios2048
New visitors - please read the rules.

System: Gateway Solo 9150, 10GB FUJI HD, 256MB RAM, WinME/Linux, PhoenixNote BIOS 4.0 rev 5.3

After 2 calls to Gateway "technical" support (which seems like nothing more than sales), and specifically asking if the BIOS would support it, I was assured I could put a 60GB drive on the system with no problems. In fact, both support reps wanted to sell me a 60 G Hitachi.

Not wanting to pay their prices, I bought the drive elsewhere. On installation, the BIOS would not recognize the drive. The HD setup screen won't take the high (c,h,s) numbers needed. Its a longer story, but I eventually found a page on the GW site saying the 9150s only support HDs up to 30G. So the a**hole tech guys wanted to sell me a HD my system wouldn't even support.

My BIOS is the latest GW supplies, 2001. I'm wondering if this is just a "Gateway" BIOS limitation. EG, would it be possible to flash with a non-GW Phoenix BIOS that has support for larger drives? Or would GW have done some customizations in their BIOS that I wouldn't get in another BIOS?

Or should I just go get a 30G and move on?

(BTW, I don't know what the mobo is. I'd like to find out what I can do first)

Thanks for any help.
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

If you still can return the 60G to the shop and exchange it to 30G this is the easiest way. 30G is plenty for a old laptop.