Compaq C300 - multiple screen problems

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
danp4jc
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi all, my first time posting here.

I have a Compaq Presario C300EA, and it's been working great until last week when it decided to fail.

Here are the problems that I hope you might be able to help me with.

the screen is now stuck on 800x600px resolution. However it is presented as literallly 800px by 600px from the top left leaving about 400px column that is black to the right and about 200px underneath where the desktop is duplicated.

The screen occasionally goes completely black (as if there was no backlight - if you look hard enough you can just make out the content on the screen).

I hope you can help.

... here's what I have tried.

Updating the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator - resolution still stuck at 800x600px and desktop tiled below with black column to right.

Updating BIOS to most recent from hp.com - resulted in an over stretched 800x600px desktop that outsized the monitor cutting off the bottom half of the desktop but leaving a 100px (approx) black column to right. Going into the graphic properties I was able to change the resolution from 800x600px to the next one up.

I've been searching around forums for days with no success. I decided to revert back to the F.05 A BIOS as I can actually see the whole desktop.

Your help would be very much appreciated.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Install the latest version of the Intel graphics drivers from here:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchR ... amilyId=39
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
danp4jc

Thanks for the quick reply. Updating the driver was the first thing I tried. Made no difference at all.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Maybe the monitor or the internal cabling is damaged, do you have an external monitor to check the graphics functionality there ?
danp4jc

plugged it into external monitor, works fine.