cyrix mediaGX

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
pollux
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello, all. This is my first post. I will attempt to describe my situation in some detail.

I have a compaq presario 1230 notebook computer with a Cyrix mediaGX processor. I am having problems using a DSL internet connection on this machine. I have 2 possible ways of connecting to the DSL modem provided by my ISP (which is called "Free" and is located in France, like me & the computer). The first way involves a USB driver that requires Windows 98 SE; I am running Windows 98 first edition, although with all available MS updates. Under USB, there are periodic system freezes that I have not been able to resolve. The second way of connection to the modem, and according to the ISP user forums this is in fact preferable, is by means of an Ethernet card. I bought a Trust plug n play 100/10 card, only to find that the system does not recognize it when it is plugged in.

I addressed myself to the "customer communities" of compaq (now hp), and it was suggested that I upgrade the BIOS. My understanding is that it seems to be a BIOS problem because Windows 98 does recognize the PCMCIA card slot and install the proper windows drivers correctly. However, the PCMCIA is not recognized or set up in the BIOS for some reason, and for this reason Win98 does not know when a card is inserted.

I downloaded the most recent BIOS flash from compaq/hp and was able to install it successfully. I set it to defaults. However, this has not changed the fact that the BIOS does not set up the PC card, something confirmed by using 3rd party DOS-based system diagnostics. Incidentally, I've taken the box apart and verified that the pins & connectors look good. In fact, I don't think it's a phyiscal problem with the hardware because Win98 finds the slot. No other support has been provided by compaq/hp.

So, I've been trying to find another BIOS upgrade (the manufacturer's is dated 1999). Of course, Cyrix corp has been bought & sold and is providing no support for its old products. I've not been able to locate an upgrade by searching with google and through various forums.

The current BIOS is a Phoenix BIOS that does not give any kind of identification number during boot. I believe that I have the Cyrix MediaGx Cx5510 chipset, 2A431, but maybe it is Cx5520 or Cx5530, I'm not sure how to determine this. The clock speed is 233 MHz.

In the course of my research, I have found updated Win9x drivers (including the PCI bridge) for the processor, which I suppose is good but hasn't fixed my issue with the PCMCIA card slot. Win98 system info reports no hardware conflicts and no problem devices.

Any ideas for how to proceed? As I last resort, I am thinking of upgrading to Win98 SE, but I'd rather save my money for the sake of buying a new PC than spending it on software that essentially obsolete - the machine does not have the resources for XP.

Thanks in advance,
pollux
pollux
New visitors - please read the rules.

Well, I've been doing more homework - some of which I suppose I ought to have done before posting, my apologies.

Is it correct that, by using the bootable diskette created with a compaq "softpaq" as per the instructions of compaq support, in fact I was not "flashing the BIOS" per se but instead updating the BIOS setup program somehow? Is it also the case that it is impossible to alter the BIOS of a compaq presario notebook in another way?

And, more generally, am I on the right track in thinking that the PC Card not being recognized is at least possibly a BIOS issue? I found an article in the MS Knowledge Base attributing this exact PC Card problem in compaqs to outdated BIOS. But whatever I did - flashing the BIOS or installing a softpaq - didn't help.

Sorry for the extraneous info in my first post. If anyone has any ideas about the PC Card problem, I'd like very much to hear.

pollux