Dead Dell Inspiron 1501

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
banzemanga
New visitors - please read the rules.

Yes, i know i did the worst thing that can ever happen to a computer. But i did it. So even if you yell at me or throw bad words at me; please, go easy on me.

Well, i flashed a Dell Inspiron 1501 bios without following any instructions. Now, the bios is gone and nothing boots at all. In other words, i am seeking for the solution of FAQs #34.

"34. I flashed my VIA chipset based motherboard with the correct BIOS upgrade and it died. Why ?"

I wonder how could i reset the bios? I know that it should be using some kind of cmos memory in upgrading bioses. So if i reset the cmos memory, i could get it back on its feet?
Dell_CA

Hello,

My name is Mike, I’m a Technical Analyst at Dell corporate headquarters in Round Rock, TX. I’m part of an internet outreach team developed to interact with the online community regarding technical questions and issues that customers face with Dell products. I read about your problem and wanted to chime in, unfortunately with my condolences. If a BIOS flash goes wrong and is not able to complete then the motherboard is toast.

In more technical terms, the system has no Basic Input/Output instructions. This basically means that the motherboard doesn’t know how to use any of the attached hardware prior to booting to the OS and loading the device drivers. The only thing that can really be done at this point is to have the motherboard replaced. If you’re still in warranty this would be covered. You can quickly check the warranty status here: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/ ... l=en&s=gen

Mike
Dell customer advocate
sigma

Hi Mike / Anyone,
I have the similar problem with Inspirn 1501. Is it possible some how to re-program the BIOS flash chip while it is still mounted on the mother board? Any other suggestions to recover from this problem?

Thanks.
nbitinfo

http://www.aqstech.com/

they physically fix motherboards
reprogram your BIOS chip
if it's doable they can do it !
phbaars

Dell_CA wrote:Hello,

My name is Mike, I’m a Technical Analyst at Dell corporate headquarters in Round Rock, TX. I’m part of an internet outreach team developed to interact with the online community regarding technical questions and issues that customers face with Dell products. I read about your problem and wanted to chime in, unfortunately with my condolences. If a BIOS flash goes wrong and is not able to complete then the motherboard is toast.

In more technical terms, the system has no Basic Input/Output instructions. This basically means that the motherboard doesn’t know how to use any of the attached hardware prior to booting to the OS and loading the device drivers. The only thing that can really be done at this point is to have the motherboard replaced. If you’re still in warranty this would be covered. You can quickly check the warranty status here: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/ ... l=en&s=gen

Mike
Dell customer advocate
Hi,
I disagree with you on this. There is still an active part in the bios, the emergency bootblock. You can start it (if you know how) and read what it is doing on an external screen. So Dell laptops have a recovery mode, all you need is a floppy disk named AVO?????BIN with the recovery file. Sofar Dell helpdesk could not send me a copy for the D800, but maybe you can help?
Best reards,
Paul
jovargas17

phbaars wrote:
Dell_CA wrote:Hello,

Mike
Dell customer advocate
Hi,
I disagree with you on this. There is still an active part in the bios, the emergency bootblock. You can start it (if you know how) and read what it is doing on an external screen. So Dell laptops have a recovery mode, all you need is a floppy disk named AVO?????BIN with the recovery file. Sofar Dell helpdesk could not send me a copy for the D800, but maybe you can help?
Best reards,
Paul
Hi phbaars, i have read your post thanks for it, i need some help to acess the bios emergency bootblock because i have flashed the bios directly from the dell webpage and at the moment of the reboot my laptop sounds 3 beeps, first a long beep and the other 2 short beeps, the beep code error table says that code is a video error, and i tried to install an external display but it doesn't display video. Can you help me??? i have a dell inspiron 1501 laptop.
timnan

I had same problem with Dell 1501 and I fixed it. You can see the link below if you want:
http://hi.baidu.com/nanliushi/blog/item ... f5350.html
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...