Dell Inspiron 1525 battery replacement doubts

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
kompatibel
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi all
I have a two year old Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop. For the past couple of months, the battery has begun to seriously deteriorate in performance... If the laptop is switched off with full power, by the time I boot, only 5 minutes is now available before it turns off...

Hence, I am looking at replacing the battery. The following are my doubts
1. The laptop was purchased in the US. Will there be any difficulty getting replacement battery here?
2. Should I contact Dell or will local stores have replacements?
3. Will it be possible to go for 9 cell batteries for improved battery life?
4. Can power surges affect battery life? Is it necessary to connect the power through a surge protector?
5. More often than not I use the laptop when connected to power, but regularly I need to work without power. Hence, I cant remove the battery as recommended by many. Is it better to have the power always on or regularly discharge the batteries?
6. I am thinking of getting a cooling pad to improve battery heat dissipation. I want one that is cheap (less than 1000 preferably) and effective. Please suggest brand and model along with approximate cost.

Thanks in advance
Arun
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

If the battery is misbehaving there's a special test routine inside the bios to "revive" the battery again (undo the "memory" effect that is causing this behaviour).

If this model does not have the test/retrain routine, this is what you do:

recharge it and totaly decharge it, repeat this several times and u will notice longer lifetime out of the battery.Reportedly, the time can go up from a few mins to a few hours again. I've done this with an Inspiron 1200

Doing this is best done in bios, just hit the "pause/break" key when the bios screen appears it will pause the bios and no power saving scheems in windows will cause your pc to sleep or hibernate due to low battery.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...