No display after Bios update

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
tommcat1208
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have a Compaq Presario f768wm notebook, flashed the bios and when I turned it on I had no video and wasn't booting to the os. I assumed that the bios didn't flash like it should have. The original bios was F05 and was updating to F0A. There are 3 updates behind the F0A (F06 F07 F08) that I could have used but went straight to F0A current update. I tried making a autoexec.bat file with awdflash.exe as where I read about how to do this somewhere and put F05.BIN to flash back to the original but I don't know if I got the switches right. This is what I put in the file: awdflash 30eaf05.bin /PY /SN /E /R /CC /CP /CD
I made a boot usb drive, added awdflash899.exe but renamed it without 899, added 30EAF05.wph and renamed it to .bin added switches.
Put the drive in the PC and pressed Win+B and power for 3 sec. which is a nice thing about HP notebooks. It boots to the drive and does nothing. I pluged it into another PC to see what it shows and the dialog box come up with a curser flashing to the bottom right of a dialog box with no error message and sets there. I'm sure I got the right file from HP site.

Can anybody help?

Thanks Tom
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Maybe the right bios file, but the wrong flash utility. That is for Award bioses and what you have is a Phoenix bios, not an Award/Phoenix bios. You need a different flasher for that. We'll have to dig a bit around I fear...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
tommcat1208

Yes. I was looking at a different bios forum and thought that Award and Phoenix were together. I just got a headache. But anyhow I come up with a batch file with Phlash.exe and the bios.wph files but it says that platform.bin is missing. So I looked through HP web site to see if they had a DOS version for flashing but no luck. However I tried their bios recovery uefi on the usb and put the F05.wph file in all the folders on in but nothing happens. The light flashes on the usb for awhile the stays on assuming there is an error message but have to put it on another PC to dee what message it shows. So its reading something. If I could figure out the platform.bin file for it maybe I could flash through the dos usb.
Thanks for replying.

Would appreciate any suggestions!
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Get an USB floppy drive and a working diskette somewhere.

download this:
h30499.www3.hp.com/hpeb/attachments/hpeb/bsc-274/161072/1/354948.zip

follow instructions in this:
h30499.www3.hp.com/hpeb/attachments/hpeb/bsc-274/161079/1/355037.pdf

remember to unpack sp52463.exe and then from that 30eaf0a.exe AS WELL so you get the REAL 30eaf0a.wph file that needs to be renamed to bios.wph
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

tommcat1208

Do I need to include a .bat file?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Did you read the instructions in the second link I gave?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

tommcat1208

Yes I saw but was just not sure anyhow it doesn't seem to be working with any of the phlash.exes. I had seen a post somewhere about andys tools. Where could I get that and how does it work if you know? Seemed a little complicated but I'm willing. Thanks much!
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... EFI-BIOSes

which is something completely different alltogether...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

tommcat1208

Ok I'm about done with this just a few ?'s . It bumbs me out because I just got this PC to replace the mobo in another Compaq f700 for my wife. They have the same model board. The other mobo had issues with the audio and card reader. They weren't working. When I put this one together everything worked great just needed to be updated. So is it possible the video went out while flashing or could it be something with the bios? I do get 1 long and 2 short beeps after another once I get the usb to boot. Isn't that the code for video problems? I've tested the memory its fine. Tried different sticks and sizes. Let it drain all power before starting again. Tried a few other usb boot tools. Everything short of taking a sledge hammer to it. I have flashed many boards without any problems. Anyhow for what its worth thanks for all and any advice!
Tom
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

I think you didn't get a 100% compatible replacement for your board but one with different onboard video which isn't working after flashing the bios that includes the video bios for the onboard stuff. I suggest you closely inspect both boards chip for chip for differences in part numbers on the large chips...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

thoopy31

:D :D :D This one is solved!!! I used the crisdisk method with a usb floppy drive. Seems that was the only way the bios boot would pick up the recovery. Many many thanks to you Edwin!!! Fully operational!!!

BTW I had to change my user id from tommcat1208 cuz I forgot my password.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

tommcat1208/ thoopy31:

Thank you for being persistent and reporting back what worked in the end, you will be saving a lot of other people time and lost hair I think :D

Happy computing!
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything