Factory password for Toshiba Dynabook cx/875ls

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
cpuone
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi Guys, I am a computer guy in London trying to solve a mystery.

Last week a Japanese lady left a laptop with a simple problem:
Every time it was shut-down it would restart.
No matter how you initiated shut-down (button or start menu).
So the first thing I did was use a live cd (slax) to shut-down.
I had the same problem. The computer just restarted.
This ruled out viruses and so i upgraded the bios.

Unbelievably the problem persisted so I took the final step of resetting the CMOS/BIOS by shorting the cmos battery.

Now the problem is solved, the unit will shut down BUT now I have been presented with a password where there was none before!
The computer is locked with a factory bios password.
I have asked the owner but she has never set up the password.
She called tech support in Japan but they say there should be none!!

Any idea where I can find out what it is? or what else to try? I am presented with a password screen as soon as the computer is switched on.

Toshiba Dynabook cx/875ls bios version 1.80
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Even though they say there should be none, they also should be able to help you or direct you to the nearest service center where you can get service provided you produce the original purchase receipt ofcourse.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
cpuone

First of all thank you for your speedy reply,

Well I did not want to reset the CMOS as it involved taking the laptop apart so I did not arrive at this action willingly.

Having said that, I have done this with success several times as some chips simply hang.
In this case I suspected the "restart flag" was always enabled as no operating system or user action helped.

I thought that updating the BIOS automatically meant you lost all your settings and were sent back to defaults. (new Read Only Memory file)

The other point is shorting the CMOS battery simply deprives the BIOS chip of power which is exactly what happens when the battery runs out. The user has to set the date, time boot sequence . . . . and so on each time the computer is switched off. So does this mean an ASP now needs to make the CMOS battery replacement each time?

My hunch about the restart flag seems to have been correct as the unit now powers off with the button.

I spoke to Toshiba who referred me to topazsupport.co.uk who claim I may have corrupted the BIOS by shorting the battery terminals but they are willing to fix it for a ã60 fee.

Now if I interrupted the flash process then that would make sense as I would have failed writing the whole file to the ROM chip.

Logic dictates that the default behaviour is preprogrammed to ask for a password I say this as I have now disconnected the battery (soldering Iron needed) for over 20 minutes . When I reconnected the battery the behaviour changed:

Instead of the password request after the splash screen it gave a black screen with the following writing:

Settings have changed defaults loaded press <f1> to continue or <f2> for setup. As soon I press either of the two, It requires a password.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Yousef-Musharbash

Hello yes i can fix this problem:
A) This is the symptoms you may see if you have this Problems
1) The computer is locked with a factory bios password at the time you power your Computer on.
2) you restarted your Laptop but now it turns on to see a Password that you did not have before.
3) your power go's down at home or at work now you see a Password that you did not have before.
4) you taking your laptop apart and now you see a Password that you did not have before.
5) <f1> to continue or <f2> for setup. As soon I press either of the two, It requires a password.

Do not assume anything
B) Thing's you don't have to do it will not fix the the Password
1) shorting the CMOS battery
2) disconnected the battery
3) your guy next door say its chips hang or a VIRUS its NOT
4) you spoke to Toshiba who referred you to topazsupport.co.uk who claim that you may have corrupted the BIOS by shorting the battery terminals.
5) Even though you call the factory they say there should be none
Thank you

I Can Fix it if you like thank you
http://stores.ebay.com/musharbash