Flashing a modded bios laptop with a new bios question

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
Lenovo500
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi!

I'm new here. This may sound like a stupid question but I don't have any experience in this field. I'd like to know from anyone who is willing to help if my laptop will not get bricked and will still be operational if I update or flash my laptop (with a previously flashed modded bios) with an update bios from the manufacturer. Will the mod be removed?

Thanks.
cdoublej
BIOS Newbie

depends on the laptop. i know for my Acer 5920G there is a recovery procedure.
Lenovo500

Thanks for responding cdoublej.

I'm sorry that I have not clearly stated the facts. My laptop a Lenovo 500 Touch has a modded bios (wifi card whitelist removed). Recently Lenovo publish a new bios. Can I flash this new bios successfully and without bricking my laptop? Will the whitelist be back?
cdoublej
BIOS Newbie

no, you mean the will the new bios see your modded bios and bric kyour device. i'm inclined to think not. if you did really mean that then the answer is best suited for someone who can see in to the future.

unless you have any ideas as to why the new bios flash wouldn't work i don't see why not.

i wouldn't know if the new has the white list.

i assume you NEED the new bios because it is fixing an issue you are having?
Lenovo500

Hi cdoublej:

Yes, there are issues in the modded bios. One issue is the "function keys" which is fixed in the new bios. Another one is the Bluetooth function which disappears and reappears after a soft restart (I'm not sure if this can be fixed by the new bios but hope it does. BTW this symptom appears after flashing the modded bios).

I haven't done any bios update in this laptop except the flashing of the modded bios. That is why as a precaution I am asking the previous questions to avoid getting into trouble.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Get your new manufacturer bios patched with the whitelist patch before flashing it, otherwise your non-vendor-apporved wireless card will stop functioning.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Lenovo500

Hi edwin,

Just flashed the update bios from the manufacturer. Bluetooth and function keys now work fine. I'm not planning to have the new bios modded again but instead will be using a cheaper and easier to implement external dual band wifi adapter to go around the whitelist.

Thanks for the help though.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Thanks for the feedback and you're welcome :-)
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...