IBM bios

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
ZooZ

Hello I have a IBM 770 laptop really can't get to the bios Tried F1 while powering on I get a small powder blue window with a white border and a bird as the mouse cursor. It has several options but no way to res set bios settings???Confused in Florida How do i get to the bios Also it takes the laptop 2.5 minutes to boot up s that about right for win 98 not SE Zooz
pkiff
BIOS Newbie

I'm no wizard with this BIOS stuff, but I'll take a crack at your questions.
Hello I have a IBM 770 laptop really can't get to the bios Tried F1 while powering on I get a small powder blue window with a white border and a bird as the mouse cursor.
I think that IS the BIOS. What you're seeing is Easy Setup: a built-in semi-GUI representation of your current BIOS settings. Many of these settings can also be changed using your ThinkPad Configuration program in Windows 98SE. Normally, there are only a few you might want/need to adjust using the "hold F1 while powering on" technique.
It has several options but no way to res set bios settings???
I think you can reset your BIOS settings to their default by removing the CMOS battery for a while (an hour??) and then reinserting it. The CMOS battery is a watch (coin) battery easily accessible through the bottom of the laptop, through the same door that provides access to the memory modules. If you do this, you'll have to reset the time and date on the laptop.
Confused in Florida How do i get to the bios
If you really want to get to the raw CMOS/BIOS code, then you can press CTRL-D at the Configuration screen of the Easy Setup utility. That gives you access to a hex editor that allows you to edit the raw CMOS hex code, but I don't know much about that stuff, and normally it is not necessary for any reason.
Also it takes the laptop 2.5 minutes to boot up s that about right for win 98 not SE
Can be lots of reasons for that. There's nothing necessarily abnormal about a 2.5 minute boot up time on a TP 770 running 98SE. I've had longer than that on faster ThinkPads running 98SE. But if you want to reduce your bootup time, you might try a complete reinstall (with Windoze 98SE Lite if possible) and then keep your Windows registry as lean as possible and remove everything that isn't absolutely necessary from your StartUp folder. Also, try using the "Selective Startup" sequence available if you type "msconfig" at the Start -> Run menu, and deselect anything that you don't think is necessary.

HTH,

Phil.
johnhouk
New visitors - please read the rules.

pkiff wrote:Many of these settings can also be changed using your ThinkPad Configuration program in Windows 98SE.
Where can I find this?
pkiff
BIOS Newbie

The ThinkPad Configuration Utility is available from the "Device driver file matrix" for your ThinkPad on the IBM web site, along with a range of other essential downloads that you should look into if you have not already installed them:
Software and Device Drivers - ThinkPad 770

The specific file you want is available here:
Configuration utility for Windows 98, Me, 2000, XP - ThinkPad General

More information about your ThinkPad is available here:
Product information - ThinkPad 770

That should keep you busy for a while.

Phil.