IBM Thinkpad 390e - 333mhz->650mhz possible? How?

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
Bill S
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hey all,

I found an old thread here regarding dolling up an IBM Thinkpad 390e. I just happened to come in to one, and out of pure boredom I fixed it up (had a split case), replaced both the battery pack and the system battery, I swapped the modem out for a mini-PCI wireless card and salvaged a DVD-ROM/CDRW from the same machine that donated the wireless nic.

Now, I want to try and upgrade the CPU if possible and I was hoping I could get some direction here. I've purchased a 650mhz PIII MMC-2 type processor card that will physically fit, but I'm guessing I can't just install it and it "just work", that at the very least some kind of mods must be done. I'm not afraid of having to mod the motherboard so if that's what's called for, so be it (I mean if it croaks all I've lost is time). Also I'm guessing a BIOS update will be called for too?

Finally once all is said and done will this increase the maximum amount of RAM available? I'd like to be able to use 512mb (1gb wouldn't suck either!)

Thanks in advance everyone.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

there is in fact more than one thread on this laptop. Start here for some ideas:
http://www.wimsbios.com/forum/topic7639-30.html
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Bill S
New visitors - please read the rules.

edwin wrote:there is in fact more than one thread on this laptop. Start here for some ideas:
http://www.wimsbios.com/forum/topic7639-30.html
I'm so embarrassed about that; I see that my reply into the very end of that thread DID get posted...I didn't see it immediately and had assumed I'd clicked Save Draft or Preview and then navigated away...sorry for the dup posts.

Hope I can get this guy working at 650!