IBM ThinkPad 600 BIOS update without working battery

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
tomasvilda

Hello,

I have a problem, I try to upgrade BIOS on IBM TP 600, but during upgrade it checks if battery is charged and because my battery is not working anymore I can't do an upgrade, how could I bypass this, because I have no possibility to put there working battery.
tomasvilda

I have found a working solution WOW on the other forum:

*** This is NOT a safe way to update the bios (disclaimer) ***

* First you need to make a BIOS update floppy disk (from the bios file from IBM - place disk in a: drive, run app and answer Y to the agreement) and then format another disk by right clicking on A: - format - make system bootdisk (assuming you have another machine spare)

* Copy all the files from the IBM Boot disk - in my case
$0029000.fl1
$0029000.fl2
FLASH2.EXE
PROD.DAT
UPDTFLSH.EXE
updtrom.exe
USERINT.EXE
UTILINFO.EXE
to the other clean bootdisk.

* Ensure that there is no config.sys and autoexec.bat so it just runs straight into DOS.

* Place the disk into the Laptop, reboot and allow the machine to load via the floppy

* At the command prompt, type "FLASH2.EXE /U" with no quotes then press enter.

The program will automatically search for the files *.FL1 & *.FL2 and load the bios first then the platform file.

The program will automatically update and perform erasing on the rom and then finish with "Update complete".

* Now reboot.

* Hold F1 down as you turn the laptop back on and go into Easy Setup under "Config" click on Initialize to ensure defaults and settings are error free.

* Save and exit...
GetReal
New visitors - please read the rules.

Great to find exact instructions for 600. No problem updating BIOS, although I did feel a butterfly or two in my stomach will update was running.

If I wouldn't found instructions for this, the thinkpad would have ended up in the trashbin.

Thanks!
canonis

I have an IBM Thinkpad 600x and I was trying to update to firmware ITET55WW to support Windows XP. All this, just so I can wake from hibernate at scheduled times so that I don't have to press 1 single little button :lol:

I followed the instructions above, copying these files onto an MS-DOS startup disk:
$0045000.fl1
$0045000.fl2
FLASH2.EXE
IBMBIOS.COM
IBMDOS.COM
PROD.DAT
UPDTFLSH.EXE
updtrom.exe
USERINT.EXE
UTILINFO.EXE

Here's the error I got:

A:\>FLASH2.EXE /U
***** Starting Flash Update Utility *****
Please wait...
The FOL function is not enabled.
***** The progress ended. *****
A:\>

Any ideas what I can try next?

I don't want to have to turn the digital picture frame on myself.
canonis

Figured it out!

This was the error message I was getting: "The FOL function is not enabled."

If you hold F1 when the laptop is booting up and enter the BIOS menu, under Config -> Network, Enable the Flash option.

Then repeat the steps to update your BIOs.

Thanks for the help!
asante

hi i've tried to upgrade using bootable ms dos 3.3 but i get error massage that say the flash2.exe cannot run as a stand alone program
please help. 8O
Triangle

I tried this by using a dos boot floppy emulation burned on a cd and flashed the bios with no problems.
I just had to reinitialize at first reboot.
The lastest bios upgrade allows WinXP installation on the 600e.
dakos

Can you please tell us in more detail how you updated the bios using only the CD, I don't have a floppy and I'm sure many don't as well.

ThanX
EvoQ

Yup, here's another who would like to know more about bios update using the cd-rom. I downloaded bootable cd-image from bootdisk.com and followed the instructions but still no luck.
I get the same error asante: "The LCCM flash over lan program version 2.00. This program must be used with the LCCM host system in al LAN enviroment. You cannot use the program in a stand-alone enviroment.

Can you Triangle, or somebody who has succesfully updated BIOS via CD give me some tips or even a comlete guide to the idiot :lol:
Geo411m

i was able able to use this guide to flash my ibm 560z bios without a floppy or cd rom. i just made my c drive bootable and then copied all bios file to it then in dos prompt i follow guide. it worked excellent.
spaceman_spiff

Does anyone have a method for updating a Thinkpad 760EL with a dead battery?

The files on the floppy are:
UTILINFO.EXE
USERINT.EXE
UPDTFLSH.EXE
$001d000.FL1
$001E000.FL1
FLSHBIOS.SYS
CONFIG.SYS
COMMAND.COM

Copied to a bootable diskette, but running updtflsh.exe just tells me to reboot over and over. Any ideas?

It seems IBM has gone to great trouble to make this as difficult as possible. I sent a request to tech support, they basically said it was for my own good. I replied that the unit was out of warranty anyway, was arttached to a UPS and I promised not to complain if I bricked the laptop. No response after several of these.

I am not paying $90 for a new battery for something worth $25...

I will never buy IBM again!
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Spaceman,

Maybe you could cheat the old thinkpad to think it has a battery. So if you can borrow a laboratory dc-power source and feed dc-power to the battery pins.

I don't know the voltage nor the pins, but propably you can find it out by googling
spaceman_spiff

Well since I don't work at Radio Shack that probably won't happen. IBM ignores my support requests unless I pay, and again, its not worth it for this machine.

Thanks anyway.
Fudeba

Hello People,

I tried to upgrade bios from my thinkpad 600 with instructions above, but no have success. But after various retry, I have success.

Describe below, steps I used to upgrade my thinkpad 600:

I tried upgrade without battery and no FDD.

Steps:

Clear your HDD, or use other, but clear.

Format and install MS-DOS 7. MS-DOS 7 can be found in boot disk from Windows 98 or Windows Milleniun. I have used Windows Millenium.

Use a CLEAN boot disk, no autoexec.bat, no config.sys, no cdromdriver, etc.

Create a bootable CD, from floppy, to this use, UltraISO, Nero, etc...

I suggest use RW media, it's more practical. :)

To install, format with this command, without commas: "format c: /u /s" to standard format or use "format c: /q /s" to faster format.

Create dir on harddisk, ex: "Bios"

Copy to this directory, the following files:

$0029000.fl1
$0029000.fl2
FLASH2.EXE
PROD.DAT
UPDTFLSH.EXE
updtrom.exe
USERINT.EXE
UTILINFO.EXE

These files can be found on upgrade bios archive, and can be downloaded, from IBM site. Create a diskette, and copy this files to CD-ROM, put in CD-ROM drive on Thinkpad, and copy to directory.

Now, go to "c:\bios" directory, and type "dir".

Look if files $0029000.fl1 and $0029000.fl2, appears as "_0029000.fl1" and "_0029000.fl2".

I don't know, because MS-DOS7 change the "$" character to "_".

Type following command:

rename _0029000.fl1 $0029000.fl1

and

rename _0029000.fl2 $0029000.fl2

Type "dir" again and check the correct file names.

Now, reboot and boot from harddisk, from MS-DOS7. Go to directory "Bios" and type:

flash2 /u

And waiting to finish upgrade.

DO NOT DISCONNECT POWER until upgrade finish.

After finish, power off thinkpad, and power on again. Hold F1 down and go into Easy Setup under "Config" click on Initialize to ensure defaults and settings are no error.

Now, your thinkpad as upgraded! Reinstall your operating system or replace harddisk, if you have changed to other to upgrade.

This working 100% on my ThinkPad 600 (model 2645-21U) without battery and floppy disk.

But, I remind, do for its on your own and risk, I don't take the responsibility if you damage you thinkpad.

Good Luck! :D

[]s by Fudeba, from Brazil.

p.s. sorry for my bad english (or "engrish"???) hehehe.
wareynolds

These are all harder than they need. You will need a computer with a floppy drive and one with a cd burner.

1. Download bios update from IBM.
2. Run the exe and create the bios update disk.
3. copy following files from update disk to hard drive.
$0045000.fl1
$0045000.fl2
FLASH2.EXE
PROD.DAT
UPDTFLSH.EXE
updtrom.exe
USERINT.EXE
UTILINFO.EXE
4. Create a new boot disk (if you need one get an image from online)
5. Copy the above files to the boot disk.
5a. If you have a floppy for the 600 skip to step 7
6. Use CD burning software to create a new cd boot disk
I have EasyCD creator. Select file, new project, bootable CD
7. Boot up and type the following:
FLASH.EXE /U
8. Wait till you get an update complete and back at the a: prompt... reboot.
9. You can go into flash and goto config - initialize.
10. Enjoy updated bios.