IBM Thinkpad 600E bios mod for processor update

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Bad news: I didn't manage to solder 28F004 piggypacking the original bios 28F004. The pins in 28F004 (manufactured by MT) from 600X were so short that they did not properly reach the pins of 28F004 (manufactured by Intel) from 600E. So I was not getting contact and had to use tin which started to jump and I run into disaster and had to abort.
I had to remove 28F004 eventually and it lost two more pins (#19 and #24) and I had to cut the epoxy more to dig the copper lead visible for soldering.

Looks like I cannot solder 28F004 piggypacking 28F004 with my equipment and skills.

What's next? Alternatives

(A) Solder the 28F004 using short wires to BX Southbridge, where all the BIOS signals are also available. The pin grid is less dense in BX Southbridge.

(B) Get a traditional DIP package 29C040 and solder it with a socket to BX Southbridge. In this case I need to do flashing with a separate flasher, but it would not be a big problem since i have C't flasher. Unfortunately I only have only 29C020 free now.
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Sebi,

Can you find the checksum calculation part of the bios code?

Whatabout if we just make a patch to jump over the checsum test?
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

OK, I am thinking more and more turning to 29C040 - based direction and using a separate flasher. This is enough to validate any 600E bios mod and more practical from soldering point of view.

I wonder if ISA bus can be used for bios chip addressing right from hardware reset (i.e. is BX Southport ISA bus transparent after HW reset or does ir need to be first initialised in bios) ?

Is ISA bus available anywhere in 600E connectors (floppy connector or some of the internal connectors (modem, test connectors?).

In principle, I only need /bioscs from BX Southbridge on top of ISA signals.

I have started to seek for a 29C040. Anyone have extra?
Dr. Morg
BIOS Rookie

Hello All!

I'm just bought floppy drive for my TP600E, but there is a problem to use it.
FDD controller not start or maybe not work.

I'm try to connect FDD as external bey, also as internal - it not take effect.

In the IBM self test FDD icon disabled both ways (using internal or external bey).

In Windows XP Pro SP2 Standart FDD Controller not start and shows Error 10: Can't to start device.

In ThinkPad Manager I'm not found anything about FDD...

Can anybldy say what's wrong?

FDD is in working condition and passed all tests on another IBM TP600E.

May I enable FDD controller through CMOS?

Beforehand I thank!
IBM ThinkPad 600E (2645-4AU) PIII 600 @ 598.2MHz /13.3"/CD-ROM/160Mb/40Gb/56k
@ [FSB_mod] => (Current ~99.7MHz)
@ [SS_mod] => Enable Intel SpeedStep technology
@ [DS_mod] => Start SpeedStep
@ [Volt_mod] => Takes 0.20 volts off Vcore (Current 1.35V)
Dr. Morg
BIOS Rookie

Sebi wrote:Sharedoc,
the 2nd 28f004 comes from an almost dead 600e board, so it should be fine. Maybe the chip has been damaged upon desoldering or soldering to the board. I´ll try to get another chip and try again. What about your backup eeprom ? Did it work? Anybody else? Would be great to have a testing board....
I am ready to experiment on my TP600E MotherBoard when next week I'll receive new MotherBoard for my TP.

Also, I have utility "!BIOS v3.2" which makes copy of EEPROM and then can restore it from a file.
Maybe it will help you?
The copy of mine EEPROM you can download here.
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Usually 600E floppy is robust as train's toilet. So I suggest do nothing until your new motherboard arrives. I you still after that keep having this floppy problem, let us know.
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Looks like the docking station connector contains ISA bus signals. Not completely sure yet. Have to measure if there is a direct copper connection between bios chip pins and docking station connector pins.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070630003 ... igment.jpg
https://web.archive.org/web/20070630003 ... ment_2.jpg
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Looks like 29C040 is difficult to find. 29C020 is plenty available from broken motherboards.

Maybe I could use two 29C020's? Have to think...
Dr. Morg
BIOS Rookie

Sharedoc wrote:Usually 600E floppy is robust as train's toilet. So I suggest do nothing until your new motherboard arrives. I you still after that keep having this floppy problem, let us know.
Ok. I'll inform you after installing new MB and connecting FDD.

---
So, what about experimental MB?
I'll have one for it soon! 8)
Sebi
BIOS Newbie

Sharedoc:

don´t have too much experience with eeproms to help you out with this. Addressing might be an issue if you cascade two 29F020´s. The dock connector sounds good; but I don´t know if it´s still active upon starting the bios, maybe the extension port needs some activation. So southbridge seems a better solution. I found a 28F800 and will try this one instead of the piggypack version. Did you already find the eeprom signals on the southbridge or mmc connector? Don´t want to solder 40 wires on the tiny eeprom pins...

Will have a look for the checksum code these days. But what would you expect from it? As the code sums up all the bios code, it doesn´t tell you where the checksum is being saved ´cause the checksum doesn´t need to be validated.

Dr. Morg:

The file you posted is only an excerpt from the bios code. The bios is 512kb in size, not just 64kb. How did the tool create the file? There are parts of the bios code in the file, but not in the same order as they appear in the bios file.
Dr. Morg
BIOS Rookie

Sebi wrote:Dr. Morg:

The file you posted is only an excerpt from the bios code. The bios is 512kb in size, not just 64kb. How did the tool create the file? There are parts of the bios code in the file, but not in the same order as they appear in the bios file.
Sorry, but I don't know how this utility works...
I'll try to understand how it works and post it here.
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Sebi,

About the BIOS checksum code: My idea was to bypass the whole checksum test in the experimental bios, so that we can do any modifications without having to worry about the bios code hanging to the checksum error.

About using two EEPROMs, I realised also that I may have to invert the highest address line for the 2nd EEPROM.

I was also thinking a radical idea of piggypacking two 600E motherboards via the dock connector. It could work if there is a direct copper connection via ISA bus pins to EEPROM pins. Have to think about the slave motherboard EEPROM power supply though.

During the weekend I plan to measure the ISA bus signals how they go from BX southport to bios EEPROPM and dock connector.
Dr. Morg
BIOS Rookie

Sebi wrote:Dr. Morg:

I've just upload !BIOS utility, also, BIOSDETCT utility and ROM dump.

You can download it http : / / www . metacom.ru / ~alexmorg/BIOS/
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Bad news: There is no direct copper connection between dock connector and bios-EEPROM signals. All dock connector signals seem to be buffered by two ASICs. => Cannot use dock connector for 2nd bios chip.

Good news: I found almost all of the 28F004 bios-EEPROM signals from the BX Southport underside pin grid. Missing were only A17, A4, A1, /WE, RP, VPP.

From these 6 signals, luckily only /WE has to be soldered to the EEPROM pin, the rest 5 signals can be soldered to copper-filled PCB-passthroughs.

If 29C040 is used, then from missing signals only A17, A4, A1 are needed and they can all be found in passthroughs.

So looks like the EEPROM soldering job can be done with a reasonable effort.

Next job is to go hacksaw a bios-EEPROM socket from an old motherboard and start soldering wires...
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

I got a new idea how to get a 28F004 wired in parallel to the original 600E bios-EEPROM: hacksaw a ~50*100mm part containing bios-EEPROM and BX Southport out of a broken 600/600E/600X-motherboard, and wiring it parallel to the 600E motherboard.

Now I regret that I destroyed my existing 600X motherboard by removing the 28F004 by force. Stupid me!

Have to look eBay for a broken 600/600E/600X motherboard.