IBM Thinkpad 600E bios mod for processor update

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

DOS SpeedStep utility does work in Windows98, when I open a MS-DOS command prompt window and run the utility there.
wmarcusm
BIOS Newbie

Sharedoc wrote:DOS SpeedStep utility does work in Windows98, when I open a MS-DOS command prompt window and run the utility there.
Really. I find that surprising. I thought win98 (std) created a virtual DOS box when running legacy x86 DOS apps (this is what OS2/Warp does). Apparently each ms-dos window is given the real mode segment under win98 instead of a virtual address space. That would explain why it is so easy to crash the entire OS :-)

Can you run the DeepSleep DOS utility as part of the win98 login/startup process (after the boot sequence)? Perhaps you can put it in a Startup Folder.
wmarcusm
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Tried to solder 29F040 32-pin DIL EEPROM socket with thin wire wrap wires to BX Southbridge, but it turned out not to work. The wires did not stick to small soldering pads of the BX Southbridge underside grid. Wires broke loose from the slightest of movement.

Also I noticed that 600E BX Southport underside is differently wired than in 600X. For example address line A18 was not available BX Southport underside in 600E.

Back to square one with EEPROM. Damn.

Need to find a dead 600/600E/600X board with an Intel 28F004 bios-EEPROM. Intel chip has longer pins, so it can be soldered piggybacking the original EEPROM as Sebi suggested.
Last edited by Sharedoc on Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

DOS DeepSleep utility does not work as expected from Windows98 Startup folder.

I can see it execute but it does not have effect in changing processor speed.

Looks like the utility works fine when the processor is idling. But if there is heavy load, it does not work.
wmarcusm
BIOS Newbie

Sharedoc wrote:DOS DeepSleep utility does not work as expected from Windows98 Startup folder.

I can see it execute but it does not have effect in changing processor speed.

Looks like the utility works fine when the processor is idling. But if there is heavy load, it does not work.
I uploaded versions (1.1) of DeepSleep that protects the block of instructions that twiddles the southbridge bits with cli/sti (disable/enable) interrupts. I'm rather skeptical that this is the problem however. If it were related to this I would expect success in some small number of cases.

I've got an old 2.5" 6GB hard drive, I'll need to install win98 on that to debug this problem since booting the TP600e with a win98 boot disk cannot reproduce the problem (boots at high speed every time).
wmarcusm
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Version 1.1 appears to behave exactly the same way as 1.0.

Works from desktop but does not work from autoexec.bat nor from Windows startup folder.

How is it with XP version? Does it work always?

I wonder if the reason for not working always is that the processor is in a state (which?) where there is not possible to trigger transition to DeepSleep?
wmarcusm
BIOS Newbie

Sharedoc wrote:Version 1.1 appears to behave exactly the same way as 1.0.

Works from desktop but does not work from autoexec.bat nor from Windows startup folder.

I wonder if the reason for not working always is that the processor is in a state (which?) where there is not possible to trigger transition to DeepSleep?
Sharedoc,

The XP version always seems to work, regardless of the startup process (either startup folder, or launch from a desktop icon).

I installed Win98 on a small fat32 partition on a spare drive, and reproduce the same (negative) result. I should be able to solve the problem now. Looks like on of two possibilities, either the processor never goes into deepsleep when run from a startup folder (win98), or it does go into deepsleep, but is transitioned between real mode (8086) and protected mode (i386) immediately after the deepsleep utility is run.
wmarcusm
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

8O downloaded the files (am the 43rd visitor)i beleive theres fat 16 and fat 32 w9x,i do run winme +xp BOTH FAT 32,i am gonna try the on a tp 390x +a hp 4150 to see if it can work on other mmc2 powered speedstep modded cpu notebook.
* sharedoc , i have 2 tp 600e mobos with password error
+1x tp600e mobo with assumed pin/volt regulator issue but otherwise good bios prior to hand. i can cut out a section an send to you ,question is will only the bios number you specified only do the job?
*excellent work wmarcusm,your effort is immensely appreciated indeed
:wink:
wmarcusm
BIOS Newbie

Sharedoc,

Some progress. Looks like a win98 startup task is resetting the cpu or doing a cpu mode transition. If the DeepSleep utility is executed last in the startup chain, it seems to work on every boot. I believe the same win98 startup code is the reason both the autoexec and start folder launch results in the low speed multiplier setting.

I've uploaded a win9x version to

http://home.pacbell.net/wmarcusm/deepsleep/

The win9x install script runs the utility from the registry at boot (after all the other tasks).
wmarcusm
wmarcusm
BIOS Newbie

wmarcusm wrote:

Sharedoc,

Some progress. Looks like a win98 startup task is resetting the cpu or doing a cpu mode transition. If the DeepSleep utility is executed last in the startup chain, it seems to work on every boot. I believe the same win98 startup code is the reason both the autoexec and start folder launch results in the low speed multiplier setting.

I've uploaded a win9x version to

http://home.pacbell.net/wmarcusm/deepsleep/

The win9x install script runs the utility from the registry at boot (after all the other tasks).
Negative on the win98 boot at full speed. I'm still seeing cases that are failing.
wmarcusm
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Beatoem,

TP600 bios chip might be useful for me if it is Intel 28F004. I'll pm you with details.
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Wmarcusm,

This is just to confirm that the register based Win9X version 1.1 does not work in my TP600E either.

Anyway, the dos version is basically good enough, so do not spend too much effort in legacy os support.
wmarcusm
BIOS Newbie

Sharedoc wrote:Wmarcusm,

This is just to confirm that the register based Win9X version 1.1 does not work in my TP600E either.

Anyway, the dos version is basically good enough, so do not spend too much effort in legacy os support.
Ok, I found a bug in the code. I uploaded the new version (1.2) to the website. The dos version works in Win98 from autoexec.bat or you can use the win9x version from the startup folder or registry.
wmarcusm
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Confirmation: DeepSleep DOS version 1.2 works now perfect also from autoexec.bat

Kippis - Cheers - Prosit!
Dr. Morg
BIOS Rookie

Sharedoc wrote: Need to find a dead 600/600E/600X board with an Intel 28F004 bios-EEPROM. Intel chip has longer pins, so it can be soldered piggybacking the original EEPROM as Sebi suggested.
I have received a new mother board for my TP600E last week!
Now, I have 2645-4AU Mother Board in my TP.

Also, I have an old mother board 2645-8AU. It works, but not fully functional.
If it's can be usefull for you, I can play with it.
Wait for your instructions. 8)
IBM ThinkPad 600E (2645-4AU) PIII 600 @ 598.2MHz /13.3"/CD-ROM/160Mb/40Gb/56k
@ [FSB_mod] => (Current ~99.7MHz)
@ [SS_mod] => Enable Intel SpeedStep technology
@ [DS_mod] => Start SpeedStep
@ [Volt_mod] => Takes 0.20 volts off Vcore (Current 1.35V)