IBM Thinkpad 600E bios mod for processor update

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Not familiar with 770Z.

Whatbout using external dvd? Either using IBM:s own floppystation box that should host also DVD? Or if there are USB dvd units?
frederickmd36
New visitors - please read the rules.

Can someone explain to me how to fix this error?[/b]
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

127 error is a cache error. You can fix it by editing the CMOS data. How to do it is explained in the first pages of this thread.
prizal_a

i've upgrade my 600e pii-366 to piii
and cdrom to dvd/cdrw...
by put the cd rom off from the bracket and put my combo drive on it...
without any soldering at all...
just plug the socket behind the cd to the combo drive...

and the combo run without problem...
but, i don't know if it different with 770..

(sorry for my bad english)
thanx
vertigo12369

Okay, so I have my new processor in (650MHz PIII), but I am having difficulty activating the L2 cache. Whenever I try to run the program, I get a blue screen of death. The progam that I am running was posted by Holgi on page 10 or so. Am I using the correct program? What is the correct way to use it?

Thanks!
brokencase
BIOS Newbie

Too many people asking the same old questions. A 600e PIII upgrade FAQ (and a place to host it) is required.
wmarcusm
BIOS Newbie

I've updated the deepsleep utility page

http://home.pacbell.net/wmarcusm/deepsleep/

with version 1.4 and added a version for the Linux 2.6 kernel. This version fixes a bug in the previous versions that prevented the utility from working with most non Thinkpad laptops. I've tested it against my TP600e and Dell Inspiron 7000. It should work on any laptop that has a PIIX4 southbridge, P2->P3 processor upgrade with the Intel P3 MMC2 processor speedstep H/W modification described by sharedoc in this forum. Let me know about any success or failures on other laptop models. If it fails, run dsleep /d from DOS and send me the debug output.

wmarcusm@pacbell.net
wmarcusm
tomasvilda

Is it possible to upgrade ThinkPad 600 (2645-41U) to PIII?
zandirgator
BIOS Newbie

no you need to get a 600E or 600X bottom half and Inverter on Ebay if you want to use a PIII.
zandirgator
BIOS Newbie

Anyone how is having heat related stability (from the overclocking mod) issues should start using CPU eat n' cool. Its a great little program and also extends battery life quite signifigantly.

I gained about an extra half hour of usage from setting the timeout to 30ms and the processor runs cool as a cucumber.
mc00

hello, everyone.....

I read up to 23 and skip to 36+....

I want to known someone might have solution to my overclocking of my armada 1750, it has i440bx, and internal ram is PC100 and I added bar of 128 PC 100 and I bought P3 600mhz, and running at 500mhz because I already know my laptop doesn't support speedstep... so I try to use powerleap cache configuration tool to enable L2 cache , and as soon I click on the to startup when everytime windows is start I get sluggish windows,currently using windows 2000.. so I reboot might fix it and doesn't it so I disable powerleap and than reboot, no more sluggish but the L2 cache is disable, I check with CPU ID ...
I honestly find my laptop to be slow for some reason.. I build quick pentium 3 with 500 and 256 l2 cache and same amount memory(192mb) with spare part I have around my apartment, and I install the same os ran pretty fast on the system I build.

thank you for your time :)
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

mc00,

Not familiar with how Armada sets up PIII on boot.

Can you post pictures what CPUID and Powerleap tell about cache and clock speed when it is slow.
tom_k

Hello

1st xcuse my english !

Had been here some months ago
+ saw this thread mentioned in tp-portal as
"the magic link" ! Never did the job, notime ,
no600e (would´ve been no prob to get one:) ) ,
neither managed to read the whole thread in 1,
but THIS gave me info, links, inspiration +
encouraged me to to things beside the hmm
with meanwhile over 50 TP´s

thnx a lot@sharedoc,bno,alltheothers...+wim

regards tom_k

wmarcusm wrote:I've updated the deepsleep utility page

http://home.pacbell.net/wmarcusm/deepsleep/

with version 1.4 and added a version for the Linux 2.6 kernel. This version fixes a bug in the previous versions that prevented the utility from working with most non Thinkpad laptops. I've tested it against my TP600e and Dell Inspiron 7000. It should work on any laptop that has a PIIX4 southbridge, P2->P3 processor upgrade with the Intel P3 MMC2 processor speedstep H/W modification described by sharedoc in this forum. Let me know about any success or failures on other laptop models. If it fails, run dsleep /d from DOS and send me the debug output.

wmarcusm@pacbell.net
I have created a slightly different Linux kernel module for TP600E. I (shamelessly) copied your (WMM) deepsleep code and put it together with someone else's L2 cache control code. The L2 cache related code seems a lot simpler but working fine on TP600E and other P-III's that I have access to.

Up on loading, the module creates two files under /proc. You can enable or disable l2cache by writing 1 or 0 to /proc/tp600e_l2cache. The faster CPU speed can be obtained by writing 1 to /proc/tp600e_fast_cpu. I wish we could lower the CPU speed as well, but I guess it is impossible unless the machine is suspended or hibernated and brought back.

There might be some issues regarding CPU speed change. If CPU runs faster, the time stamp register (TSC) is updated faster. Linux calibates and uses the tsc for accurate time reference. This might cause a timer firing ealier than expected and so on.

Here is the source:

http://www-rtsl.cs.uiuc.edu/~klee7/tp600e_mod.tar.gz
pincellone

I realised that there is an inconsistency between what Sharedoc suggests for the TP 600E upgrade and the picture I’ve found in this thread. I wonder if I soldered the 2k2 resistor to the wrong end. In Sharedoc’s drawing it seems to be C13, but according to the picture (photo) I’ve found in the forum, the resistor seems supposed to be soldered to C14. I used C13 which is located on the right side of C14

My Thinkpad 600E is a 2645 A5U, I also cut the folio at the back of the processor board, but not even Deepsleep works. The new processor is a Pentium 3 Coppermine 500 mhz Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 and it only runs at 330 Mhz /bus@ 66 Mhz instead of 100 Mhz. It is 100% SpeedStep capable

I would really appreciate if somebody could let me know where the end of the resistor should be actually soldered and also give me some advice on what else could be wrong.

BTW I can’t perform the 8% increase upgrade as my motherboard looks slightly different than the one depicted in the forum. Also, I eliminated the 127 error by adding 0A to position 20 of the editor, but I did not find 02 as expected, it was actually 00. I did not find a way to disable the onboard 32 mb memory, putting 81 instead of 80 is not working for me. :roll:
Last edited by pincellone on Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.