IBM Thinkpad 600E bios mod for processor update

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
Katch
BIOS Rookie

I've just finished crowbarring a PIII 600MHz coppermine into my 600E, thanks to sharedocs amazing research and findings I have it all up and running with no problems.

Just one question, with the powerleap CP it only seems to enable 128K of the 256K cache. Is everyone else getting this result or just me.

I don't really like using this ad hoc work around, has anyone looked into the possibility of writing a custom little app that is lighter on resources?
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Sarkeizen,

I have dismantled the heat transfer plate off the 700MHz MMC2-PIII-processor core several times and thought about removing the processor from the PCB. But it is soldered to the PCB. I guess with a hot owen the processor can be lifted from the PCB and a new one fitted. But fitting requires some kind of precision device for correct "landing". I haven't done any research if desktop PIII's have exactly the same footprint.
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Katch,

L2 cache being 128k is weird. My 700MHz-PIII-MMC2 shows 256k. Have you checked what WCPUID-program shows?

There is also possiblity that the processor is faulty, though it is not very large propability.
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

I can tell that it is tricky to write a program that sets L2 orderly when everything is running.

I once wrote a small assembly language DOS programme inserted in Autoexec.bat to enable on-chip L2 cache for a AMD K6-III-processor and it took a couple weeks time to study and experimenting. It was discussed in the old Wim's bios message board how to do it. If anyone needs it I could try find the code.
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Here is the code to set AMD K6-III L2 Cache on

Meant to be exeted as a DOS program K63L2ON started from Autoexec.bat

0f20c0 mov eax,cr0
25feff and ax,fffe
0f22c0 mov cr0,eax
0f09 wbinvd
66b9800000c0 mov ecx,c0000080
0f32 rdmsr
25efff and ax,ffef
0f30 wrmsr
0f08 invd
0f20c0 mov eax,cr0
0d0100 or ax,0001
0f22c0 mov cr0,eax
b8004c mov ax, 4c00
cd21 int 21
Last edited by Sharedoc on Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katch
BIOS Rookie

Sharedoc wrote:Katch,

L2 cache being 128k is weird. My 700MHz-PIII-MMC2 shows 256k. Have you checked what WCPUID-program shows?

There is also possiblity that the processor is faulty, though it is not very large propability.
Yeah checked it with CPUz, and other apps.

Before changing out my original CPU I tried out the CMOS hex edit and powerleap re-enable and got the same result. I've also since done a clean install of XP after the upgrade, still 128K

Def Coppermine core...

*shrug*

any ideas?
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

Katch wrote:

Before changing out my original CPU I tried out the CMOS hex edit and powerleap re-enable and got the same result. I've also since done a clean install of XP after the upgrade, still 128K

Def Coppermine core...

*shrug*

any ideas?
what is the prosessor number>if its like pml60001xxx its indeed a celeron
if its pml60002xxx its the pentium,conversely i remember on my tp600e
i had it running a p111@256l2 with p3 then tried a p2400 (with the still modified hex edit settings)it registred only 128l2with pll software,so i put back the biosto factory hex settings+sure enough the p2loadded with 256l2 again,but that was with the p11 cpu,try uninstalling the pll software first ,then set regedit l2 parameters to 100 value (256k)for the cache ,then reload pll again,reboot on ea change.
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

Sharedoc wrote:http://www.cpu-collection.de/?l0=i&i=1680&s=big&tb=1&n=

Vcore can be measured over C33
8O 1.64 volts thanks,i purchased a few mmc2 cpu one ran very hot
+somehow now the mobo wont post,as it stands i got 2x woking mobo
but with security passwords set +i got one mobo with a good eeprom,
question is do you know which eeprom i need to swap over so i can
salvage a mobo out of the 3?,the p3 750 just arrived,however r13 seems to be in a different area than the 650s+ slightly y60 from the diagram
this one seems to have more resistors(sorta like a backup)system for speedstepdo you think its safe for me to procced with speedstep disable?
it posts @600 right now,odd thing is where c12 is on the 650 cpu you descibed the same location for this one is c13,
Katch
BIOS Rookie

beatoem wrote:
Katch wrote:

Def Coppermine core...

*shrug*

any ideas?
what is the prosessor number>if its like pml60001xxx its indeed a celeron
if its pml60002xxx its the pentium,conversely i remember on my tp600e
i had it running a p111@256l2 with p3 then tried a p2400 (with the still modified hex edit settings)it registred only 128l2with pll software,so i put back the biosto factory hex settings+sure enough the p2loadded with 256l2 again,but that was with the p11 cpu,try uninstalling the pll software first ,then set regedit l2 parameters to 100 value (256k)for the cache ,then reload pll again,reboot on ea change.
As I said its a coppermine core so it should have 256. Using regedit to set cache size is redundant in XP. Haven't had time to fiddle recently.
Borg Number One
Master Flasher

generally:

Latest IBM BIOS-updates (of notebooks/PCs/Mainboards/Servers) use special compression/packing method.

Furthermore the IBM BIOS-updates are stored in
"Self extracting-file/image-to-disk-executables".

In most cases these are SFX-CAB-Archives ->Can be unpacked with WinRar/WinAce

or "WinImage"-SFX-executebles. ->WinImage opens them.

So it is no problem to unpack the disk images and load them into WinImage.(or similar)

After this In WinImage you can see a "$*.fl1"-file which is the BIOS-update.
(Compressed/packed in a special method)

Phoenix WinPhlash (Phoenix BIOS flash utility for Windows) is able to use/read the special "IBM-compressed" BIOS-files without problems.

Well, we need WinPhlash's Backup-feature to get a decent Phoenix-BIOS-image from your current system.
This backup image is uncompressed and can be edit (by me).

1.)
Download and install: Phoenix WinPhlash (www.google.com ; or ask me to get a really new release)

2.)
Flash your BIOS with the latest BIOS-update in/with WinPhlash.
(take/use the mentioned method above: winimage)

3.)
Do not reboot and after flashing the BIOS take a backup again(select/choose: "backup BIOS only" in WinPhlash) and send it to me.

For this backup, choose a certain/another path.

Important:
To use Phoenix Winphlash's Backup-feature you have to enter/choose/select a working BIOS-file in the "Specify new BIOS file"-field.
After this, choose advanced settings.

If there are no problems, then the BIOS-file will be accepted by Winphlash and the backup feature can be used.

Working Phoenix-BIOS-files(to enable the Backup-feature in WinPhlash) can be download from:
http://global.acer.com/support/index.htm

http://download.medion.de/downloads/tre ... 04010e.exe
(sfx-executable)
BIOS backup - Multi BIOS - prevent a BIOS update failure:
RD1 BIOS Savior

http://www.ioss.com.tw
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

As I said its a coppermine core so it should have 256. Using regedit to set cache size is redundant in XP. Haven't had time to fiddle recently.[/quote]

intel produced 100 fsb coppermine celerons with enhanced
mmx sse instructions from 450-650 i beleive,as i speak i got one and it looks identical to the 256k version except the theres no speedstep
with the celerons now assuming you indeed are running 600mghz
and its supposed to be a 256k version,surely then its really a 750cpu for it to run 600 anyway.conversely if its a 600 +your running 600
(with no mods on the cpu)then you definetaly got he celeron :wink: dont worry personally i couldn't split the performance difference (especially on the coppermine cores +concluded in bench tests that a 500 coppermine
with 128l2 easily outperformed a pentium 2 433 256l2 in every department (mmx included)despite its 256l2 cache so its not as slow as intel make it out to be +i'm certain celeron run alot cooler +can be overclocked better too,as i speak i can barely notice the diffrence between a p3-700(256)+coppermine 500(128)on my thinkpad but i did notice the coppermine 500(128)moreso felt sharper+smoother than the pentium 2-433(256) maybe the 108 to 75 fsb had a lot to do ith it.
funny thing is you have companys lke ibm+hp who officially advertised
their p2-366 spec notebooks to have 512 l2 cahe,yet these cpus were never manufactured in mmc2 form(512l2)+they get away with it).
check the cpu part no if you need to make certain.
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

Borg Number One wrote:generally:

Latest IBM BIOS-updates (of notebooks/PCs/Mainboards/Servers) use special compression/packing method.

Furthermore the IBM BIOS-updates are stored in
"Self extracting-file/image-to-disk-executables".

In most cases these are SFX-CAB-Archives ->Can be unpacked with WinRar/WinAce

or "WinImage"-SFX-executebles. ->WinImage opens them.

So it is no problem to unpack the disk images and load them into WinImage.(or similar)

After this In WinImage you can see a "$*.fl1"-file which is the BIOS-update.
(Compressed/packed in a special method)

Phoenix WinPhlash (Phoenix BIOS flash utility for Windows) is able to use/read the special "IBM-compressed" BIOS-files without problems.

Well, we need WinPhlash's Backup-feature to get a decent Phoenix-BIOS-image from your current system.
This backup image is uncompressed and can be edit (by me).

1.)
Download and install: Phoenix WinPhlash (www.google.com ; or ask me to get a really new release)

2.)
Flash your BIOS with the latest BIOS-update in/with WinPhlash.
(take/use the mentioned method above: winimage)

3.)
Do not reboot and after flashing the BIOS take a backup again(select/choose: "backup BIOS only" in WinPhlash) and send it to me.

For this backup, choose a certain/another path.

Important:
To use Phoenix Winphlash's Backup-feature you have to enter/choose/select a working BIOS-file in the "Specify new BIOS file"-field.
After this, choose advanced settings.

If there are no problems, then the BIOS-file will be accepted by Winphlash and the backup feature can be used.

Working Phoenix-BIOS-files(to enable the Backup-feature in WinPhlash) can be download from:
http://global.acer.com/support/index.htm

http://download.medion.de/downloads/tre ... 04010e.exe
(sfx-executable)
8O hey can this work on a hp phoenix bios too?basically i will have to get
2 bios versions so i can extract the microcodes+modifie existing+latest bios(fix microcode update for p3)if i get the files can you muster this?am willing to pay you for the trouble,(just too tedious for me,i think).
conversely if the tp600e can have tp600x cpu microcode updates
it will save a lot of hassle chances are the newer bios for the tp600e
won't support p3 cpu fully (127 error post)+i can't see why ibm would go out of their way to assist tp600e punters whom like to upgrade to p3 cpu.
Borg Number One
Master Flasher

additional information to: "generally facts:"

If you want to have a normal and unpacked Phoenix BIOS-image (for modification),
but flashing with Winpflash does not work with the compressed BIOS update file(there are some IBM BIOS updates which does not work with WinPhlash),
then use the normal Flash-utils which comes with the BIOS update file(s).

After flashing then you can use Winphlash
(+working BIOS-update file, maybe from another board/notebook)
to enable WinPhlash's Backup -feature and to create an uncompressed BIOS backup image.

@all

If you want to see, how to modify/(how a professional one->me :) modifies ) Phoenix/AMI/Award -BIOSes live, then start and run netmeeting:

Start->run->"conf"
->setup netmeeting....
->...do not select the Log on to a directory server when NetMeeting starts check box
->...select the Do not list my name in the directory check box

If you are ready with setting up Netmeeting, then select Call -> New Call.

In the To: box, enter the adress*
In the Using: box, select Network

adress*:=
Now it is 05:30 (in the morning);
You will get my address when I am online again at 13:30 or 14:00.

I am tired and I will go to bed now.
RD1 BIOS Savior

Borg Number One
Master Flasher

adress for netmeeting:
borg-number-one.dyndns.org
RD1 BIOS Savior

beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

Borg Number One wrote:adress for netmeeting:
borg-number-one.dyndns.org

8) no worries ,i'll update once im ready,
something weird hasppened with the hp laptop,apparrently it wont boot
with mmc2 cel433,cel,450,500+p111500 officially p2400 is acceptable+
i heard someone say they had success with a p111450,despite it not detecting all the above it posted with both p111650+750 cpus(albeit low volts+reduced speedstep speeds,the boot screen detected both as pentium pros(looks cool)but deaaset what is hps problem ,why such a dumb bios?i downloaded the update p111 microcodes +dos tools from acer do you think its worth me trying to install the microcodes instead.
that may solve hps bios,conversely i got the tp 600e+600x bios files already extracted in seperate folders , i grabbed the windows executable full tp600x file from the temp directory,i assume this is whats needed to extract the microcode updates,conversely i also got the dos bootable versions 600e+600x, but the files seems to be restricted to 512kb, if some how the tp 600e can be modded + load ok on the tp 600e without checksum errors etc better yet windows executable would be cool that would enable these to run in excess of 900mghz +in sharedocs case over 1g with 800-850mmc2+modded mobos with no need for pll software,
if only ibm had the windows executable version for the tp 600e too
it would save the need to extract the full bios ,then again i am no expert
in this ,i managed to mod some nvidia cards with my name on the boot screen+2005 bios date(cool) but thats about it.fortunately i had a great little programm that allowed easy manipulation +a tester temp bios
flasher that allowed you to check if inddeed the bios would works
(nice stuff indeed)for non experts like myself. 8O