IBM Thinkpad 600E bios mod for processor update

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

spotslayer wrote:beatoem

Thank's for the ideas. I guess I'm just an old hacker at heart. I think I may try the celeron suggestion. That sound like a good first attempt.

Any other thought on any other projects. I worked in an IBM house for several years and still have access to older thinkpads. I would like to get my feet wet with some projects I could succeed with.

David :twisted:
many are possible,i just got a 7200rpm hdd running on a tp 600x,600e is to follow,also running a 8x dvd burner no sweat on both,the only gripes is that i know the bx chipset supports ata 66 but all 600 sereis allow only ata33 from he host bus,oddly enough the samsung 5.4k has higher data retreival than the hitachi 7.2k at ata33 speeds,the tp 600e @108 fsb is ignificantly faster than the tp600x @100fsb,maybe thers a way to enable ata66 in the bios ,then again 23-31 mps aint too shabby either ,considering the limited bandwidth.

8O ibm employee? interesting,you must come across some beaut things from time to time,by the way how does one go about ordering new plastics like lcd lids.bezels for say a tp 390x?its not like a car dealership where one can order a bonnet etc,i'm out of touch there.
ever heard of a 765d thinkpad with a 24x24x24 cd burner
fitted like it came from the factory?
d saint"
squink
New visitors - please read the rules.

I got super lucky and found a 2645-8BU board on ebay for $35 :D
Will post my experiences with the 850 chip when the board arrives.
Williham

Do amy of you know if there is any way at all to speed up the onboard trident cyber9397 on the tp 770z because it realy is pathetic, especialy because i have the 4mb version :roll:
ChrisL
BIOS Newbie

For everyone interested in overclocking the 600E above the 108Mhz FSB with a turboPLL I have found a good cooling solution. It isn't a drop in fit though and the heatsink requires modification o fit.

The heatsink that best fits is for a Compaq Evo 610C, it has two large heatpipes that lead to a huge copper radiator. It is meant to keep the 40 Watt pentium 4 M's at a steady 60 * C so imagine what it can do for a pentium 3.

I'll be posting my results as I finish the project.
Here is a picture of the unmodified heatsink:

I got mine for $20 including shipping
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

there are some reasonable cyberblade drivers over the net for win 9x -2k,conversely you may try setting dvd for 800x600 /8-16 bit colour depth with power dvd xp 4.0 which gives nice linear playback even on 266mgz machine in w9x.theres also a bx chipset tuner for w9x that helps things too,but you have to trail +error before a good compromise is acheived.the 770 have an optional video card forenhanced mpeg/ dvd playback ,dunno if you already have that affixed on your rig,that being the case did you try ibm dvd /mpeg playback enhanced drivers?
i beleive the trident drivers work best with dx3-5

***interesting heatsink there,got mine under control with a 0.040 copper shim replacing the original thermal matt,which i sourced from a ol laptop power supply that was dead to my curiosity i fluked the perfect sized copper shim inwhich i made 3 shims out of 1 psu.
d saint"
Williham

Im just using the drivers that win 2000 installed, im guessing that this is not the best choice so il hav a look on google for some better ones
hjulian

Hi,

I am trying to get a TP 600E to boot without error 8611 (TrackPoint).

I learned from another thread that by changing value "02" to "01" in the CMOS hex-editor (3rd row, 1st column), I would be able to disable the TrackPoint in my TP 600E.

The same value "02" changed to "0A" is supposed to disable L2 cache on a Pentium III upgrade for this machine.

Now...how is that supposed to work?

Can anybody confirm the error 8611 edit?
ChrisL
BIOS Newbie

Ok good news for the installation, I removed everything and am only using the two heatpipes and the radiator and fan. It fits the layout perfectly, I only have to modify the exhuast port alittle to get the radiator to fit in. It looks really cool with the big heatsink.

The things I have left to do are to built a port for the fan and hook it up with a 1000 Ohm pot so I can manually vary the voltage from the USB header from 5 down.

I have a question about the BIOS though. On boot it is giving the 192 error because the fan does not have a wire to report speed. Does anyone know what byte controls this in the CMOS? What value can I change it to so the BIOS doesn't check for the fan on boot?
Williham

The link for the powerleap utility seems dead... so can anyone give me a link if they know one or email it to williham880@hotmail.com. Iv scoured google for the utility but cant find it.
Thanks again for your awesome work

p.s: That heatpipe cooler seems pretty dam intense!!!
hjulian

Were you looking for this?

http://powerleap.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/p ... 1049321145

I can remember downloading this and getting some sort of error because it would only work with Pentium III CPUs. I was, of course, just trying it out with my Pentium II CPU still installed.

Good luck!
Williham

Yes, thanks a lot
squink

I know this is a long shot, but I don't suppse anyone knows the location of the USB Controller chip on the 600e system board?

Finding this would be very helpful in my efforts to add the second USB port. I'm thinking it might fit nicely where the External Floppy/Drive port is (I personally have never used this, and most likely never will). If anyone has any better ideas for a location, I'm all ears.

ChrisL; How much modification does that sink need? Looks like it could be pretty useful - maybe we could even pass the 1ghz barrier :)
ChrisL
BIOS Newbie

squink,

Modification...the only part you use from the original heatsink are the fan, radiator, dual heatpipes, and the mounting pad. The hardest part was removing the aluminum pad under the radiator but in hindsight I think I should have just left it on and removed the USB bung from the chassis. With a dremel tool everything goes quick. Also the alignment between the two heat tranfer plates is perfect. Its like it was engineered that way. Did I mention the copper radiator hanging out looks real mean?

The heatsink will most likely be good up to about 130 mhz FSB for my MMC-2 750Mhz and it will be more than enough for a MMC-2 850 to get to 1Ghz at 117Mhz FSB.

I tried out the heatsink today and it works VERY well. At full load (100% cpu use) the temp doesn't go above 75* @ 108FSB and 810Mhz...did I mention the fan isn't even installed yet? hahaha

I also found that I can bypass the 192 error by esc and f1, and once I'm in windows I can just put it into hybernation until I need it again. It would be nice to figure out the 192 error but its not first priority right now.
squink

Chris -
How far does the radiator extrude? Surely this must get moderately hot after a while, or is it just that good at cooling? :) Wouldn't fancy catching the side of my hand on something like that if it's hot.

Is there any real difference in height between the new sink and the old 600e version?

Also - My processor is currently artic silver'd, does it appear like it would take to arctic silver well, or is this a specific thermal-pad only sorta deal?

OH, and with the removal of the aluminium pad, I assume the USB stays entirely intact? Conflicting mods could be a problem for me :)
ChrisL
BIOS Newbie

Here are two pictures of the fitment

It is flush with the plastic outside. Also I just did an experiment, the fan seen to the left of the first photo was placed inside the cavity where the heatpipe turns around and I connected it to the USB +5v.

With the fan running and 100% CPU usage the highest temp after 10 min. was 62* C !! Keep in mind this is with no artic silver and the pads just touching copper to copper. (my setup is 108 FSB and 810Mhz)

I plan to add artic silver between the two pads and after this trial I have to think about if I am going to build a housing for the fan because it cools pretty darn well just moving air around.

I'm usuming the USB will still work when the wire and pot or soldered to the connection. USB stays in place.