IBM Thinkpad 600E bios mod for processor update

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
kanoyams
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thanks for all your help Sharedoc!

I'm slowly getting the items to upgrade my 600e. I've decided to use Kihwal Lee's guide at http://kihwal.fayoly.net/600e/ and run the processor in powersave mode - is this the safest option?

I've bought a 750 mhz P3 CPU from eBay. Here's a picture of it: http://img272.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p3750ow3.jpg Hopefully it does not arrive with bent pins or without thermal paste. Those are some scary stories.

Also, I needed to test my onboard RAM to see if it's PC100 compliant. I picked up a 256 MB stick five years ago for twenty dollars, including shipping. It is probably of low quality and might present problems. I'm not sure how to test it from the BIOs.

The Kingston CL2 256 PC100 RAM is a little expensive. Does anyone know a good supplier? I may end up buying it.

There was some Samsung PC 133 144 pin CL3 sticks of 256 RAM going for cheap, but I wonder if it is compatible with the Thinkpad. I would guess not - but I am hardly an expert on this subject. Does anyone know if CL3 RAM is compatible? Thanks!
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

When you install your 750Mhz PIII processor it will run 600MHz, which is already prividing good performance improvement over 400MHz PII.

About memory sticks, you need to try if they work. There is a list of known to work types in this thread. If you find a new type that works, please post it.
prizal_a

sharedoc..
I have my thinkpad 600e 2645-8aa with error EO 301
What's that mean?
what's wrong with my tp600e? :cry:

i by pass it, and i have log in to My Win XP, but my keyboard and stick pointer doesn't work, either i use external mouse..

what should i do??? :cry:
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

301 = keyboard error

It could be keyboard cable broken/loose or some key has stuck down.
prizal_a

i see...

i've try to change it with my other 600e and working.
so..
my keyboard has broken...

is there any suggestion about it?

should i have to buy a keyboard for it?
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Buy fresh keyboard from eBay.
kanoyams

In the near-future, I'm going to write a reference w/pictures for 600e modders who want a quick and easy method of upgrading their Thinkpads to a Pentium 3. Without Sharedoc, this would have been impossible. Your help is much appreciated.

For right now, I have a final question before I start modding:

Do I need to replace the plastic coated screws after opening the case? According to the maintenance manual, this is required, but it seems a little severe.
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

No need to replace the screws
prizal_a

Sharedoc wrote:Buy fresh keyboard from eBay.
it's difficult to find any seller which ship to indonesia. Could U help me for it please?
silverfast

I just came across this wonderful forum and found this incredible topic. My kudos to all the nice people here and also very special thanks to Sharedoc who was kind enough to share alot of cool infos on modding TP 600s. You're the man!

I managed to read most of the posts since yesterday and i feel like getting a TP 600 and mod it just for the fun of it. I use T40 and T23 in my daily work but wouldn't mind a TP 600 as it's pretty compact and nice. Any ideas guys, which TP 600 to grab? I can get a few of those but they differ with the cpu installed as well as amount of memory, etc. Which one should i buy and which to avoid? For instance, do i need TP 600 with P2 300 or 350? Or could i as well grab one with 266 clock and upgrade it easily to P3? Any differences in motherboards and such?

I will greatly appreciate Your help. Kudos to everyone once again.

s.
LeetHax0

Many thanks to Sharedoc and all who posted here, now I have a 600E @540MHz.
I got this baby some days ago and was impressed on how far it can go.

Now I only need a lerger HD and more memory. Win2k runs like a charm, and it's fine to use for wardriving purposes.
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Silverfast,
600X is propably the best selection if you find one.

600E with PII 366 or 400 is also a good buy and can be updated to P3 up to 850MHz. There are plenty available

Plain 600 is not good buy because processor update is very limited and early ones have only 800*600 display.
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Prizal_a,
Keyboard can be sent in a letter so shipping it should not be a problem. More problems may be with payment. If you have an international credit card it should not be a problem.
prizal_a

Sharedoc wrote:Prizal_a,
Keyboard can be sent in a letter so shipping it should not be a problem. More problems may be with payment. If you have an international credit card it should not be a problem.
Thanx,
I'll Try..
cmarti
BIOS Newbie

Hi To everybody!
:)
I am new to this forum but been reading from it from years, man an excelent resource.

I have a question,

Is there a fsb mod that can be made to the 770Z? I been searching a found this page but it on chinesse i think

From i believe this is a picture of a 770X mobo with a FSB mod. Am i correct?

[url=http://img223.imageshack.us/my.php?image=770xfsbmodot1.png]Image

Is this modification possible, in the next week i will upgrade the cpu from my 770Z from PIII 500mhz to PIII 750mhz with the speedstep mod. But also will love to do the FSB mod. :twisted:

Thanks.

Carlos.
T43p/1600x1200 w/flexview/2.13GHZ/2GB/ENGENIUS EMP-8602+S 600mw mini pci
X60/1.83GHZ/2GB/Atheros
A31p/2GHZ/2GB/Atheros
600X/850MHZ/576MB/Atheros W/External antenna ALL with 100GB 7K100