IBM Thinkpad 600e Type 2645-3AU Bios update problems

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
Icesplice
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hey guys,

Im up against a wall here. Got a IBM Thinkpad 600e Type 2645-Au, which needs a bios flash to upgrade its existing problems. the update is on the IBM site, and uses the 3.5 drive to boot in and flash the drive.

This is where I have the problem. SOme rocket scientist at IBM decided that it was a good idea to write in a step that checks to see if the laptop battery is fully charged, and f its not, stop the sequence. Good idea, but the designs for the 600e's battery were faulty, burning out through overcharging. Smart battery technology, courtesy of IBM.

So, here I am, stuck with a software patch that wont. Anyone got any ideas as to how to get around this problem? Either software or hardware. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Gil
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

ibmbatthelp

I have exactly the same issue, however, the instructions linked in the previous post seem like they are out dated.

The latest BIOS 1.22 from IBM has flash2.exe (not phlash.exe) and $0029000.fl1 & $0029000.fl2 (not $0179000.FL1 & $0179000.FL3).

I tried to use these instructions anyway, but they didn't work, any ideas would be great! Thanks!
pHuZ

OK... Here it goes...

I acutally registered to provide this info for all the poor souls wanting to update their Thinkpad 600,600E,600X etc with a dead battery.

Follow the instructions below as I have just updated mine with a dead battery.

*** This is NOT a safe way to update the bios (disclaimer) ***

* First you need to make a BIOS update floppy disk (from the bios file from IBM - place disk in a: drive, run app and answer Y to the agreement) and then format another disk by right clicking on A: - format - make system bootdisk (assuming you have another machine spare)

* Copy all the files from the IBM Boot disk - in my case
$0029000.fl1
$0029000.fl2
FLASH2.EXE
PROD.DAT
UPDTFLSH.EXE
updtrom.exe
USERINT.EXE
UTILINFO.EXE
to the other clean bootdisk.

* Ensure that there is no config.sys and autoexec.bat so it just runs straight into DOS.

* Place the disk into the Laptop, reboot and allow the machine to load via the floppy

* At the command prompt, type "FLASH2.EXE /U" with no quotes then press enter.

The program will automatically search for the files *.FL1 & *.FL2 and load the bios first then the platform file.

The program will automatically update and perform erasing on the rom and then finish with "Update complete".

* Now reboot.

* Hold F1 down as you turn the laptop back on and go into Easy Setup under "Config" click on Initialize to ensure defaults and settings are error free.

* Save and exit...

Man, this has been a pain but after the search and coming across the command line by chance; I could not sit back after success and not share the cure/fix with the rest of the world...

Enjoy

pHuZ
CookerG

I tried the fix that pHuZ had posted unfortunately it didn't work for me.... well not all of it ..... I ensured that the config.sys or autoexec.bat files were not present and tried the update unfortunately I did not receive a command prompt. SO I made one ..... I stuck in the win98 boot disc >>dir the a: seen flash2.exe >> typed (flash2.exe /u) the command with the /u switch and voila success hope this helps

regards CookerG
ibmbatthelp

pHuZ - I followed your instructions and it worked perfectly! Thanks so much. I am glad you found the /U switch.
pHuZ

Yeh it has been a great day because during my trolling exercise for info and after buying a new power adaptor $60, I then had problems with XP and 2 batteries that I thought were O.K.

Some of the posts on other sites and google newsgroups had soooo many ppl trying to do something that once I got it working, I nearly fell off my chair.... :D

Just remember to get the files "rom *.FL1 & platform *.FL2" on to a new dos bootdisk plus the programmer (can come in different names) and use the /U switch.

I hope it works for other models of IBM Thinkpad as well...

Adios.

pHuZ
mapman4gis

I have a 600e 2645-4KU with a battery that won't charge.

I followed pHuZ's directions but I got the following message after typing
Flash2.exe /u at the command prompt:

***** Starting Flash Update Utility *****
Please wait...
The FOL function is not enabled.
***** The progress ended. *****

I created a boot disk from my other WinXP Pro machine and added the files from the ibm bios boot disk.

$0044000.fl1
$0044000.fl2
COMMAND.COM
CONFIG.SYS
DISPLAY.SYS
EGA.CPI
EGA2.CPI
EGA3.CPI
FLASH2.EXE
IBMBIO.COM
IBMDOS.COM
IO.SYS
KEYB.COM
KEYBOARD.SYS
KEYBRD2.SYS
KEYBRD3.SYS
KEYBRD4.SYS
MODE.COM
MSDOS.SYS
PROD.DAT
UPDTFLSH.EXE
updtrom.exe
USERINT.EXE
UTILINFO.EXE
Icesplice

I got the same error as well...

Played around in the Bios set up, you have to turn flash upload on. Right now my machine is flashing the bios... hopefully, and it will be usable.
Give it a try..

-Icesplice
jac0b

I am having the same problem as mapman4gis
I do flash2.exe /u and all I get is

**** Starting Flash Update Utility ****
Please wait...
The FOL function is not enabled.
**** The progress has ended. ****

Can someone please help.
jac0b

I have just figure out what Icesplice was talking about above.
To enable you to flash the BIOS you have to make sure it is enabled in the bios.

To find out go to
Config -> Network -> and you see it there just make sure that Flash is enabled.

Thanks Icesplice
Roma

I tried to make the floppy but I just can't understand how it's done, can somebody explain in detail how to do this, can't understand how to copy from bios floppy to bootable disk.