IBM TP600X SPEEDSTEP AND XP = MICROSOFT BLUNDER WITH CPU

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
bachikho
BIOS Rookie

so it seems 2 be that power supply is the cause, p3 need more power than celeron, no?
pkiff
BIOS Newbie

beatoem:

Thank you so much for the information about changing the processor driver in order to deal with problems reaching full speed on a 600X with SpeedStep CPU running XP. Your suggested solution solved my problem in my 600X running a PIII 850MHz under XP SP2.

Having said that, I would note that my testing indicated a number of things not consistent with your results.

According to many users over at the ThinkPad Mailing List, a 600X laptop that began life with a PIII 650MHz installed is able to run at full speed perfectly fine using the original processor driver installed under XP SP2 as well as under a variety of other versions of Windows.

Also, in my 600X that started out with a PIII 650MHz and was upgraded to PIII 750MHz, no processor upgrade was necessary to achieve full speed under XP SP2. This laptop is using the driver file "WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\p3.sys" (this is the one that is installed when you select "Intel PentiumIII Processor") and it runs just fine and it changes speed as it should when you change the Power Scheme and/or when you plug in the AC or unplug the AC.

Only on my 600X that was upgraded to a PIII 850MHz did I find it necessary to change the processor driver to the "WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\intelppm.sys" (this is the one that is installed when you select "Intel Processor").

Note also that I do not experience any of the system freezing you report, nor is it ever necessary for me to use Fn F2 or any other escape key sequence on boot up, regardless of which processor driver I have installed or which of my upgraded 600X machines I am using. The only noticeable difference appears specific to my PIII 850MHz machine, and on that machine, as you suggest, it appears that this alternate processor driver is necessary in order to achieve maximum CPU speed under XP SP2.

I'm continuing to gather additional information from other users on this issue in other forums and I will post back here once I have compiled my findings.

A record of my testing and exeriences (along with a note of credit to you) has been posted on the Thinkpads.com Forum:
SpeedStep Issues with XP on 600X Upgraded to PIII 850MHz

Thanks again for pointing out the solution of changing the processor driver. I am quite sure I would never have come across this solution on my own.

Phil.
holmch66
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello!!

Almost thought that my MMC-2 800MHz CPU module upgrade to a IBM Thinkpad 600X was a waste but now...

I CAN CONFIRM THAT THIS SOLUTION WORKS!!! Just changing the processor driver in WinXP did the trick!! Boots clean from XP with no F11 key or PSU unpluggings et.

GREAT, thanks so much for sharing this information!! I hate to leave projects unfinshed and now I got my Thinkpad fully working!!

:D

Best regards, holmch66
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

8) i pefer not to run win xp pro sp2 because i don't need all that garbo microsoft prompts users on dial up or standard adsl connections
in order to filter out the parasites,i run a adsl remote gateway wifi router with 128 bit encryption,inbuilt firewall etc,and from the gateway filtered to a belkin 802.11b pcmcia card (which runs rings around netgears 80211g,54mps counterparts ,as far as true 1.5mpbs adsl downloads go,and are rock solid stable over 2.5hrs wifi time full running multiple programs,etc(lucky if one manages 1 hour with a centino ibm on wifi cranking the wits out of it) 8) in my case theres no need to modify an original perfect xp os in the first place,cause the gateway filters out themsome parasites,all i do is load xp pro original/no sp,no updates whatsoever and my 128mb 650 laptop runs every bit as fast as a p4 2.4 /512mb with all that sp2 garbage.
it brings to my attention that win xp prosp2 fully supports speedstep cpu with no driver change,i haven't ever clean installed win xpsp2 for reasons above,however in an upgraded win xpsp1 to sp2 laptop i had to change the cpu driver to avoid issues with battery booting,even then i have to type fn/f8 to allow the boot process to complete with a 650 cpu,i beleive the 700-850mmc2 cpus have certain revisions in their registrars that cater for this issue,conversely if its 600-650 speedstep cpu fitted ,irrespective of original or non original i would like to hear of anyone thats had success with a clean install of win xp sp2(because they all run the same planars indeed(contary to ibm's misleading assumption that they are different,otherwise why are all tp 600x bioses the same?
thanks for the input, looking forward to finding out if someone out there has a 600-650 rigged 600x that clean boots in xp with a fully working battery and psu without the glitch ,maybe a power managment change will do the trick anyone with optimal settings let us know
i'm all ears :wink:
d saint"
blogGreen88
New visitors - please read the rules.

This is a good talking about the ac power supplies!!I learn a lot more about ac power supplies here,I like it.
I search Yahoo for long time and find here.By the way I found some content on another website about it.Also,you can find some other on it,such as cottage holidays or radko or performance evaluation.
LOL!Good job and go on talking plz,boys :)
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

:? got the netgear 54mps g rated performance nearly as good as the belkin 11mps b rated wifi card,(as far as sheer download and browser speeds are concerned, :? however the 11mps b wifi card is easier on the battery life and performs better too to the naked eye ,maybe its something to do with the prism 2.5 chipsets on b wifi cards :wink:
d saint"
bachikho
BIOS Rookie

changed cpu driver to intelppm.sys (renamed p3.sys to p3.sy), changed power scheme to "Always on", my p3 800 still running at 650 (with SS disable in bios, can't boot if set to auto), what's wrong?