IBM TP600X SPEEDSTEP AND XP = MICROSOFT BLUNDER WITH CPU

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

UPDATE-if anyone intend to upgrade or install win xp on tp600x(possibly other notebooks too utilising .18 micron core coppermine speedstep cpus)
heres a rough guide to go by .
*remove the battery and load windows.

*go to device manager ,click on processor ,update driver ,select i will choose driver to install,in winxpsp2 select intel only(not intel p111)
reboot pc.

*install either ibm intel speedstep ver 1.1 program or speedswitch xp ver 1.14 progam with battery fitted in xp and adjust parameters.

there you go,perfect clean boot,shut down+full speed nall in xp pro with 650 tp600x (youve seen it first world wide here on wims bios).no where else was an effective solution founded,tp600x speedstep users were restricted to win2k or xp only with out the battery and lower speed,finally
i corrected the issue and found the perfect solution,reasearched over a few days , despite microsoft pleading that speedstep cpu was supported in xp,and ibm suggesting the software is compatable with xp too,maybe thats the case, however it was not seen by the lazy XP PRO os ,it was A MICROSOFT INCORRECT DEFAULT PROCESSOR DRIVER problem ,not ibm,nor intel nor me or the rest of the tp650 users whom failed to run speedstep cpu effectivly their machines with xp pro.
the tp600x now enjoys full compatability in xp with speedstep technology,i glad to share the info to others.at the same time i want to thank everyone whom contributed their hard earnt efforts to helping others,and at the same time rebuke them that covered up for microsoft
by denying the o.s blunder.
d saint"
bachikho
BIOS Rookie

my nec versapro va60h can't boot if bios speedstep option is set to auto, only boot if set to disable, so my system doesn't support speedstep?
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

bachikho wrote:my nec versapro va60h can't boot if bios speedstep option is set to auto, only boot if set to disable, so my system doesn't support speedstep?

you say you have option in bios for speedstep ,but no boot if set to auto but boot ok if set to disable,seems like theres contradiction like thinkpad
except thinkpad has auto enable set in bios.despite sounds like similar situation,if your running xp pro with speedstep disabled in bios.
go to device manager and update cpu processor driver via (i will choose a driver to install) method and select either
a/ processor in xp pro /sp1 driver date approx x/7/2001
b/intel(not intel p111) in xp pro sp2 driver date 1/4/2004

reboot see if everything is fine ,then set bios speedstep support to auto
if it boots fine then install speedstep v1.1 applet and see how you go.
if problem still there try along them lines maybe reverse procedure /vica versa.
d saint"
bachikho
BIOS Rookie

i don't think the problem involved to cpu driver because if bios speedstep option is set to auto, i can't even boot to dos with AC plugged in (only bootable with battery), if set to disable, boot ok with either AC or battery!
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

win xp pro with advanced acpi power managment is very powerfull to the point that its drivers indeed can manipulate the bios in certain different ways,a simple driver change resolved speedstep issue on tp600x just like as if it had disable enable menu in the bios.
thats how powerfull xp acpi power managment incorporates certain drivers
with amazing effect.
d saint"
bachikho
BIOS Rookie

beatoem wrote:UPDATE-if anyone intend to upgrade or install win xp on tp600x(possibly other notebooks too utilising .18 micron core coppermine speedstep cpus)
heres a rough guide to go by .
*remove the battery and load windows.

*go to device manager ,click on processor ,update driver ,select i will choose driver to install,in winxpsp2 select intel only(not intel p111)
reboot pc.

*install either ibm intel speedstep ver 1.1 program or speedswitch xp ver 1.14 progam with battery fitted in xp and adjust parameters.

there you go,perfect clean boot,shut down+full speed nall in xp pro with 650 tp600x (youve seen it first world wide here on wims bios).no where else was an effective solution founded,tp600x speedstep users were restricted to win2k or xp only with out the battery and lower speed,finally
i corrected the issue and found the perfect solution,reasearched over a few days , despite microsoft pleading that speedstep cpu was supported in xp,and ibm suggesting the software is compatable with xp too,maybe thats the case, however it was not seen by the lazy XP PRO os ,it was A MICROSOFT INCORRECT DEFAULT PROCESSOR DRIVER problem ,not ibm,nor intel nor me or the rest of the tp650 users whom failed to run speedstep cpu effectivly their machines with xp pro.
the tp600x now enjoys full compatability in xp with speedstep technology,i glad to share the info to others.at the same time i want to thank everyone whom contributed their hard earnt efforts to helping others,and at the same time rebuke them that covered up for microsoft
by denying the o.s blunder.
i've done exactly as you said but nothing changed, i think it's because i can't enable speedstep in bios, no?
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

that depends if the bios has speedstep enable/disable function
i removed speedstep program from windows xp and found
some interesting settings with xpsp2 power managment

set to max sys performance,desktop/laptop,max battery performance
all yield max speed of 650 ,regardless if its running battery or power.
but if i set to max battery it runs 500 on power and 200 on battery :? ,
i am trying out speedstep version 1.3,with this i can now run 650 on power and 200 on battery on max battery mode,what i'm after is the fastest speed on power and the longest battery performance regardless,
as long as 200 mghz is enough to play dvd for bbq :wink:
i beleive all speedstep ver 1xx apps are for mmc2 cpu and ver 2xx for mpga2 and later p111 cpu,just identify what type of p3 cpu is on your rig
and go by matching version software (ie 1.1,1.3 or 2.1,2.2 etc).
d saint"
bachikho
BIOS Rookie

but if speedstep is set to enable in bios, my system can't boot, so my mobo doesn't support speedstep?
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

8O if the mobo no support speedstep than why does bios have in the menu?i don't understand ,but i do understand that win xp conflicts with boot process after initial bios post screen where hdd tries to load os.(especially on cold boots)
you can try to press fn/+8 or fn+f12 etc ,or press power button twice ,or see if boot with no battery affixed or battery only affixed and see what happens
d saint"
luceman
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have a tp600x and recently upgraded to P3 850....I am running SpeedSwitchXP v 1.4 as well with Win XP Pro...

The majority of the time, my proc registers in Windows as 697 Mhz...I have tinkered w. the Windows power management settings, as well as the SpeedSwitch settings, setting them to "Always On" and "Max Performance" and occasionally the cpu will register only in the 300 mhz range on AC power....

I also have the hanging issue on boot up, and if I hit Fn+F12 a few times, I am able to get through the boot sequence into Windows with the battery in.....Oddly enough, last weekend I was just reading emails and happened to check in System information to see what the CPU was reading as, and to my surprise it said 847 mhz!!! 8O I thought that was great, but it hasn't happened since....now, this 847 reading was immediately following a fresh install of XP...so I thought I had solved the problem simply with the resinstall, but have quickly realized that's not the case...

Any suggestions? This is really the only site I have been able to find any concrete information on this issue....so thanks in advance for any thoughts/solutions/suggestions you may have!! :)
bachikho
BIOS Rookie

beatoem wrote:you can try to press fn/+8 or fn+f12 etc ,or press power button twice ,or see if boot with no battery affixed or battery only affixed and see what happens
i did all that but nothing changed, maybe the reason is upgrading bios (i upgraded bios AFTER install new cpu, not BEFORE, it seems that i have to do this with OLD cpu, BEFORE install new cpu, no?)?
bachikho
BIOS Rookie

still can't run cpu at max speed, mobile p3 800 only run at 650, what am i to do????????????????????????
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

hif speedstep ok with older bios ,maybe new bios not good,try old bios again,or try other cpu with current bios ,if mmc 2 cpu you can modifie cpu
and use deepsleep program(re tp600e post for details)
if it was me reverse procedure to as before when speedstep work with older bios.then see if its running full speed before reflashing again.
looking at it it seems
a/speedstep ok before bios update and or b/ speedstep ok before changing cpu .
i wonder which one is the problem.
d saint"
bachikho
BIOS Rookie

how can i reuse old bios?
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

bachikho wrote:how can i reuse old bios?

try and locate older bios file if possible, then reflash back to old bios.
d saint"