Laptop CPU Problem

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
LordZog
New visitors - please read the rules.

Using a Toshiba M73 whihc came originally with a Celeron-M 390. UPgraded to a Pentium-M 740 and I have a problem with it.

It is detected by the bios and windows as a Intel Pentium-M 740 at 1.73Ghz, problem is it is only running at 798 Mhz with a multiplier of x6 and a voltage of 0.988.. Now, here is the problem.. The Bios has the latest rev of the microcode for this processor (06d8 rev 20), but the settings are way off.. As this bios is customized by Toshiba themselves, the SpedStep/Power options have been removed from the bios as this machine didn't include a processor that had this option, even tho the chipset (ATI SB450/Mobility Xpress 200M) does have Enhanced Speedstep included, but disabled by bios.. Can I modify the ACPI table manually and then reflash to run correctly? As well, how would I go about doing this? Its hard to find tools for a Phoenix bios that will support the TrustedCore system. :( Bios Editor 2.2.0.1 will allow my to look at the ACPI table, but, I am not positive how to change the info as it doesn't seem to be specific to one processor but how to get the info from the chip.. Thanks.
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Did you try any utilities if they can switch higher multipliers on?
(Rightmark CPU clock utility etc)
liaoo

For notebook the CPU core frequency varis with different loading.

Do you try the case in which "CPU loading is maximum" ? At that time the CPU core frequency "should be" at 133MHz*13 = 1.73GHz

Of course you can use "SpeedStep tools" to check if the multiplier can be changed...

As for modifying ACPI table I think this is not allowed because current config software only "reads" it and "write" is prohibited

If above all failed my suggestion is to report this to Toshiba ^_^
LordZog

The multiplier can only be changed if I send the right register to the chip.. SpeedStep is disabled and the "Tools" ya can download don't work.. :( ACPI can be modified but you need to know what your changing as its just scripting.

I can get it to run full speed now but I have to run my app every boot, but I am trying to solve this low level. As for Toshiba support, all they say is the chip isn't supported, even tho the mobo is the same as the M70's and they came with it.. Just bios limitations on the M73. TOshiba's support is worthless.. Unless I can't get to my Windows Desktop as a problem, they don't know whats wrong with it. :)
Jon T

I have this issue but with a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro V2030, trying to use a Pentium M 750 (Dothan) 1.86Ghz.

Multiplier is max at 6x with an FSB of 100mhz (should be 133).

With RightMark I can force the multiplier to 14x (correct), but the FSB is still incorrect.

There have been no BIOS updates to this model since 2006 and future models use a different board.

My board contains a Via VN800 chipset.

A question was posed on the FS support board by someone with the same problem as me, but FS was helpful in as much as locking the post.. (http://forum.fujitsu-siemens.com/forum/ ... 20&t=17415).

I have been looking at this forum as well as The Rebels Haven in order to research manually adding microcodes. As the M 750 has been out quite a while I assume the codes are known so I was hoping this was possible.

I just don't know why Laptop manufacturers are so touchy about this, especially Toshiba (although at least they did make an update tool to fix this).

Satellite M30 microcode fix: http://home.kc.rr.com/aitf311/tutorial.zip