[solved]Lenovo X121e (x120e ,x130e) bios recovery mode

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
EjđiSixo
New visitors - please read the rules.

First of all since it's my first post Hi to everyone. Marko, from Croatia , living in Japan, 23 y/o.

I need help recovering BIOS on my lenovo. Nothing seems to work to bring the laptop in boot-block / recovery mode (if it has any). I tried all key combinations, and 3 different usb sticks but when laptop powers on it doesnt read my usb. The fan spins (not 100%) and just stays like that.

It's supposed to be phoenix bios although Andy's phoenixtool reports it as EFI / insyde.

All of the recovery methods seem outdated, and I think many of them don't cover a lot of things.

Is there any possible way to force physically or with software bios boot-block mode to activate and start reading my usb?
My bios chip is winbond and it has 8 pins (4 on one side)

Not sure where else to ask , since every other forum seems to ignore the question, and I didnt find on the whole internet anyone who successfully recovered x121e (or x120e and x130e , same bios almost same laptop) while there is a lot of topics with bricked bioses.

Huge thanks!!!!
Last edited by EjđiSixo on Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
EjđiSixo

Hi , appreciate your answer!

I have read all those topics already , although I did miss this post about it not having a bootblock at all. Not sure if that apply to x121e.

Well, it does have extended warranty which is valid for around 1 month more , but didn't even try to use it for this since everyone on the internet say they don't cover failed bios. Here is the thing , I live in Tokyo (laptop also bought here used) but I don't speak enough Japanese to argue with them lol. I guess if it doesn't have the bootblock , spi programmer is next least painful step?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

I guess so and it's going to be tricky since it's not entirely clear if they have more protection built-in. You can ofcourse contact the english-speaking Lenovo support with your request, all your local shop will have to do is send it in for repair, right?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

EjđiSixo

It's alive! I went ahead today and bought usb spi programmer , ic test clip, some wires and made adapter so I can connect test clip to programmer. Had some complications , but now it booted at the end. Looks like it really doesn't have boot - block, so this is only solution if you dont want to unsolder chip.

Thanks once again for reply!
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

I'll check the images at home since they are blocked in here by the firewall, I guess other people are posting NSFW stuff on that host...

And thank you for reporting back. What make/model programmer did you buy and where?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

EjđiSixo

Nothing to see, just my messy table lol.

It's this one http://www.aitendo.com/product/10939 which is basically CH341A. Bought it here in Tokyo actually, probably the only store that has it here lol. Was looking before that for test clip in the whole Akihabara and nobody had it. At the end found both in same store. More pricey than off ebay, but at least didn't have to wait for shipping etc..