Lights come on but nothing more..

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
zanor
New visitors - please read the rules.

Here's my story :P

Bought a used HP Pavilion ZE5525ea with a bad flashed BIOS. Tried using the bootblock mode with partially success. On first try the floppy was read but nothing happend. Got a new floppy that my floppy drive did not like just came with those horrible noises only a floppy drive can make.
I turned it off again. Tried to turn it on, but then all lights went on and the dvd-rom made the initialising sound(or what to call it) for evere 2 sec.

Okey I tought. I ripped out the chip(destroying it), soldered in a PLCC-socket. Found a 29F040 chip (the original was a SST39SF040), programmed this. But there is nothing more happening when I turn on the laptop. All lights stays on and the dvd-drive is "initialising" every 2sec.

There is no change if there is a cd in the drive, even if I remove all RAM there's no change...

Could this be because I used another chip? (same voltage, same pinout)

Charging is working.. (but only when chip is in place)

Or, what do do now?
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Difficult to say. There are nuber of possibilities

It could be that the motherboard was originally damaged elsewhere than just the bios chip.

Removing the bios chip could have damaged the motherboard

Also your resoldering could be still leavin somecontct open or there might be two pins bridged together

Or your new bios chip was not correctly programmed

Maybe time to look eBay for a fresh motherboard...