Looking for Thinkpad 770 bios file

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
Poju
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi i'm new here and here is my problem.

I screwed my bios chip, unsoldered it for reprogram, but i freaking lost it. Chip is Atmels at24c01a (if i remember right) I think i can found replasement pretty easy, but i need get bios file somewhere

If i have understod right bios file in update disk is compressed and i need to decompress it before i can program new chip. So question is how? Or is there uncompressed bios image for TP770 somewhere?

Btw if there is way to uncompress that file wich one is that $*.fl1 or $*.fl2

Why oh why i didn't made backup of my bios before :roll:
Poju

Looks like i can get my hands on 77ED and that has same bios as my 770.
I hope i can get WinPhlash to dump bios from it and use that.

My only consern is this little note from ibm's site "- All references to Slave Controller updates pertain to the ThinkPad 770E/ED systems only, not the ThinkPad 770 systems which will not allow for updates."
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Just curious. How are you going to solder the chip back?
Poju

Sharedoc is it u from murobbs?
I really enjoyed all your experiments and overclocking topics there. (back in AMD K6 days)

Anyway soldering chip back is easy part. I found original chip, but it has losed one leg, but i still managed solder it back. I had to build bridge to side of chip to make it work. Not really useful with bad data, but wanted to see if it could be done.

I have build theree programmer, but seems that i cant make any of them work(is it my TP600 LPT port or a'm i just doing something wrong).
I ordered programmer from England wich works with ponyprog so that should resolve that part.

For now i soldered cable(made from ide cable) on to motherboard to ease my testing. I bought ST24C01B1 chip and hope that it works, down side is that it's two times bigger than AT24C01A, but it could be soldered to mobo. If it dont fit there i must place it somewhere else with cable.

I still haven't found raw data bios image so if any of u have it please tell me.
Poju

http://www.cgsecurity.org/cmosbackup-1.1.zip

I found this from cgsecurity and now i'm wondering is this TP770_HUGO_HUGO file in that zip image i have looked.

Is there way to verify it?
Poju

Ehh this post was just odd and useless.

While waiting for programmer i'm looking that bios image.
Hope i get it soon, kids in house and parts lying around is not good thing....
Poju

How stupid human can be??? :oops:

I tought that i was after right chip, but all the time i have been soldering and unsoldering that freaking security chip, i tought that was same thing as bios chip :oops:

Anyway TP770 has same 28F004 bios chip as TP600 so maybe it helps Sharedoc to find dead mobo with that chip.

Programmer i ordered is useless coz it was cheapest at ebay and do not support 28F004 chip. This proves old saying right Stupidity costs :D

I'm still looking that bios image. Looks like it is cheaper to take chip and go to local electronics shop to get it flashed than get better programmer.

Hope that i can unsolder it in one peace.....
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Yes, I wrote in murobbs and still do so sometimes.

Have you considered possibility of upgrading the motherboard to 600E or 600X. Is the form factor the same?
Poju

Motherboard from 600 series don't fit i'm afraid, but i bought whole tp770 with broken screen, so my broblem is solved :D

Anyway when i get that machine i have extra mobo with 28F004 bios chip if u still need it.

If anyone has free mmc1 p2 prosessor i'm intrested
apple_rom
Use my patch at your own risk!!

>I'm still looking that bios image.
Hm - is a problem? Extract to diskette your bios-files. File with size=512kB is bios image.