Motherboard ruined??

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
Holzdolph
New visitors - please read the rules.

I really messed up the BIOS update of my new Laptop, and now I´m wondering if it´s possible to destroy the motherboard in the process ?
The thing is, I´m sure I flashed the wrong BIOS, not a wrong version, but it seems I used the BIOS.bin of a different Board....

I picked my model, downloaded the new BIOS, flashed it with an usb stick, and when it was done the Laptop just stopped working.
So i started my PC, took a look at the manufacturers page again, and came up with a different filename......

I have no clue how it happend, but it did.

So, did I kill my board with this, or just the BIOS chip ?

I bought the laptop like 6 weeks ago.... it would really suck if I shot my own board and dont even get a guarantee replacement since I f***ed it up :((
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

brand/model of the laptop?
brand/model of the bios file you used?

checked the manufacturers website support section for a recovery procedure description?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Holzdolph

The Laptop is an Asus G73HJ.

I don´t know which file I used. Because I copied the correct BIOS on the USB stick and removed the wrong one - but it´s still on the Laptops HDD (which I can´t access atm.)

I send the Laptop in tomorrow, I just wanted to know how much it´s going to cost me....or, if it´s possible at all to ruin the motherboard with a wrong BIOS ?

thanks for any answers
Holzdolph

I send the computer in today - I just want to know if it´s possible to do some real damage to the board with a wrong BIOS, and how likley that is.
Holzdolph

The manufacturer told me I have to send it in, there is no way to recover it on my own.

I just want to know if it´s possible I did some real damage, and how likely....
Holzdolph

I contatced customer support and they told me I should send the laptop in.

I just wondered how much damage I have caused.
Is it possible to ruin the motherboard in general, or how likely is it that only the BIOS is ruined but the rest of the system is fine ?

The Laptop is an Asus G73JH. I can´t tell which BIOS.bin i used at the moment, because when I found out I used the wrong one, I still thought that it´s possible to fix the problem, and therefore downloaded the correct one and deleted the wrong one from the USB-stick. (the file is still on the laptops harddrive, however)

Edit: Sorry for so many replies - I forgot this board is moderated and wondered why my answers didn´t show up :)
Last edited by Holzdolph on Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Th3_uN1Qu3
BIOS Rookie

Holzdolph wrote:I just wondered how much damage I have caused.
Is it possible to ruin the motherboard in general, or how likely is it that only the BIOS is ruined but the rest of the system is fine ?
It isn't possible to damage the motherboard as far as i know. When the right BIOS will be reinstalled the board will work fine.