No-name laptop, Phoenix BIOS, MB05T-MB05TMB VER 03 - 50-7085

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
gisning
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hey everyone, I have a no-name laptop that keeps overheating, I'm in need of a BIOS update.

I need the update as I am not able to enable Intel SpeedStep on the machine, I'm on Debian and the output from cat /proc/cpuinfo is blank where it says Power Management. This is with a Pentium M 755 2.0ghz CPU, which most certainly has SpeedStep enabled. Trying to load the speedstep_centrino module fails, as well as everything else I've tried for months now.
In Windows, I only tried XP, the outcome is the same, no cpu-throttling. As a result, the fan is always on and CPU temps are 65-60C when idle.

I have come to believe the problem is caused by a buggy BIOS that somehow fails to supply the OS with information on what kind of cpu-throttling is supported.

Here is everything I know about the machine:
Text on motherboard:
MB05T-MB05TMB VER 03

50-70851-02
10/03/2003

From debian hwinfo:
Phoenix Technologies LTD
rev: 0.4A-3181-0812
date: 06/21/2004

Montara System SV/CR Board
rev: A0

chipset: Intel 855GM Montara-GM
part number: 82855GM (GMCH)

CPU:
Intel ID: 0x6d6
Family 6
Model 13
Stepping 6

Any help in locating a BIOS update is greatly appreciated.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Advent 7040
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
gisning

Thank you very much, but I'm afraid there are no BIOS updates released from the manufacturer. I know it sounds stupid, but how impossible would it be to update using a BIOS from another manufacturer, as long as I'm using a PhoenixBIOS for my chipset?
gisning

By the way, my machine is NOT an Advent 7040, although is is quite possibly a related model. The 7040 comes with a Celeron-M 1.4GHz CPU, mine is a Pentium M 755 2GHz
gisning

My bad, the mainboard itself is an Advent 7040 - sorry
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

The only possible source of info would be Advent. Laptop "manufacturers" that are using OEM boards usually try and hide that fact as good as possible. Often a board is specially build for one or more "manufacturers" with the original factory not releasing a model themselves (Mitac is good at this). So, I'm sorry to say, if Advent never released an upgrade, that is it.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...