Notebook does not work properly after using external hdisk

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
syazici
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi All,
I have been using this ASUS notebook for couple of years. Two weeks ago, I bought a Seagate External USB harddrive. This hardrive was giving me some trouble like it was going inactive if you do not copy something from or to it. I tried to connect its additional power cord to my ASUS notebbok in order to be sure that this problem is not caused by lack of power problems.
Afterwards I started having problems. Suddenly and unexpectedly I start receiving the famous blue screen and 'irql_not_less_or_equal' error on the screen. I reinstalled Windows XP Home again and again. I used a HIREN BOOT CD and recovered MBR and nothing changed. Sometime after it started working properly and then later on I again start receiving these problems. From the BIOS I disabled the USB drivers, but the problem persisted.
In the HIREN BOOT CD, there are several programs which test your computer. PCDOCTOR is one of them and when I run USB test, I receive error messages and the program was turned off. Similarly for another program, I got errors. So this made me to think that this might be caused either a hardware USB problem or a BIOS one.
What is your recommendation?
Kind Reagrd
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Disabling USB in bios may not be a smart idea.

I suspect the external harddrive may be faulty or your older laptop does not support newer USB spec.