Hp notebook security, try to change the wireless card but .

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
astonmartin
New visitors - please read the rules.

hi all,

I have a centrino based notebook and i see here the intel wireless minipci card don't have driver
for osX.
I buy a broadcom minipci card with a bcm4306 but when i start the computer, it say me
error "104 ,Unsupported wireless network device detected. System halted. Remove device and restart "

My intel pro 2200 have id="PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4220&SUBSYS_12F6103C"
My broadcom 54G have id="PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4320&SUBSYS_12FA103C"

the notebook is a hp/compaq nx5000

I know there is a solution pirate2.gif for that , i know how to change the id in the bios with an hex editor
but i don't know how to fix the crc

a tutorial is here but i don't understand all

Thanks for help,
if you can make a custom bios for my nx5000 to accept the broadcom card.
please mp me

Don't buy HP and IBM notebook computer, they want to thief your money by sell to you an expensive genuine material
Exemple you pay 200$ for a genuine intel card
for a generic intel card (it's exactly the same ) you pay 30$
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

For such a new laptop is is not a good idea to go hack the bios and in the worst case end up with dead machine.

Better to buy the pricey card...
amp_man

It's actually rather simple to do. First, you'll need WinRAR (to extract the BIOS from the HP package), the latest BIOS from HP, WinHEX (google for it) and Phoenix BIOS Editor 2.0.18.0. For the latter program, I won't go into detail, but there are demo downloads and programs to enable BIOS writing functionality floating around the net, you'll need those (otherwise, you'll spend more on the program than you would on the HP card).

Now, once you've got all that installed, right click on the spXXXXX.exe, and click "Extract to spXXXXX". Pop open the new folder, and there will be a new file, repeat the same process. If there's only one *.wph file, don't bother with the next step. However, if there are multiple .wph's, you'll need to look for a .ini file, there will probably be multiple ones. From the info in there, you'll need to figure out which .wph file you need to edit. For me, one of mine says

Code: Select all

[1]
SB400BIOS=3091F26A.WPH
SB450BIOS=3091F26B.WPH
Now, I believe the BIOS says something about SB400 when mine first boots, but I used a linux program (lspci) to confirm this (for any linux users out there, Phoenix BIOS Editor does work with wine). Once you have that info (and I have no idea how to get it under windows, I suppose if worst came to worst you could edit both), open it with Phoenix BIOS Editor. Now, minimize it. Open WinHEX, and open c:\Program Files\Phoenix BIOS Editor\Temp\BIOSCOD1.ROM. Now use the "Search for HEX" feature, and search for your working PCI ID, but flip each pair of numbers, so your working PCI ID becomes "86 80 20 42". When you find it, replace it with the Broadcoms (E4 14 20 43). Do the same for the subsys (F6 12 3C 10 -> FA 12 3C 10). Save it, then pop the Phoenix BIOS editor back open. Make some small change (for instance, go into the Strings screen, double click one, then type a space and delete it again). Now, go File -> build BIOS. Save it as BIOS.WPH. Finally, in the same folder, there should be a program named WinPhlash.exe, run it to flash your new BIOS to the mobo!
jasonmantey

Does anyone know if some of the newer HP laptops are bios-hackable? I have a Compaq V3000z (same as HP dv2000z) and I cannot follow these directions (nor can I find any information online) -- I can open my bios via phoenix bios editor, but I cannot find my pci/dev strings in my .rom files.

Just curious if anyone knew. I would like to eventually get a real wireless card in my lappy to run some linux (the ndiswrapper is turning into a big pain for my broadcom 4311).

Thanks.

Jason
jasonmantey

I found my solution.

Using the newest phoenix bios editor (from phoenix.com) (version 2.2.0.1) I can open my .wph bios file (i used revision 13 from hp's website) without any errors. I bought my new mini pci express wireless card tonight and I will try this out soon!!!

I bought an atheros based gigabyte card (GN-WI01GT) and will be testing it this week !!!
Yapatna

Hey jasonmantey,

I have a compq v3000 and bought the (GN-WI01GT) after seeing your post and doing some research on that card. You never did post your results. If you can post what you found I would greatly appreciat it. I got all the software that you mentioned but can't seem to find the broadcom 4311 card information in the bios file as described. I also referencedwhat seems to be the original how to for this procedure by googling it. You can find it at THIS link. Please post if you were able to identify and edit the required hex values and succesfully flash your bios. Your response is greatly appreciated.
Yapatna

Just finished the Bios flash and it works. For the Compaq v3000 series or at least on mine the ".ROM" file that needs to be edited is the "MOD_5100.ROM" file. I edited it in WinHex, saved, did a minor string change, saved it, then reversed the change just to make sure that I didn't add any complications and built the bios file. Once built, I used a build of Ultimate Boot CD v 2.54 that I had and ran the "wflash.exe" NOT the "WinPhlash.exe" file. Rebooted. I then shut down the laptop and inserted my shiny new Gigabyte (GN-WI01GT) card and restarted and............what do you know .......No annoying 104 error crap from "Shady" oops sorry I meant HP. Now all I have to do is set up Kubuntu again with all my nifty stuff especially aiglx and beryl. On a side note, and this is a Linux question. I could never get my old BCM 4311 to work under ndiswrapper and Beryl. I had to always go into my default (non beryl session) to get wireless. Anyone heard of this happening? Well I hope I don't have that problem now that I'll be running a card with native Linux drivers. If anyone needs more details I'll try to check back at this site and fill in the mising info as best as I can. Thanks to all for their help.
sunnypv

Hi,
Can you list the procedure / Vendor , Device id you used or send the bios.
thanks
Yapatna wrote:Just finished the Bios flash and it works. For the Compaq v3000 series or at least on mine the ".ROM" file that needs to be edited is the "MOD_5100.ROM" file. I edited it in WinHex, saved, did a minor string change, saved it, then reversed the change just to make sure that I didn't add any complications and built the bios file. Once built, I used a build of Ultimate Boot CD v 2.54 that I had and ran the "wflash.exe" NOT the "WinPhlash.exe" file. Rebooted. I then shut down the laptop and inserted my shiny new Gigabyte (GN-WI01GT) card and restarted and............what do you know .......No annoying 104 error crap from "Shady" oops sorry I meant HP. Now all I have to do is set up Kubuntu again with all my nifty stuff especially aiglx and beryl. On a side note, and this is a Linux question. I could never get my old BCM 4311 to work under ndiswrapper and Beryl. I had to always go into my default (non beryl session) to get wireless. Anyone heard of this happening? Well I hope I don't have that problem now that I'll be running a card with native Linux drivers. If anyone needs more details I'll try to check back at this site and fill in the mising info as best as I can. Thanks to all for their help.
buzzan

This is the whitelist for my Compaq V3136TU laptop.
Tried modding the whitelist and compile with phoenix bios editor, but when comes to flashing with winflash it gives me checksum error.
jasonmantey

Hi everyone.

Sorry I never replied with my success. I remember I was posting to so many forums and looking everywhere and I must have forgotten. Anyways, here is the copy of an email I sent to richud.com to have him update his pages with the V3000 info. He never did apparently. Sorry.

====================================

Bios modification for a Compaq V3000z (equivalent to HP DV2000z) AMD Turion X2 laptop with Broadcom wireless. My broadcom card has a 4311 chipset.

I first needed to use an updated phoenix bios editor. The one that everyone seems to be using (v. 2.0.18E) has too many errors for me and it makes me uncomfortable, especially considering I have a new model laptop. Luckily, it appears that there is an updated version of the phoenix bios editor - and it is available directly from phoenix! http://www.phoenix.com/products/biosedit. The new version that I am now using is 2.2.0.1 and requires no hacking. Using this new version, I can open my bios (currently using v.13 from HP.com) with only one error: "DBCS (Traditional Chinese) strings are not editable". Because this is my only error, I felt confident to continue.

After a lot of searching, I found that my whitelist is located in a file called "MOD_5100.ROM". Older versions of the bios (v.7 for instance) contains a notably smaller whitelist than the one I am using. Modifications to both ( v.7 and v.13) bioses were successful.

My old card (Broadcom 4311 mini pci express) has the following properties:
VEN_14E4
DEV_4311
SUBSYS_1363103C

My New card (Gigabyte GN-WI01GT mini pci-e) has the following properties:
VEN_168C
DEV_001C
SUBSYS_E9131458

I opened up the HP bios and it looks like this:

I replaced my old card (first entry) with my new card information.

I saved the new .WPH file (i used 30B5FJ3.WPH -- replaced the '1' with a 'J' to keep consistant character lengths in case that matters for whatever reason). Dragged the new .WPH file into my WinPhlash.exe, rebooted, and my system is now working with a real wireless card.

~~~~

I also want to note the following:

After the first time I tried to modify the bios, I restarted the computer and ... NOTHING. I had a blank (black) screen and the BIOS screen would not show up. All LEDs were on, but nothing on the screen. After being quite worried. I googled around to find out how to reflash a bad bios flashing. Here is the solution:

You need a USB floppy drive, the GOOD (HP) BIOS file (.WPH), and a utility called Crisis Recovery. The file that can be found online is 268076.exe. This exe file formats a floppy disk with a generic BIOS.WPH. You must format the floppy disk, and then rename your bios file to BIOS.WPH and write over the one that currently exists on the floppy disk. Note that my bios was ~1MB whereas the formatted bios was ~512k.

Remove the battery and the power adapter from your laptop. Plug in the USB floppy drive (with disk). While holding BOTH - windows button and 'B' (it might be Fn+B for some supposedly) plug in the power adapter. While still holding the buttons, now push the power button. For my laptop there was VERY VERY LOUD beeping at this point, and the USB floppy LED comes on (signifying reading). Now you may release the buttons. After ~2 minutes, the beeping briefly stops, and the USB floppy LED light goes off. YOU MAY NOT PULL OUT THE POWER YET. Now it is still writing the bios (beeping continues). After another ~2 minutes, the beeping stops. Now you can pull the plug and put the battery in. I don't remember if the computer shut itself off or not. Your computer should be okay now.

====================================

Hope that helps everyone! I got a PM from someone who said that BiosEdit is not available from Phoenix's site I gave above any longer, just FYI.

Jason
buzzan

jasonmantey, you are my saviour. Finally get my Atheros card to work on V3000. Thanks

If anybody need version 2.2 of PBE, drop me a pm.
China4Ever

Please, could someone up somewhere Phoenix Bios Editor 2.2.0.1 ??? I can't find it or download it from phoenix site. Thanks !!!!
slingr

hey guys... i posted the fix for this. the trick is to use the DOS boot disk that HP provides and edit that rom file... the dos boot disc doesn't do a CRC check

http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/topic9388.html#45314
kalman_79

has anyone had success modifying the c500 series laptops to accept 3rd party wifi card,
opn6

I have a Compaq Presario V5205NR. I’m trying use a ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini Express Adapter with Atheros AR5006EX (As printed on card AR5BXB6) I and get the 104 error. I have been all over the net and came across the bios fix to the white list. Although I did not find someone who has done this on my lappy. I downloaded all the software and the bios update I needed to take a look. After uncompressing the Bios ver F.23 A and using a hex editor this is what I found.
My current adapter is Broadcom the id is PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4311&SUBSYS_1363103C&REV_01\4&38B5BDF7&0&00E2
I found in bioscod1.rom .
00004550 00 F0 B8 01 58 9A 8B 75 00 F0 B0 AE 9A E2 87 00 .ð¸.Xš‹u.𰮚â‡.
00004560 F0 66 61 CB E4 14 12 43 3C 10 60 13 E4 14 12 43 ðfaËä..C<.`.ä..C
00004570 3C 10 62 13 E4 14 12 43 3C 10 61 13 E4 14 11 43 <.b.ä..C<.a.ä..C
00004580 3C 10 63 13 E4 14 11 43 3C 10 65 13 E4 14 11 43 <.c.ä..C<.e.ä..C
00004590 3C 10 64 13 86 80 22 42 3C 10 5B 13 86 80 22 42 <.d.†€"B<.[.†€"B
000045A0 3C 10 5C 13 86 80 22 42 3C 10 5D 13 86 80 22 42 <.\.†€"B<.].†€"B
000045B0 3C 10 5E 13 86 80 22 42 3C 10 5F 13 86 80 22 42 <.^.†€"B<._.†€"B
As you can see in offset 4580 the id for my Broadcom card reversed. Seems odd to me that the ven,dev,and subsys wound be altogether like that . I have not found that to be the case in other posts I read.
After more searching online I found this.
http://www.modem-help.co.uk/Atheros/Unk ... esign.html
PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001C&SUBSYS_3063168C <<<maybe the id for my new Atheros card.
It wound seem that all I have to do is change the 3C 10 63 13 E4 14 11 43 to 8C 16 63 30 8C 16 1C 00. Then my new card will be in the white list. I’m not sure about that id. I would have to slap it in another pc to be sure.
If you can give me more insight on this or let me know if I’m on the right track. Drop me a line .
Thanks OP