HP Omnibook XE3L

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
dw
New visitors - please read the rules.

The GF 1.14 bios will *not* allow the flash of a non-GF notebook--I just tried it.

And fwiw, the GC (1.50) bios previous to 1.63 is no help in our quest; in fact it eliminates the SpeedStep option entirely from the bios' power tab, the SpeedStep applet will not load, and no SpeedStep tab in Settings | Control Panel | Power Options.
SurJector

I'm happy that you could not flash it. If you had managed, your notebook might very well have died (the different chipsets mean the BIOSes are probably mutually exclusive).

If you feel like it, I've read (in Intel's datasheet) that the pin concerned with speedstep is internally pulled high (meaning: high speed) and that the chipset pulls it low. This means that if you can identify it (I don't know where it is on the socket), you can cut it (but you loose speedstep ability). Alternatively (more difficult option) you can disassemble the whole bios, find where speedstep is enabled, and modify the BIOS so that it enables it for your proc. I've done something similar for my desktop, but it requires quite some time (unless you're expert in the field).
bobby

I have a HP Pavilion N5420 with bios "GC m1 63" I installed an 1ghz and it will only run at 700mhz. the bios does not show the processor speed not that i can see, and the screen has that info goes to quick to see when you boot up. there is no power tab in my bios but from what i hear it doesn't do much good anyway.
andarius

Not sure if anyone is still watching this thread, but this info may be of some help. I have an Omnibook XE3 GF model. I upgraded to an Intell PIII cpu a while back that has speed step features. The notebook would only run at 700 MHz reguardless of what I did. So the digging began.

Intel has a untility I used to identify the cpu to verify the specs, at which point I went throught their site for a tool to test the features. I do not recall the name of the app or where on their site I found it ( it has been more than 9 months ) but I found a tool from Intel to control speed step cpu's. I was able to get the thing running at full speed (1.13 GHz) and still use the utility to manage speed stepping under windows 2000 pro.
bachikho
BIOS Rookie

LordWiz wrote:Hello

I've recently upgraded my HP Omnibook XE3L with a Pentium-III mobile CPU.
When I boot bios recognizes this CPU as a Pentium-III mobile 900 MHz, but it seems to lack support for speedstep?
This makes it run only 700 MHz when checking with CPU-Z etc. no matter the load... I've also tried various programs for controlling speedstep.. all of them leaves it at 700 MHz.
i have the same problem after upgrading my nec versapro va60h from cel 600 to p3 700, bios newest according to esupport.com, can run only with speedstep disable, is there any way to enable speedstep (run at max speed)?
using a I440MX chipset!
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

change the processor driver in xp pro first to either plain processor or plain intel ,do not reselect intel p111,regardless it will still read as intel p111 in device manager even after you selected the other driver,albeit with the proper parameters supporting speedstep cpus(undocumented by hp,ibm,nec engineers or microsoft for that matter.
fixed everything with tp600x this way,also important you have acpi bios enabled and driver in xp enabled too beforehand.
goodluck.
d saint"
OmnibookXE3

Hi All

Can't see why some of you have trouble with the CPU upgrade to 1GHz only working at 700MHz

I have upgraded my XE3 GC with 1GHz CPU and XP Proff likes it (shows 996MHz under properties on My Computer)

If I pull out charger plug (so it's running on batt) and go back to My Computer, properties it steps down to 696MHz so (700MHz) it is supposed to do this. :D

It drops even lower with the battery as it runs out. 8)

The pain is that it won't run at 1GHz on the battery even if I go to bios and disable speedstep it sets it to 700MHz and not to the higher 1GHz

If anyone ells has the same thing and has a way of sorting please let me know.

Regards

J
dw

beatoem wrote:change the processor driver in xp pro first to either plain processor or plain intel ,do not reselect intel p111,regardless it will still read as intel p111 in device manager even after you selected the other driver,albeit with the proper parameters supporting speedstep cpus(undocumented by hp,ibm,nec engineers or microsoft for that matter.
fixed everything with tp600x this way,also important you have acpi bios enabled and driver in xp enabled too beforehand.
goodluck.
Not sure what you mean by "processor driver".
Are you talking about the chipset INF files; IOW, the memory controller (Device Manager | System Devices | Processor to AGP Controller AND Processor to PCI Bridge) and I/O controller (Device Manager | System Devices | PCI to ISA bridge)?

(I use Windows 2000 Pro)