Please help: HP Omnibook XE2 BIOS modification

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
dcmaniac
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have an XE2 DB with 440BX chipset and 366MHz PII, and I removed its built-in FDD (to decrease weight) and upgraded its HDD from 6.5G to 80G.

But I encountered two problems: :(

1. BIOS setup can neither change FDD setting nor auto-detect FDD removal, thus every POST prompts error and ask for "F1" to resume. I tried to disable FDD controller, but no use.

2. BIOS setup for HDD "head per clinder" is fixed to 15, resulting strange HDD geometry of 240 logical heads instead of 255 detected by other notebook/HDD-case. This will cause HDD partition table mismatch problem and data loss in systems other than this notebook.

After weeks of searching, it seems to me the only way to solve the problem is to modify the BIOS using "Phoenix BIOS Editor", enable the "read-only" items, and flash back to the notebook. :idea:

Now the progress is blocked, because after extracting the ROM file modules, BIOS Editor 2.0.18E always stopped at "analyzing BCPs...", Prompting:

Run-time error '9':
Subscript out of range

I've been searching Phoenix and other sites for many days, but can not find any related article on this error. :?

Can anyone please help me on this? Or any other way I can modify the BIOS settings?

HP Omnibook XE2 DB BIOS 2.00 file ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/ ... b2k200.exe, please use winimage to extract all.rom file from the disk image.
Borg Number One
Master Flasher

Hi.

Double posts are not recommend. ;)

Well, I replied to your post here:
http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/viewtopi ... 9004#39004
BIOS backup - Multi BIOS - prevent a BIOS update failure:
RD1 BIOS Savior

http://www.ioss.com.tw
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Did you try smaller hard disk 40 ... 60G?
dcmaniac
New visitors - please read the rules.

Sharedoc Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:22 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you try smaller hard disk 40 ... 60G?

Yes, I tried 20G and 40G. Both of them were recognized as different geometry than in other notebooks. :( :( In BIOS setup, the HDDs were "auto-detected" as 8.5G with "HEAD" setting to 15.