Replace lenovo bios with legacy bios

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
Nikos1974
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi. I have a lenovo r61 15.4 widescreen model with a lenovo 2.29-1.08 bios. My mainboard is lenovo 8919WB5, with intel chipset PM965 rev C0. I use windows vista 32 home basic 32bit OS. Intel mobile core 2 duo T8100 CPU.

I used to have a legacy bios but updated all my drivers from the lenovo support site automatically, and unfortunately had by bios replaced by lenovo efi bullcrap that is dysfunctional for a seasoned computer user. Lacks lots of tweaking which I want.

Question is what legacy bios do I need and how to flash it. What tools are needed, etc. Thanks a million if anyone can help me. The people at lenovo don't care to help much for some odd reason. I started two threads there and got zero help.

I read that phoenix firstbios notebook pro version 2 might be what I need?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

http://support.lenovo.com/nl/nl/downloads/ds002212
f you update to the BIOS version 2.07-1.08 or later, you are not able to get back to the older BIOS versions.
So you need to find one previous to that. The earliest in the EOL download section at Lenovo is 2.24
https://download.lenovo.com/eol/index.html

I so far cannot find anything from a reputable source.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Nikos1974

edwin wrote:http://support.lenovo.com/nl/nl/downloads/ds002212
f you update to the BIOS version 2.07-1.08 or later, you are not able to get back to the older BIOS versions.
So you need to find one previous to that. The earliest in the EOL download section at Lenovo is 2.24
https://download.lenovo.com/eol/index.html

I so far cannot find anything from a reputable source.
Any bios from lenovo would be efi, correct? I think they base it on phoenix and modifiy it. I am trying to find a full fledged legacy phoenix or award bios.......like the good ole days! :wink: I want maximum control over my laptop.

Is legacy bios completly discontinued? I cannot find anything. :?
Nikos1974

Does an OEM efi bios add a redundancy level to the bios, or does it write over the legacy bios thus replacing it? From some research I think it is the first case and that if you remove the windows boot manager, then system boots in legacy mode. Does anyone know anything about this?

With vista and lenovo r61 bios, there is NO CHOICE ANYWHERE to chose between efi and legacy mode. I keep searching for help, but keep landing on windows 8 all the time. Microsoft loves to pump out new systems every 2 to 4 years. XP seems ancient technology. I don't keep up with all the new advancements since I don't have a career in system building. Frustrating how they keep adding new security features and stuff most people don't want or need! :roll: :evil:
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

in this day and age with ransomware all over the place and every other posting going about yet another hacked system, most people DO want some security and certainly most average computer users DO NEED extra security. Would you let a 4 year old cross the street without any protection? That is what the average user is to these hackers... they bloody well need protection...

As for the implementation, yeah, I agree, it sucks.

As for your attempts to overclock an OEM machine, I would sell the thing and build your own system with a decent motherboard that does have overclocking options etc. The problem with your Lenovo is that it was never designed for that, the old bios was just there because they had it available and security was an afterthought (Lenovo, SuperFish anyone?).

So, maybe the people at esupport.com can help you out with a custom bios, but other than that, i would not know right now with the old bioses for this beast perfectly vanished from the web...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

Nikos1974

edwin wrote:in this day and age with ransomware all over the place and every other posting going about yet another hacked system, most people DO want some security and certainly most average computer users DO NEED extra security. Would you let a 4 year old cross the street without any protection? That is what the average user is to these hackers... they bloody well need protection...

As for the implementation, yeah, I agree, it sucks.

As for your attempts to overclock an OEM machine, I would sell the thing and build your own system with a decent motherboard that does have overclocking options etc. The problem with your Lenovo is that it was never designed for that, the old bios was just there because they had it available and security was an afterthought (Lenovo, SuperFish anyone?).

So, maybe the people at esupport.com can help you out with a custom bios, but other than that, i would not know right now with the old bioses for this beast perfectly vanished from the web...
I rarely get crap installed on my computer, for the simple reason I am careful what websites I visit and what I download. I do use anti-malware software and keep it up to date.

My issue is with vista that does not allow legacy mode anywhere. At least with windows 8 you can switch it off and on relatively easily from what I read. I am reading about editing the boot manager as a last resort solution because microsoft software is so unthoughtful.

I need legacy bios access to disable intel hyperthreading that I had mistakengly enabled before I installed lenovo efi "bios". Also some other settings may need adjusting. With efi I have zero access to advanced features to undue bad settings, just basic stuff. i am not interested in overclocking my cpu. But of course if I did not need a laptop for travel reasons, I would have built my own desktop system from scratch and installed windows xp. Sometimes simple is better.

Regards friend!
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

I guess the closest we can get is this:
https://support.lenovo.com/nl/nl/documents/ht081446
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

Nikos1974

edwin wrote:The problem with your Lenovo is that it was never designed for that, the old bios was just there because they had it available and security was an afterthought (Lenovo, SuperFish anyone?).
Pretty sure it was a legacy award bios, but I don't if windows vista software installed the bios or the bios was flashed by the motherboard manufacturer which is lenovo at the time of production. I am looking for the stock firmware but cannot find it anywhere. As you said, it has perfectly disappeared.
edwin wrote:So, maybe the people at esupport.com can help you out with a custom bios, but other than that, i would not know right now with the old bioses for this beast perfectly vanished from the web...
I contacted them about a week ago and told them my situation. Gave them all my computer specs that I got with CPU-Z, everest diagnostics, microsoft system information, various intel tools, etc. At the end they offered me a lenovo 2.27-1.08 efi bios, which is not even the correct version. I have 2.29-1.08 installed which is the correct version. I told them I want legacy and apparently nothing is available.

Short of the deep web or hacking the bios, I am not sure what else is possible. I also edited my boot manager with dualbootpro into legacy mode with zero effect. The bios itself is the problem.