SHARP Actius RD-20 Bios Issue and Windows SP2??? Help???

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
MAJ_Jimbo
New visitors - please read the rules.

Anyone!

I have a Sharp Actius RD-20 laptop computer that is running into problems when installing Windows SP2. Basically after install I get the blue screen of death after I log in that says to contact manufacturer for updated bios driver and such. After reviewing Microsoft article 885626, I'm finding that I need to update my bios because some Intel Pentium 4 and Intel Celeron D processors based on the Prescott C-0 stepping are running into problems with Windows SP2.

Anyhow, Sharp say's they tested it...and it was fun. I installed it twice and no dice...had to go through a back door to do a system restore and now it's fine...bottom line...I need a updated bios driver for this computer and was wondering if there are any good sites to look at for this computer. So far Sharp has had zero updates for this computer which is frustrating.

Let me know if there is a computer guru out there that can help and I'll give you the specs on the system. Thanks all!!!
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Please check whether it has some other model number printed on a sticker under the laptop, for instance. Something like PC9000A or similar.
MAJ_Jimbo

ajzchips wrote:Please check whether it has some other model number printed on a sticker under the laptop, for instance. Something like PC9000A or similar.
Thanks. I'll check...at work right now...but I do know it's a Sharp Actius RD20. Talked to Sharp this morning and they said they don't have a bios update and don't expect to do one. The Bios that shows up when booted is "Insyde Software MobilePro 4.00.01" Now when I go into the bios it show version 3.10. Either case, Sharp said to disable the processor in device manager and that may solve the problem. This is a problem with Intel Pentium 4 processors based on the Prescott C-0 stepping that don't support the production process.

I'll see if there is additional information and post it later tonight...thanks!

Jim
mattonline

Is there any news on how to update the BIOS so that SP2 will install?[/quote]