SONY BIOS BACKUP

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
jdt05
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello, everyone, first time poster. I've been reading the forums for a while (loads of help thank you). Decided to join so I could ask a couple of questions as I am now in a major jam.

I have a Sony laptop and I upgraded the BIOS on it. The BIOS changed the temperature threshold for the fan setting.

Sony no longer support the BIOS and it is not their download site. I've tried to contact them but they told me to shove it and I can't have it.

A friend of mine has the original BIOS still running on his machine.

The machines run a Phoenix bios. Is it a case of backing up the version off of his and flashing it to mine?

I think the size of the update is a 1027K file as I unpacked Sony's .exe update file and saw the .WPH file was 1027K
danyboy

I have same problem with PCG-6H2M laptop (VGN-S5M/S). Vaio Winplash report sucesuful update, please turn off, by-by turn on :x

I desoder the chip , put in the programmer and write with the .wph image, verify , solder , and same problem. I think that sony put the boot code to the other adress..

If someone know how to write corect he binary, please advice me..
jdt05

Is your problem with an official Sony update?
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Going back to original bios may be difficult if you don't get the original bios version in a form that the Sony's standard bios flasher requires.

Trying to flash with some other flasher is a big risk because it may produce a corrupted bios and then a dead laptop (as happened to danyboy).

I wonder how big is the problem with cooling fan temperature setting? Maybe it could be handled with either cheating the temperature sensor or by using a diode or a resistor in series with the fan to make it quieter?
jdt05

I'm going to use WinPhlash which is what Sony uses to flash the BIOS.

Sony releases a .EXE file. But this is really just an archive, you can look inside it and it says WinPhlash. You can extract the archive and run WinPhlash from their file.

I know somebody with the original BIOS on their machine and I have the utility that Sony uses to flash their systems, although the version I have is the full version that can BACKUP a BIOS.

Sony's version is modified so that it only flashes.

Thanks for your reply BTW, have been waiting for someone to say something constructive.
jakie

i know this is a really a old thread, but if you read this by any chance, would you please share the orignal bios. the fan is so anoying.

jdt05 wrote:I'm going to use WinPhlash which is what Sony uses to flash the BIOS.

Sony releases a .EXE file. But this is really just an archive, you can look inside it and it says WinPhlash. You can extract the archive and run WinPhlash from their file.

I know somebody with the original BIOS on their machine and I have the utility that Sony uses to flash their systems, although the version I have is the full version that can BACKUP a BIOS.

Sony's version is modified so that it only flashes.

Thanks for your reply BTW, have been waiting for someone to say something constructive.