Sony-Phoenix Bios

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
Dwight McClelland
New visitors - please read the rules.

I'm trying to update my bios so I can upgrade to Windows XP. I downloaded the bios update from the Sony website. When I try to run the upgrade I get a message that the update is for Windows 2000 pro and XP. I called Sony and they told me to flash my current bios with the latest revision. I created a boot disc and ran the bios update. When I restarted the cpu with the boot disc it runs until I get to the PhoenixPhlash Utility screen. I get an error message ( Open failed on BIOS ROM image file PRESS ANY KEY TO EXIT ) I called Sony back and since I'm out of warrenty they didn't help much. I would appreciate any feedback.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

Seems that their update is bad - maybe a typo in the autoexec.bat file or incorrect/missing BIOS file.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

What files are on the diskette ?
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
Dwight McClelland

Here are the files that are on the disc. ASPI2DOS, ASPI4DOS, ASPI8DOS, ASPI8U2, ASPICD, autoexec, BTCDROM, BTDOSM, CHECKSR, EBD, EBDUNDO, EXTRACT, FDISK, FINDRAMD, FIXIT, FLASPT, HIBINV, HIHEM, OADCDROM, plash6, platform, RAMDRIVE, README, SETRAMD.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Please use a clean bootdisk - only system file to boot and necessary flash progs and bios file !
Try DRDOS 7.x Bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Dwight McClelland wrote:Here are the files that are on the disc. ASPI2DOS, ASPI4DOS, ASPI8DOS, ASPI8U2, ASPICD, autoexec, BTCDROM, BTDOSM, CHECKSR, EBD, EBDUNDO, EXTRACT, FDISK, FINDRAMD, FIXIT, FLASPT, HIBINV, HIHEM, OADCDROM, plash6, platform, RAMDRIVE, README, SETRAMD.
I don't see a BIOS ROM file there. You have the phlash6.exe and the platform,bin, but there's got to be another BIOS file. For a Fujitsu laptop I have:
- a bootable disk with command.com, no autoexec.bat or config.sys (as Deniss said
- phlash.exe
- platform.bin
- v136.rom
- flash.bat containing
"phlash /b=platform.bin V136.rom /x"
This would explain why it said "Open failed on BIOS ROM image file "; you need to have a whatever.rom file on the disk to include in the command line.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
Dwight McClelland

DRDOS 7.x Bootdisk worked great. I was able to flash my bios with the origional bios and set the default settings. Now when I try to run the Sony Phoenix BIOS restore disk utility I get an SEVERE ERROR MESSAGE that says This update is only for Windows 2000 and XP. I am currently running Windows ME which came with the cpu. I downloaded the file from the upgrade page for my particular cpu for Windows XP. ????????????????
Dwight McClelland

I read the sony website better and the update I'm trying to use is for 2000 and XP The tech didn't catch it either. I will call and see if the update I just installed will work. Thanks for all the help. This was a most helpful site.