Sony Vaio PCG-FX 405 and new cpu

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
max1971
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello,

i have the notebook in subject and i would like to know if is possible to mob BIOS to install an Athlon XP-m cpu instead of an Athlon 4 1G. But the problem i that i find only 133 Mhz cpu, so, i'm interested to know if someone can help me to modify my laptop bios to unhide menus and activate 133 mhz fsb!

Thanks in advance.

Max
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Propably XP-m 2400 is much faster than Athlon4 1G even if you run it 100MHz fsb, because it has large L2 cache.

For 133MHz fsb:

First check if XP-m boots with the bios (recognizes/ignores the CPUID)

2nd you need check if the clock generator supports 133MHz fsb. Find out what clock gen you have on the Vaio and try SoftFSB programme to switch it to run 133MHz.

3rd you still can check if the clock gen can be modded by hardware, i.e. modding the frequency selection input pin pattern.
max1971
New visitors - please read the rules.

I don't have a XP-m cpu, yet. I'm waiting for bios modding for 133 Mhz fsb.

For 2nd and 3tr point: clock generator support frequencies till and over 150 Mhz, i have been tried with softfsb a time ago, but cause memory speed (100 Mhz cl2) and agp/pci divider it can't go over 115 mhz (agp will go over 80 Mhz) and pc hangup!!
Bios sets clock generator but it's blocked (by Sony) to 100 Mhz.

Thank you for your help

PS: Sorry for my english, i don't speek and write it very often :-)

Max
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

It is a hen-egg problem from where to start.

Propably it is wisest to borrow a XP-m processor and try if it boots ok with you current bios. Then try to change the fsb up with SoftFSB or similar tools to see how far XP-m and motherboard, memories go.

Not sure if it makes sense to go bios modding at all, because you can boot at 100MHz and raise the fsb after boot if you need top performance.