system speed and bios

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
irishwolfhound1
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi Guys, please excuse my ignorance as I am a newbie to any type of forums, (Yes I did read the rules)

Anyway, here's the story.
I am unfortunately the owner of a compaq presario 2500 notebook, This machine was reasonably ok when I bought it 2 years ago, however its performance has become noticably slower as time marches on.
Also only 1 of the 3 fans seem to function and the exhaust air is extremely hot, CPU temp is up around 60 degrees very quickly.
Another thing that I have just noticed is that my system clock seems to have lost 5 minutes.

I have reinstalled XP more times than I care to mention, I have installed minimal software, and making sure that the bare essentials become active after booting by editing the startup via msconfig.
I have reflashed the bios using both winflash and rompaq utils.
After reflashing the bios in whichever fashion the system will run moderately faster until the next boot up.
Will changing the motherboard battery help?

Compaq 2548AH
celeron 2600
768 MB RAM

P.S. I did read the forum regarding hp/compaq bios flash probs

any ideas would be greatly appreciated, Thanks guys
irishwolfhound1

Come on guys, does anyone have even the smallest bit of advice?
KachiWachi
The New Guy

"Also only 1 of the 3 fans seem to function and the exhaust air is extremely hot, CPU temp is up around 60 degrees very quickly."

Sounds like you need to open the thing up, clean out the dirt, and fix the fans.

Thanks.
irishwolfhound1

Thanks KachiWachi,
That was the first thing i did, minimal dirt in there.

How would I go about fixing the fans?

Cheers
KachiWachi
The New Guy

First you gotta find out if they are still functional (burned out), or if they are just dirty (gummed up).
lamo

irishwolfhound1

don't worry :) this is normal for that CPU :)
it'll be worse, if the air blow is COLD. you have the slow chipset in your book and the slow CPU, so there's nothing impressive, that the overall performance is slow.
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

check bios settings for hdd are set to udma also in device manager check,set all irq allocations to auto or bios defaults if no auto seetings,
disable system restore completely (only good for harbouring viruses+parasites,besides reinstall over is allways faster,if you know how to get to the ol files),set power managment in bios or windows to desktop or always on for max cpu performance
defragg the drive regularly,celerons should perform ok if the pc allows them to,unless the cpu is on the verge of death. 8O
d saint"