Thinkpad 570 overclocking

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
lechuck23
New visitors - please read the rules.

hallo

i own a thinkpad 570, PII 366MHz, 192mb of ram. I know that a overclock from 300 to 450Mhz is possible. But would my cpu run at 550Mhz by applying the 100MHz fsb mod? Is it possible to do the 8MHz fsb mod on 570?

thanks
lechuck23

edit:

i installed powertweak II. with this i was able to change the pentium 2 l2 cache latency from 5 to 1, and i could also enable agp 2x for the neo magic 256av! but i am still interested in overclocking the 570. raising the fsb to 74mhz would be enough.
is it possible? do the 600 and 570 have the same system boards?

i heard that direct3d can be enabled by installing directx 8 beta. i installed dx 9.0c already, is there another way to enable d3d?

thanks in advance
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Aa far as I remember the 66->100MHz mod has been decribed in the 600E thread somewhere. Basically it needs to find one pin in the clock generator and lift a pin and tie it 3.3V or GND with a resistor.

You have to check that the clock gen is the same as in 600E.

As far as I remeber, one guy got his 600E toasted with this mod, though...
jstacey

You probably don't have your Thinkpad 570's anymore but, I figure I'll try my luck anyways .. I have recently found both a Thinkpad 570 and a 570e and thought it might be fun to try and modify them some. It might be more fun with a thinkpad 600e since it has a removeable processor but it doesn't have the ultrabase like the 570 series which you can buy an ultrabay 2000 sata caddy for and put some serious storage on. Maybe even SSD if your crazy enough.

There was some mention of the Thinkpad 600 mod with the IMI clock chip by soldering a 1k resistor between the pin25 FSB2 pin to pin 50 you can push the speed which I think is the VCC pin. I've downloaded the specs sheet for the IMI chip on my 570 and noticed it's completely different, it's a twenty pin chip for starters and your supposed to use a two pole loop on pin 7 to play with the multiplier / FSB so I'm very confused... the chip can do 120mhz but how to do it is beyond my comprehension. I'll have to disable the 66mhz on board ram for sure if I get it but thats okay because one PC100 256MB low density (16 x 16) module works fine underneath.

Is there anyone out there that has some experience with IMI clock generator chips ? or playing with ten year old Thinkpads for that matter??
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

What exact model number is that, where did you find the datasheet? Even though I've not played with this series, I do have some basic electronics knowledge still and may be of help...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...