is this a dead one?

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
usm76
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi.
Been having some problems with a laptop firstly it was giving me an cmos error message and i changed the battery (tried starting without it and it recognised that it was missing). So now the battery is changed and i get a normal start exept it says "press f2 to enter system configuration" or something like that, the problem is that nothing happens when i press f2 it just stays still with an annoying blinking line :lol: it's mocking me hehe.

Well any ideas to what could be the problem here...it's realy driving me nuts been working on finding a sollution for a long time now.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

make and model?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
usm76

Amitech freenote 4705 - insyde software mobilepro bios version 4.00.01

System bios R1.06

That help?

BTW. i also tried booting without HD and ram stick : with no ram sticks at all = nothing laptop start dvd starts spinning but nothing on screen. With one stick inserted i get the same error with or without HD (that is "press f2...."
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

checked all connection in particular the keyboard cabling? I suspect in order to get to the cmos battery you had to wiggle about near the keyboard connector?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

usm76

Aha...i will check that thank you
usm76

ok i checked the connector from the keyboard to the base of the laptop (some thin flat wire) it goes down into a connector i removed it and put it back again but no difference.

I'm beginning to wonder if something in this thin wire is broken, maybe i can use a ps/2 keyboard to check if that works (can i use an external keyboard to enter bios settings you think?)
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

that would be the next step indeed.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

usm76

i will to to get hold of an old ps/2 keyboard then (using a wireless keyboard on this one) i'll try it and post my results thanx.
usm76

ok tried it...but no luck i also tried this trick with the internal keyboard disconnected but the same problem stands: it doesn't recognice me pressing the f2 button for some strange reason. The Amitech support said that i should try to disconnect the dvd drive - tried it and guess what? nothing :cry:
usm76

An uppdate: A "strange" thing just occured i tried to reseat the cmos battery again and when i started the laptop i got an "Warning CMOS error please run syset" but nothing happened with f2 again so i restarted and no warning this time but i'm still "locked out".

Another thing woth mentioning is before all this i removed the cmos battery and left it out for about a week (forgot to test laptop) and when i seated it it went pased this f2 thingy but stopped later on (probably because if i recall correctly windows has crashed on the HD), the f2 problem occured after i restarted the laptop after that time.

Don't know if this shines any light on the problem but i thought it was woth mentioning.

BTW. just talked to the Amitech support again and he said that it was prob. the motherboard gone bad and i should buy a new one from them, now nothing bad against Amitech but i really don't trust someone just telling me to buy a new one when they work at the company selling them :lol: . And in my experience (with other computers, not laptops that is) you get a series of beeping noices telling you something is wrong.