Toshiba Satellite 1110 - *DEAD*

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
grenjs
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello,

I flashed the BIOS on the above system using the BIOS update from the Toshiba site - for what I thought was a good reason. It appeared to have worked - that is until the system power-cycled, now the laptop is almost dead.

When I press the power on button, the Power-On light comes on for 4-5 seconds and then goes out. There is no activity what so ever other than this.

I have searched the net for the past 12 hours to see if there is a key sequence whereby I can force an upgrade (using an alternative and hopefully correct code), but no luck yet. I assume the BIOS does have this feature.

The BIOS is a Phoenix BIOS 4.0 Release 6 and should have BKT20 BIOS Version v.1.10 code in it.

Can anyone please here help me recover this laptop from this disasterous situation?
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Either contact Toshiba, or check whether the BIOS chip is socketed (so you can have it programmed elsewhere with a BIOS image).
grenjs
New visitors - please read the rules.

Yes, I had decided I would call the local Toshiba Service Centre first thing in the morning, however I found a page detailing how to dismantle a Toshiba very similar to mine.

Luckily, I have now swapped the motherboard for another identical one (extreme luck I had a spare at hand).

I also read somewhere else that another person had exactly the same problem I had with their 1110-zx. They were told by the Toshiba Service Centre that the board had to be replaced and a new one (to be ordered from Japan) would cost $400. They were asking if this was true. I can now confirm what the Toshiba Service Centre told him was absolutely true.

For future reference to anyone who has one of these systems (Toshiba Satellite 1110-Zx), the BIOS is not socketed but soldered surface mounted, so once it been flashed wrongly, it's a new motherboard for the PC or if you can't afford that, for the PC to be used as a paper wieght.

That is not to say of course that there aren't those out there with the technology to replace the soldered surface mounted BIOS chips....

Thank for your comment anyway Ajzchips.