Toshiba Satellite A40 (Bios Corrupt, Need to Flash, Help!)

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
superstars
New visitors - please read the rules.

I've made my own report with the beginning and the recent effects of this whole issue as to why this lap top is having problems. This is just a recap of many hours of work, reading, and calling Toshiba. Please read the following short summary.

Laptop Info: Toshiba Satellite A40 System Unit Model No. PSA40C-09CXV

Prognosis:

- Using the computer as normal for several hours
- Clicked on link to a foreign website (which was later pronounced to be prone to virus’, malware, grayware, etc.)
- The user was unaware that this website was an illegal site where security threats flow constantly. This site was visited due to someone internet messaging the user with a url link.
- The computer shut off on it’s own while visiting the site

Symptoms:

- Upon restart the computer goes to a prompt screen asking you to choose to boot from one of the following: Safe Mode, Safe Mode w/Networking, Safe Mode w/Command Prompt, Last Known Good Configuration, or Normal Windows Start Up.
- No matter what option is selected the pc continues to reboot to the same screen
- The bios (hold “esc” at Toshiba startup) will not allow you to move the arrow keys towards the “boot priority” selection. This is essential in order to boot the windows xp cd rom for a fresh installation of windows.
- The only areas you can select in the bios are the “time/date” and “password” sections. There is no password on the bios at all so not being able to head towards the boot priority is a major issue.

Diagnosis:

- The bios may be corrupt and might need to be flashed/updated in order to set the boot priority to allow a windows disc the capability to run and install
- This computer may have been known to have a bios corruption. This would leave the user in a bad situation when trying to reinstall windows due to a security breech.
- There may be a hardware failure/crash involving the motherboard or hard drive. This could be due to a power surge, neglect, damage, water spill, etc.
- There may be an issue with the keyboard involving the bios options or the keyboard itself may need to be repaired.
- The bios may be infected with a virus or it is corrupt in itself.
- A hardware crash is a possibility
- The master boot record (mbr) may be seriously infected

Notes:
- According to Toshiba Canada the key used to enter the bios is “esc”. The keys that are meant to be used to automatically enter the “boot priority” screen itself are either “F12” (tapping at start up). Holding down the “c” key at start up is meant to let the cd drive run instead of any other boot device. (note: none of these work at the moment other than “esc”)
- In order to install windows correctly on this lap top with all the tools needed to run the accessories and utilities in the lap top you would need to have the “Recovery Disc” made for this exact model. The user does not have this disc in possession. Installing windows xp itself would not reinstall all of the utilities therefore the exact “Recovery Disc” used for this pc would need to be ordered.
- You would not need the recovery cd if windows xp is installed and all the drivers are downloaded.

Authorized Toshiba Contact/Repair Centers:

Gartech Integrated Busniess Solutions
1140 Sheppard Ave West Unit 2
416-630-9555

Computer Sysytems Center
275 College St.
416-927-7733

Phone:
Toshiba Canada Customer Phone Support:
1-800-663-0378

Toshiba Cd Recovery Orders Can Be Made At This Number:
1-866-413-0222

-------------------------------------------------------------------

That is my summary report of what is going on and what may be done. I have come to the realization that we have only two options left here. These are the final two options that I spent all night, all night, all lonesome drinking coffee night, thinking of...

1. I took the hard drive out of the pc out of curiousity and put in a win xp disc. The disc did boot up and windows was ready to install, but it couldn't because there was no hard drive. So what I can do is flash the bios with the same version using a disc. Though I do not know if you can flash a bios with the same version. On top of that I need to know exactly how to put the bios on a cd. I know where the bios is, it's right here at this link from toshiba canada: (This is canadian made so you cannot get this from the usa site only the canadian. If you ever look for stuff to help me with this lap top only look on www.toshiba.ca)

Here is the link:
http://209.167.114.38/support/download/ ... sa40en.htm

The current bios on this system is version 1.50. I figure if someone can help tell me how to get the bios burnt on a cd, than I can just take out the hard drive from the lap top, flash the bios, put the hard drive back on when the bios is done being flashed, than be finally able to choose the boot priority and get windows xp to install. It's so easy I just need someone to help me put this bios on a disc please. I need step by step instructions as to how I would burn it, and how to flash it. So you would actually have to download it yourself too if your helping me, and burn it to cdrw if you want just so you can be 100% sure that we will be successful doing this. I think that would fix the bios if it is corrupt or infected. Once the bios is fixed I can go from there and fix everything else on my own. (ie: install windows, download drivers, etc.)

2. The second thing I thought of was taking the hard drive out, placing it in another lap top, installing windows on it, and putting it back into this problematic lap top. Although I'm not sure if this would work as windows may install itself with the intention of being suited for the other lap top, and once being place in the problematic one it may not run because it was set up for the other one. That is what I think would happen. Best case scenario it would work. The thing is I only know one person with a lap top and if they don't let me borrow it to do this than this option is a no show. Not to mention I dunno if they use some sort of different hard drive. I say this because I know real big standalone pcs use ide, and sata. So I am not familiar with lap top hard drives.

OKAY NOW WHO'S WILLING TO HELP ME? I THINK OPTION ONE IS BETTER NO? PLEASE LET ME KNOW I WANT TO DO THIS RIGHT NOW. THE USER IS WILLING TO FLASH THE BIOS AS WELL. TOSHIBA SAID TO AVOID A POWER FAILURE, OR OUTAGE WHEN DOING THE BIOS FLASH, AND THAT AS LONG AS THE AC CORD IS IN THE COMPUTER (AND PROBABLY THE BATTERY AS WELL), THAN THE BIOS SHOULD FLASH SUCCESSFULLY. WELL I JUST NEED SOMEONE TO DOWNLOAD THE BIOS OFF OF THE LINK ABOVE, TAKE A LOOK AT IT, TELL ME HOW TO BURN IT, AND WE'RE READY TO GO. BUT YOU HAVE TO BE 100% SURE THIS WILL WORK ON CD. IF ANY OF YOU THINK OPTION 2 IS WORTH A TRY LET ME KNOW.

THANK YOU

I AM PULLING OUT MY HAIR PLEASE HELP I HAVE HYPERTENSION AND MY BLOOD PRESSURE ISN'T SUPPOSED TO BE HIGH. BUT I JUST HATE COMPUTER PROBLEMS, I KNOW I AM SMARTER THAN A COMPUTER BECAUSE THEY'RE MAN MADE SO IT'S LIKE A PUZZLE TO ME. I WON'T STOP UNTIL IT'S FIXED.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Hi, sorry but we are all volunteers here and don't watch the board around the clock.

Option 1 sounds reasonable.

I'm just trying right now to create a bootable CD following the instructions in this article, as I've not done it before.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Well, it seems to be simple if you have Nero.
1. Download A40.exe and use it to create a floppy that has the flash files.
2. Create a bootable floppy that has no memory drivers, ramdrives, etc but does have the CD driver and the flash files. I used boot98sc.exe from www.bootdisk.com and butchered it to contain only:

Code: Select all

COMMAND.COM
CD1.SYS
CONFIG.SYS
AUTOEXEC.BAT
MSCDEX.EXE
EC62NOBB.BIN
flash.bat
BIO000CT.COM
chgbiosa.exe
CHGFIRMA.EXE
where flash.bat is the autoexec.bat from the flash files disk, renamed. Of course, there are the system/hidden files that make it bootable as well.
Autoexec.bat contains:
MSCDEX.EXE /D:IDECD001 /L:R
Config.sys contains:

Code: Select all

FILES=30
BUFFERS=20
DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:IDECD001
LASTDRIVE=Z
2. Use Nero to make a bootable CD from the disk.
3. Boot the CD and type Flash at the command prompt.
As I don't have this model of laptop, I can't actually test this to prove that it will work from a read-only medium. Some flash programs want a scratchpad area.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
superstars
New visitors - please read the rules.

Would you be willing to send me the iso image of this flash boot cd you've made?

I'd really appreciate it. I have no floppy drive and neither does he so we cannot make it.

Thank You,

P.s.
I will private message you immediately with my e-mail address if you agree.