Acer Aspire L3600

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
tomasvilda
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello,

I have tried to upgrade BIOS, but now it's not booting.. then one company tried reflash the same bios I have tried to put, the same.. And I don't have original bios version. Maybe some one could help?

Regards,
Tomas Vilda
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Where did you get the bios from, what method did you use to flash, is there still any warranty left?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
ingrambr

I too tried to update the bios on my L3600 and have ended up with a broken box. I obtained the new bios R01-B0 from the Acer website: http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/de ... l3600.html. Now when I turn the computer on there is a long beep followed by a short beep and nothing happens. The bios seemed to perform well, it wasn't until I rebooted that problems arose :-(

I e-mailed acer and they said "This would be classed as a chargeable repair, as flashing the bios is at your own risk." so the machine being in warranty or not doesn't seem to matter.

I opened up the machine. There are 3 pins, with a jumper on the connection of the 2nd and 3rd pins. It is marked CMOS1. In the past I've had machines with motherboards where a bios flash can be fixed with a jumper setting. Anybody got any ideas how I can fix this? I've already heard that the bios can be updated by inserting a CD with the Bios file on it.

Any information would be gratefully accepted!
groucho

Not really a response, but another question!

I need to open up my L3600to install a memory upgrade. Was it difficult opening up the case? What's the procedure?

Looks like I have to break my warranty seal to open the case...
ingrambr

Dead easy. Okay, so you need to break the warranty seal. I peeled mine off quite easily and replaced it without it looking obvious. There is one screw below the warranty seal. Undo that, and the lid will slide off. Then there is a screw in the middle towards the back of the box (if it's laid down flat). Remove that screw then grab the handle and gentle lift. Below the disk drive/cd drive chassis is a place for the memory.
groucho

thanks for the quick response!

hassle not having any user guide from Acer for this machine...
ingrambr

Sorted my problem now. It seems like it was a bad flash. I replaced the bios chip with one programmed from www.bios-repair.co.uk . The bios chip is under the CD drive, front right of the machine and can be easily removed. The bios repair service was cheap, fast and it worked perfectly after that.
Mastro Geppetto

ingrambr wrote:Sorted my problem now. It seems like it was a bad flash. I replaced the bios chip with one programmed from www.bios-repair.co.uk . The bios chip is under the CD drive, front right of the machine and can be easily removed. The bios repair service was cheap, fast and it worked perfectly after that.
Hi to you all mates.
Can some one help me ? I need this version of bios R01-A0. When I flashed the R01-B0 my L3600 died.
Thanks in advacne.
ingrambr

How are you going to flash the R01-A0 if someone sends you it if your L3600 is dead? My computer died when I flashed the R01-B0 too. I had to get a company to flash a chip with the bios from the website. It works fine now with R01-B0... (and flashing from DOS rather than Windows seems to work) except that I think I shafted my soundcard somewhere along the way because I only get SPDIF output, nothing from the other analogue ports. In the bios it now says that my computer is a Veriton L460. If anyone has any ideas how to fix this then let me know.

Acer support are useless.
asus 1 acer 0

Bad flash for me too on an acer aspire l3600. I think it is really poor that acer don't include any instructions for flashing the BIOS despite allowing it to be downloaded. It is also made more difficult because there is a zip file within a zip file! Acer support are useless and have a terrible attitude. The lessons i have learned:

Extract all files, including the zip file within the zip and do not flash from Windows. (burn the extracted files to a CD (Bootable) and reboot)

If the flash fails don't give Acer support the satisfaction of telling you that your board is dead and needs replacing and how its not covered under the warranty because you shouldn't have flashed it in the first place. Try the bios repair option in previous posts.

Buy a board with more features and with better support, there is very little you can do within the bios settings pn the L3600, no fan speed control for those ridiculously noisy fans!! Perhaps i have been spoiled with Asus mobs. I will never choose Acer again
asus 1 acer 0

Bad news, received my bios chip back, installed but still a black screen. Different beep code though, two short beeps?

Can anyone help please?
asus 1 acer 0

Working Now!. Cleared the CMOS and this seemed to do the trick. I definately recommend www.bios-repair.co.uk, very helpful and a very quick response time.
aewen007

I've opened my L3600 I've lifted the CD moved the Bios Battery But How do I remove the chip. It seems pinned to the board. No obvious clamps.
Thanks
Infected24

Oh crap, if i just had read this before trying to flash the bios using windows... :cry:

Now i have a bricked machine: it turns on but no video, just two beeps (one long- one short) I used to have R01-A0 bios version and tried to update to R01-B0. i am going to try the bios-repair.co.uk method. I hope i can get Analog Audio work, its vital for me.

Cross finger to get it work back again. :(
ld.rireal

ingrambr wrote:Sorted my problem now. It seems like it was a bad flash. I replaced the bios chip with one programmed from a bios-repair store. The bios chip is under the CD drive, front right of the machine and can be easily removed. The bios repair service was cheap, fast and it worked perfectly after that.

How do you remove the chip?. It seems pinned to the board. No obvious clamps.
Thanks in advance.