AMIBIOS - M575 - Need Latest BIOS Flash

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
Gamzarme
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi, I'm wondering what the latest BIOS flash for my M575 mainboard is. I've found a few sources and it seems the latest BIOS update was on the second of April, 1999 (4/2/99). Is this correct?

If it is, how do I flash the new BIOS? With the updated .rom? I downloaded "990402S.ROM", which I believe is the newest version.

I realize this question probably should have been asked at latest around three or four years ago but I'm very dedicated to keeping this little computer around, working in the best condition it is able to. =)

-Patrick
cp
BIOS Guru

for flashing get uniflash.
Gamzarme

Would these instructions work? I'm not sure how to flash my BIOS as I have not very much installed on the machine. Just Ubuntu Linux server edition 5.10.

Code: Select all

Quick Flash Instructions For AMI Motherboards:
(FLASH UTILITY NOT REQUIRED)

- Unzip file, copy the "ROM" file to a diskette in "A" drive.            
               (Diskette does not have to be bootable).

- Make sure you are using the on board floppy controller.

- With system powered off and diskette with "ROM" file in "A" drive.

- Hold down on the "CTRL & HOME" keys and then power on system.

- There will be no video and notice floppy drive being accessed.

- You should hear 1 beep let go of keys.

- Then you will hear 2 beeps and then 3 beeps.

- System should reset and notice new BIOS release date at top of screen.

- Enter BIOS SETUP run the OPTIMAL SETINGS OPTION.

- Change BIOS SETTINGS for your configuration.

"WARNING"
If you are using the "password" option in the BIOS, you must DISABLE the
Password BEFORE you flashes the BIOS. This BIOS uses a new core and saves the 
Password at a different location.

If you flash the BIOS without disabling the password, you may not be able
To get into the setup. If this happens, you must drain the CMOS first.

**November 9, 2000**
This is the contents of a Quick Help file I found online (though I remember not where), AMI Flash, most likely.

Anyway, that method does not seem to work and I don't know how to flash using UniFlash without Windows or DOS.

By the way, I got your private message. Thanks for that personally updated BIOS flashware, I'm sure there are good changes as well as enabling the busmaster ide option. Thank you. =)

Can you please provide a bit more information on how to flash next?

-Patrick
cp
BIOS Guru

get a bootdisk from http://www.bootdisk.com (there's a driver free disk for flashing). copy uniflash and the bios to the disk and boot it on your machine. start uniflash. it will provide a nice user interface :) save a copy of your current bios to the disk. then flash the new bios. done.

since you're using a linux derivate most of the hardware registers should be fixed by the kernel anyway..just take a look at the ide timings. they should be at /proc/ide/ali or somewhere else (forgot where *duhh*). it depends on what kernel you're using. anyway, it should look something like this: http://www.wedogs.org/ali.txt
a good tools is hdparm to check the throughput and adjust some parameters if required.
Gamzarme

CP, I'd like to give my thanks for your wonderful help, without your information I couldn't have done it. =)

If anyone ever comes back to this post again looking for help, here are a few things I'd like to add:
  • - First, the steps to my process:
    • - Download the book disk installer.
      - Download the UniFlash zip file (this will also work if the source is down, which as of this post, it is).
      - Download the updated and patched ROM file modified by CP -- M575-990402S.ROM (you will need to rename this file to 990402S.ROM as it seems UniFlash does not like long file names or those which include a hyphen).
      - Launch the boot disk installer executable to create a boot disk, which will initially have no files on it.
      - Copy over the contents of the UniFlash zip file to the book disk.
      - Copy over the updated and patched ROM file.
      - Put into computer that needs the updated BIOS and launch uniflash.exe at the A: prompt that comes up.
      - Follow the on-screen instructions making sure to backup your old ROM file first.
      - Reboot and enjoy your newly updated BIOS..trust me, my upgrade was totally worth it. =)
    - Here is the text file that was referred to, stored at the Internet Archive as the previous link was dead. I'm not exactly sure what to do with it yet but I will learn. Perhaps load the file found at "/proc/ide/ali" (maybe..) and edit it with VI to look something like what is found in the .txt.
Hopefully this will help in the future, as it certain did help me.

-Patrick
cp
BIOS Guru

- Here is the text file that was referred to, stored at the Internet Archive as the previous link was dead. I'm not exactly sure what to do with it yet but I will learn. Perhaps load the file found at "/proc/ide/ali" (maybe..) and edit it with VI to look something like what is found in the .txt.
aehm...no. don't copy it anywhere. this is just an old information file which the ALi ide linux kernel driver puts out. as of kernel 2.6.16 this feature has been removed for serveral reasons.. you can some (most) information about your drives at /sys/ now (if you're using kernel 2.6.16 and later) or just use hdparm -iI /dev/nameyourdrivehere :)