Anyone ever load XP on Gateway P55C-200? arcdisp.c error/BSD

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
d_b
BIOS Newbie

I cannot load XP on Gateway P55C-200 system with 128 MB RAM; Lawman or G-man MB. I've flashed it with the last available BIOS.

I get the error message:

An unexpected error (0) occured at line 1768 in d:\xpsp1\base\boot\setup\arcdisp.c

Also, trying to boot a pre-installed XP hard drive gives errors on start-up.

Research suggests that most arcdisp victims resort to replacing the memory (4-clock vs. 2-clock), others play with the hard drives.

1) Tried several memory sticks, no remedy.
2) Swapped CD ROM, no remedy.
3) Ran an exotic RAM test (MEM-Test 86 v3.2) for 10 hours, no faults.
4) Swapped hard drives, no remedy.
5) Reflashed BIOS to the latest posted by Gateway, no remedy.
6) Changed MHz to 133, 166, 200, 233, no remedy.

Perhaps I'll try swapping Pentium processors next, and try new drive cables.

db

BIOS CAPABILITIES TEST REPORT
===============================

Generated by: BIOS Wizard 2.10
Date: February 16, 2005
Time: 17:00

PnP Version : BIOS currently supports latest version 1.0
PCI Version : BIOS currently supports latest version 2.1
PCI IRQ Routing Table : BIOS currently supports this feature
Enhanced Disk Drive Specification : BIOS currently supports this feature
DMI Version : Current version is 2.0. The minimum DMI version is 2.1
ACPI Version : BIOS currently supports latest version 1.0
APM Version : BIOS currently supports latest version 1.2
Booting From CD-ROM : BIOS currently supports this feature
Supports ESCD : BIOS currently supports this feature
Can be Updated (flashed) : BIOS currently supports this feature
Can be Shadowed : BIOS currently supports this feature
BIOS Chip in Socket : BIOS doesn't support this feature
Supports Selective Booting : BIOS currently supports this feature
Supports LS-120 Booting : The testing of this feature is not supported by the current DMI version
Supports ZIP Booting : The testing of this feature is not supported by the current DMI version
Supports Network Booting : The testing of this feature is not supported by the current DMI version
BIOS Manufacturer : American Megatrends licensed to Intel
BIOS ID : 51-00-00648200-00101111-071595-I430TX
BIOS Date : 07/15/95
BIOS OEM Signon :
BIOS ROM Size : 256K
Chipset : Intel Triton 430TX rev 1
Super I/O Chip : SMC 67x rev 1 found at port 3F0h
Last edited by d_b on Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

You probaly are experiencing a different problem, but when you boot to the setup CD make sure you are COLD BOOTING to the setup CD.
d_b
BIOS Newbie

Yes, agreed. Not the problem. This one may still possibly be a memory problem, or the CPU is faulty. Gateway published specs for a 4-clock SDRAM/EDO.

Note: I have still not tried a different processor.

Also, I am not sure if the current memory modules are 4-clock or 2-clock SDRAM/EDO that I have been swapping around. I don't recall anything about XP that would take advantage of it, or why 98 runs and XP doesn't even load ... unless there's an XP CPU instruction-set change that does require it somwhow.

Now we are getting into splitting hairs...

However, it's interesting to note that 98 runs OK, and extensive memory testing for 10 hours avails zero errors.

I'm really curious if ANYONE has ever tried to load XP on a Gateway Lawman/G-man 200/233 MHz motherboard. Most folks are afraid to try becasue of the published specs for XP, but it runs OK on a Pentium system with modern/faster drives and 128MB RAM (256MB better), though slower than 98/95.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I am really only guessing based on semi-comparable experiences I have had, but:

1) I suspect your board may have a fault or incompatibility with XP, but first try 2, 3 and 4.
2) Maybe a dodgy hard disk.
3) If the board takes DIMM RAM, try PC66 memory modules. If no success, try72 pin RAM.
4) Try another CPU.

Those are the likely components I would suspect, and the order I suggest testing them in. Note I am not saying test the board first - I just suspect the board first but suggest trying other hardware first as they are easier to change.

Possibly a video card problem also. Try removing all cards temporarily to see if they are doing anything.

Hope I have helped. Be interested to hear results. Good luck.
d_b
BIOS Newbie

Yeah, all good ideas there...

1) It's curious that the memory tests perfectly for 10 hrs. ... mystery there. Perhaps the BIOS has a support issue. It's old and the last version released.

2) Well, I've tried several drives, from old and slow to fast and new, no differences.

3) It only takes SDRAM/EDO, two slots. Tried different speeds too up to 133 Mhz. Currently using 66 MHz. No luck there, either. I still haven't determined if I have 2-clock or the 4-clock memory that Gateway recommends.

4) Haven't tried the CPU swap yet. I'll have to rip one from my AX-5 board. It works with XP already.

I've yanked every board from the system too, no change.

db
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Have you actually tried PC66 memory modules or just tried overclocking the FSB beyond 66FSB with PC100 and PC133 modules.
d_b
BIOS Newbie

No FSB overclocking. FSB always set to 66 Mhz. This board has only 60 and 66 options. Current memory is the old PC66 type purchase in 1997. I have tried others of that ilk too.

I need to see what CPU is under the heatsink. It might be overclocked from 200 to 233 MHz.

That is a possibilty, and might make a difference, however, like I said before: Mem-tests for many hours showed no mem faults whatesover.

That still might not be a good enough test for something else that's not working right if overclocked. hmmm... worth a look, isn't it.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I would still try 72 pin RAM without DIM RAM installed. From what you have told me I now don't think it will help anymore, but if it does help you may be able to for example consider the possibility that the DIM slots or the board are actually faulty, or draw other conclusions.

Following that I would go for the hard disk. Also try another CD-ROM drive. I have had sort of similar problems with reading from bad CD-ROM drives or actual CDs that were scratched or otherwise damaged.

Hope this helps you further.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

As I said, I don't think 72 pin RAM will solve the problem.

Apart from that, you have already tested memory quite thoroughly.

I am thinking now a bad mainboard. The next worst case scenario an incompatible board or BIOS problem.

I think if you have another compatible board that you know works OK with XP, and transfer all hardware from the first board except the first board to the second board, you will probably be OK and end up eliminating the board.
d_b
BIOS Newbie

Btw, maybe I failed to mention that this board only has 2 DIMM slots. I apologize if did.

All that hardware works great in the other system. I've migrated it from another Pentium system. So, until I try lowering the CPU clock speed and CPU swap...

Thanks!
stonent
BIOS Rookie

XP officially doesn't support Pentiums. Only K6's and Pentium II's.
Stonent
http://home.comcast.net/~stonent Stonent's Dell laptop site
d_b
BIOS Newbie

ABIT AX-5 Pentium 1 @ 200 MHz runs XP just fine with plenty of memory and new 8M cached drives. :D

Thanks for the tip.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I have also been able to run Windows XP on pre-Pentium II processors.

If I remember correctly, the minimum processor requirement for Windows XP is a Pentium 166MHz.
d_b
BIOS Newbie

For some reason it won't detect a wireless network card. I know they say it has to be P-III or better CPU, but I have P-IIs working with wireless cards nonetheless. There is no way I can seem to force the AX-5 to accept some type cards. Any ideas?
Last edited by d_b on Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

The PCI revision of your board is probably 2.1. If that is the case, make sure the card supports rev 2.1 (it may require rev 2.2).